Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you remove the rear bumper? If so, did you make sure that the rear sensor connector was fully locked in when you reinstalled the rear bumper?

try rebooting the car before you do any dismantling. Just in case it’s a computer glitch.
I was actually never able to separate that rear sensor so I just pulled out how it was snapped into the holding spot. Yes, I'll try the reboot.

764D9A5E-F9F8-41F3-9391-F9D01ACA184C.jpeg
I left my stocks on and same here, it slams at the end. The Frunk closes extremely well. Anyone know how to adjust?
I asked hansshow and they sent this pic to adjust strength. You have to lock the trunk lid. It adjusts the closing strength.

So far we have 4 cars that have frunk closing issues. One built in June 2019, two built in July 2019 and one built in September 2019. It doesn’t seem to be market (eg, US or European) specific. Has anyone installed the frunk kit in a June 2019 or later built car and have proper closing of. the frunk?
My build date is June 4th. The Hansshow frunk struts work for me.

View attachment 470932
I asked hansshow and they sent this pic to adjust strength. You have to lock the trunk lid. It adjusts the closing strength.

I had the installers come out today to install my frunk ( alot of people having problems with) So, I asked the installers about the slamming of the trunk at the end and they said this was normal and there is no fix for it. I also asked them if I should put the stock bumper thingy back on, they said this would "possibly" put too much pressure on the motor.

You guys who are having problems with the Frunk not closing, here is your fix.
I had the installers come out today to install my frunk. They said they just left San Diego with another install and they found a solution. They said it was a simple adjustment. Well, it turns out it wasn't as simple as they thought. In a nutshell, they ended removing one of the brackets on the hood and used a Dremel to lengthen the holds to adjust the strut lower on the hood. I saw a post from another member a few posts up who has done this mod. They also unscrewed all the strut bolts to re-adjust, it didn't look like it needed a lot of adjustments (mm at most) My car is a 09-19 build. In my case the struts were short. Hope this works for some folks, I also suggested they add modified struts holders to their kits.

Is it everyone’s assessment that the HansShow Power Trunk does NOT open as far as the OEM struts? I keep trying to calibrate it to Max open height and it just does not seem to open high enough or as high as the OEM stockers.

Ski
i don't notice an issue. it opens high enough for me. i can't compare to what it was, but i guess i can look at a friend's trunk with stock struts and measure the distance.

Reactions: Skione65
i don't notice an issue. it opens high enough for me. i can't compare to what it was, but i guess i can look at a friend's trunk with stock struts and measure the distance.

Thanks guys. @yerEVan that would be great....I’ll try and get some time today to hold up the OEM struts next to the HansShow on the car and look at the extension difference. Seems like I’m now slightly bumping my head on the trunk lock on the lift gate and it wasn’t an issue before. (Maybe I’m getting taller! Lol). Just seems to me the extension height is less. I know everyone will ask but I’m only 5’ 9”. I’ve calibrated it to max open height per William at HansShow.

Ski

Is it everyone’s assessment that the HansShow Power Trunk does NOT open as far as the OEM struts? I keep trying to calibrate it to Max open height and it just does not seem to open high enough or as high as the OEM stockers.

Ski

updated firmware was posted here by @Macuir (post 457) to address the trunk height opening issue. I seem to recall it being somewhere around page 23 of this thread.

FYI - troubleshooting took me as long as the entire install did - so I paid dearly and hoping it can save someone some time if their kit is like mine.
I've installed several Hansshow trunk kits, two of them requested the foot sensor. I've never been able to get the foot sensors to work. Neither kit had the white wire cut at the dongle side, but they all have the white wire cut at the connector side. I haven't tested this yet (but I assume it is the case), that the white wire on the light plug actually routes to the white wire on the trunk switch. I've tried wiring the green wire directly to the white wire on the trunk switch and it still didn't work. I'm not sure what else to try, so I've told folks I won't install foot sensor kits now. :(

Regarding the frunk kits, I've installed several and so far only one car had the "taco" problem where it wouldn't fully close. I determined it was a problem on only one side of the car, and left the install with only one strut (which actually worked just fine). At the time I didn't have the tools on hand to elongate the holes on the bracket to correct the issue. But after seeing all the posts here, it looks like it's a more wide spread issue than I though. Note this was on a very recently built Model 3 (I don't have the exact date, but within the last 2 months).

On a completely different note, it's easy to start seeing the evolution of the Model 3 and how Tesla is simplifying (and doing cost savings) on the builds. The newer Model 3s have a lot less insulation in the trunk (oddly). The trunk lid cover no longer has a fiber sound dampening pad added, and the area around the trunk liner (by the bumper and to the left side) are also missing sound dampening pads that are found on earlier builds. The more recent trunk lid cover also uses 2 fewer mounting pegs than older models. Weird.

Finally received my Frunk kit after waiting a month+... Received absolutely no instructions so installed everything exactly per video. The Frunk will not close or even shut far enough to hit the latch. If I push down on the Frunk as it’s closing and make it latch then there is a huge gap on the drivers side fender to hood line. I have contacted customer service and they have told me to switch the cylinders from side to side and try a few other things but nothing is working. After spending who knows how many hours over several days I decided it’s not worth it and asked to return the kit and have gotten complete radio silence as a response. Anyone have any luck? My car was built in June 2019. Pics of before and after install with hood closed.

Attachments

• 089BFDA5-F8A2-4673-9854-8C6D6C6CB12D.jpeg
    089BFDA5-F8A2-4673-9854-8C6D6C6CB12D.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 61
  • C23924A0-7B4C-4048-B198-4200934A7004.jpeg
    C23924A0-7B4C-4048-B198-4200934A7004.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 72
Finally received my Frunk kit after waiting a month+... Received absolutely no instructions so installed everything exactly per video. The Frunk will not close or even shut far enough to hit the latch. If I push down on the Frunk as it’s closing and make it latch then there is a huge gap on the drivers side fender to hood line. I have contacted customer service and they have told me to switch the cylinders from side to side and try a few other things but nothing is working. After spending who knows how many hours over several days I decided it’s not worth it and asked to return the kit and have gotten complete radio silence as a response. Anyone have any luck? My car was built in June 2019. Pics of before and after install with hood closed.

see the posts above regarding the need to enlarge the holes of the strut bracket attached to the hood. It appears Tesla made a change around June 2019 and those owners are experiencing the same problem. Enlarging the holes allows for moving the bracket slightly, which took care of the matter got the other owners. See posts 633 and 646.

I've installed several Hansshow trunk kits, two of them requested the foot sensor. I've never been able to get the foot sensors to work. Neither kit had the white wire cut at the dongle side, but they all have the white wire cut at the connector side. I haven't tested this yet (but I assume it is the case), that the white wire on the light plug actually routes to the white wire on the trunk switch. I've tried wiring the green wire directly to the white wire on the trunk switch and it still didn't work. I'm not sure what else to try, so I've told folks I won't install foot sensor kits now. :(

Regarding the frunk kits, I've installed several and so far only one car had the "taco" problem where it wouldn't fully close. I determined it was a problem on only one side of the car, and left the install with only one strut (which actually worked just fine). At the time I didn't have the tools on hand to elongate the holes on the bracket to correct the issue. But after seeing all the posts here, it looks like it's a more wide spread issue than I though. Note this was on a very recently built Model 3 (I don't have the exact date, but within the last 2 months).

On a completely different note, it's easy to start seeing the evolution of the Model 3 and how Tesla is simplifying (and doing cost savings) on the builds. The newer Model 3s have a lot less insulation in the trunk (oddly). The trunk lid cover no longer has a fiber sound dampening pad added, and the area around the trunk liner (by the bumper and to the left side) are also missing sound dampening pads that are found on earlier builds. The more recent trunk lid cover also uses 2 fewer mounting pegs than older models. Weird.

@icefree,

Have you WhatsApp’ed William @HansShow on the foot sensor issue to find a solution to getting them operational? I’ve installed mine in the bumper but haven’t had a chance to solder/tap the foot sensor wiring up.

Ski

Thanks guys. @yerEVan that would be great....I’ll try and get some time today to hold up the OEM struts next to the HansShow on the car and look at the extension difference. Seems like I’m now slightly bumping my head on the trunk lock on the lift gate and it wasn’t an issue before. (Maybe I’m getting taller! Lol). Just seems to me the extension height is less. I know everyone will ask but I’m only 5’ 9”. I’ve calibrated it to max open height per William at HansShow.

Ski
When I was about to install the struts, I did notice that OEM opened the trunk maybe a couple inches higher but nothing significant. It doesn't feel like the HS are robbing us of height. My 2 cents.