Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for FOBO Tire Plus - $30 or $50 off, plus free express shipping ($20 value)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed that the psi reading changes up or down about .4 pounds while it's sitting cold.
Also one of my sensors read the tire temperature 4-5 degress higher than the other 3. I swapped it to another wheel and same results.
Anyone had any of the above issues?

I also have one sensor that reads higher than the others for no particular reason.

I'm experiencing the same issue

I have one sensor that seems to be reading four degrees cooler than the others. I'll have to test it more before stating that conclusively, though, as I have not tried swapping it to a different tire to test it.

So I got two black Fobo monitors for our two cars. Unfortunately my wife was not happy with the look on her car and refuses to use them. So I now have an unopened Fobo that I would like to sell since I'm not sure I could return it and I'm not keen on paying international shipping charges even if I could. I paid $179 I'd like to sell for 170. PM me if interested.
image.jpg

Re differing readings:.the one that is very different may simply be at the edge of, or out of, spec, and you should let fobo know about it. You can compare with a gauge to see if your others are consistent in the amount of difference - some diff is expected, since fob measures actual, not gauge, pressure.

Re changing by .4 lbs - that is the breakpoint for fobo accuracy, so the actual change might be minuscule,but showing up as .4 as it crosses the boundary, fobo can't show anything less...I find that happening sometimes on mine also...

re the Accutire...the in-car unit on the fobo lets you set an additional alarm point, along with the legal-required 25% one - I like to know when any tire has barely begun to drop, like 2 lbs, so I can get to it before it is a problem. Also the fobo+ lets you set high pressures, which the Tesla requires - if the accutire is made for normal car tires, you will be setting off the high pressure alarm on any warm day (don't see full specs for it, you can check). I'd just need to know more about these...

I think it's just competition. These devices should not be more than $50 IMO. The electronics are dirt cheap and at quantity, they can be produced at much less than $10 a piece. But these guys have to make their cut so hence the high cost. IMO, just wait it out, I'm sure cheaper clones will come out. And get a few extra just to be safe.

Also you failed to mentioned the FOBO probably have security feature. These Accutire version probably lack that stuff.

Well...I think that we have no idea what these cost to make. The electromechanical pressure sensor, which is pretty accurate, and can take the beating that an unsprung wheel gives it, might be pricey, and they aren't doing huge quantities yet, which might cut their cost down. I'm just saying that it isn't just a high-volume off-the-shelf chip in there...so we don't know the cost at present.

Hi Andy,

You are a popular guy, your PM box is full.

Yes, it was. I received a notification, made room, and sent you a PM apologizing all within about two minutes.

It would be great if this website software notified you when the box becomes full instead of just when someone tries to send you a message that would put you overlimit, but it doesn't do that.

Edit: I apologize again. Actually I see you made the first attempt perhaps twenty minutes earlier. I was responding to only the most recent one.

re the Accutire...the in-car unit on the fobo lets you set an additional alarm point, along with the legal-required 25% one - I like to know when any tire has barely begun to drop, like 2 lbs, so I can get to it before it is a problem. Also the fobo+ lets you set high pressures, which the Tesla requires - if the accutire is made for normal car tires, you will be setting off the high pressure alarm on any warm day (don't see full specs for it, you can check). I'd just need to know more about these...

The Accutire manual says it has a range of 5 to 99 psi.

Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 9.51.01 AM.png

Fobo folks - Just got this from the company, will be useful for those of us who have added a spare - those compact spares lose pressure quickly, and just not having to check the extra tire in the frunk manually will be nice.
----------------------------------------
This is to announce that the long awaited FoboXtra sensor is now available for pre-order at Fobo webstore at www.my-fobo.com.

FoboXtra serves as additional sensor that can be added to the default 4-sensors system of both FoboTire and FoboTirePlus, which many of you are currently using.

Users can add a maximum of 12 FoboXtra sensors to the soon-to-be updated Fobotire App. These additional sensors can be used for monitoring of spare tires, air suspensions for certain vehicles, trailers, caravan and the likes, which require more than the usual 4 tires pressure monitoring.

FoboXtra reads up to a max pressure of 600kPa or 87 psi. The App is now in final stage
of development and debugging and the released date is expected to be in late June, and the Xtra will be shipped latest July 1st.

FoboXtra was developed due to the many requests from Fobotire users, and Fobo is glad to reach another fabulous milestone in servicing the Fobotire community. The updated App will have additional new features and an 'Xtra page' to show the additional paired sensors, with conspicuous display and individually editable, to suit the various needs of demanding users. The Xtra sensor will not be linked to the incar unit, and can monitor pressure from 5-87 psi. This gives users full flexibility in deciding how they want to use the Xtras without jeopardizing the default incar system that will continue to monitor the main vehicle. Any alert from the Xtras will go directly to the paired phone, within the Bluetooth zone.

I received my set of Fobo sensors about a month ago, but just got around to putting them on today.

It seems that two of the four sensors are defective.

There was just some discussion in another FOBO thread that I believe concluded with the poster replacing two CR2032 batteries in his sensors, and then everything being fine. You may want to check that thread, and/or contact the company.

Edit: This is the post I was referring to: Fobo Tire Pressure monitor for smart phones - Page 19

Davidb- can you be more specific on what you mean by "defective"? And where did you place the in-car unit? A common issue is placing it where Bluetooth cannot penetrate....I put it on the dash in the flat area to the left of the top part of the big screen....and that works perfectly

I am unable to get two of the sensors to pair with the in-car unit. The in-car unit acted like there wasn't any sensor at all. Now, I do have LTE on my phone, and I've since then read that it might be interfering with the bluetooth signal, so I should turn off LTE and try again. Or, as Andy suggests, I might try replacing batteries (although I have no clue how to open up the sensor without damaging it).

I'll make another attempt to get them paired later today.

I am unable to get two of the sensors to pair with the in-car unit. The in-car unit acted like there wasn't any sensor at all. Now, I do have LTE on my phone, and I've since then read that it might be interfering with the bluetooth signal, so I should turn off LTE and try again. Or, as Andy suggests, I might try replacing batteries (although I have no clue how to open up the sensor without damaging it).

I'll make another attempt to get them paired later today.

The top of the sensor unscrews. You can then slide out the coin battery and slide it back in to 'reboot' the sensor. Be sure to screw the cap back on really tight and see that the silicone gasket stays in place.

Yes, apparently LTE messes up the initial BT sync. Just turn off LTE in your radio settings, and try again. Worked for me.

Also try repositioning the in-car unit so it "sees" all sensors- Bluetooth is sensitive to intervening material of car or battery....I have mine on flat spot on dash next to top left side of center screen

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of info here...I've been talking to Fobo about these issues and looking at the Accutire manual...

the Accutire sensors for their other product (which has an in-car unit), according to the user manual, are 25.5mm(D)x24.5mm(H), and weigh 15 grams - enough so that rebalancing is required (or just add the included 1/2oz weight to your wheel yourself!!). I haven't measured my fobos...don't know how this compares (rebalancing is not suggested as needed for fobo), or if the stand-alone Accutire sensors will be the same size as these.

I'll be very curious to see if we can determine how the construction techniques and materials compare on these Chinese ones vs. Fobo. Fobo is a major electronics company that actually produces products sold by the major Japanese electronics companies...I don't know enough about Accutire to comment, other than that they are Chinese...I certainly have my built-in prejudices against many Chinese "equivalent" products based on personal experience, but the truth will be in how each one lasts over time - Obviously, if the guts are similar in quality and longevity, then Accutire will have some appeal...we'll know for sure in a year or so!

I tend to go for products made by companies with serious quality commitments and manufacturing capability - I'm a musician, and use a pedal steel guitar volume pedal from Telonics that costs $500, vs. half that or less for other alternatives. It simply never will break - I've taken it apart and the construction/materials difference is quite obvious. And a ChiWahWah wah-wah pedal from Pluetoneium, same deal.

I just got another note from Fobo (I suspect that the last comment was only for me, but I included it anyway...):
"Another good news, Fobotire has underwent an extreme SAE J2657 compliance test and passed successfully. This is no easy feat. Please share if you wish. "
-and-
"one can download its App on to another device and read the sensors. This is a very tempting feature for theft. A thief can just steal it and use (fobo monitors require an account with Fob and can only be deregistered and moved by the owner).

The resolution is 0.5psi for Accutire while FOBO's is 0.1psi for Fobo and 0.2psi for FoboPlus. FOBO can read 2.5 times finer than Accutire!
The accuracy is +/-2-4psi for Accutire vs FOBO +/-0.2psi and +/-0.4psi for FOBOPlus. FOBO is 5-10X+ more accurate!
....All in all, Accutire is a very basic TPMS. FOBO is beyond its class. It is like comparing Tesla to Prius
smile.gif
"

------------------------------------------------------
As soon as the Accutire monitors are available, Fobo will do a head-to-head test and teardown and let us know what they see as the comparison...I've been really impressed with the personal commitment these guys have to making this product the "best of breed" (similar to my own personal career experience, which is why it resonated with me), which is why I've been giving them all of your feedback - keep it coming!