TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Grinding in front wheels after tire change

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Xtrordinary, Jun 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Xtrordinary

Xtrordinary New Member

I am posting this to save others time in case they make the same stupid mistake I made.

I've got summer and winter tires mounted on two sets of wheels and I swap them out each season. Been doing this on all my cars forever. Swapped the winters off my Model X and put the summers back on, and then noticed a grinding sound on both fronts, especially when turning and reversing.

Normally wheel grinding is a bent heat shield or rock in the rotors, but after checking them and pushing the heat shields out, the grinding was still there.

After days of searching, I finally discovered what most of you probably already know:

YOU DON'T ROTATE MODEL X TIRES. I had moved and crossed over the rears to the front, and of course the sizes are different from front to back, so, duh, they didn't fit right.

Anyway, hope this helps somebody out there save some time.

• Informative x 4
  2. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

Well, at least you answered our question about if you can put larger tires on the front of a Model X.

3. bushburner

bushburner Member

the more you know

4. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

Thanks for posting.

5. zackmilo

zackmilo Chrome Delete Champion

Same thing happened to me. Shop didn't know.

6. rlpvl

rlpvl Member

You do rotate Model X tires, but by swapping right with left, not front with rear.

7. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Assuming that the wheels are not directional. If they are, you can't even rotate left-right. IIRC, the performance tires are directional.