Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How to adjust to “Max Height” on Trunk. Something with pushing the trunk Button and holding on trunk panel when open? It’s not opening to max height.

Ski

Check here my post to fix that --->

New Update for the trunk(Hansshow):

A few days ago I reported to Hansshow an issue concerning the trunk. During the opening the Trunk never reaches the maximum extension of the struts. (You can easily see if you have the same problem by pushing up the trunk when it's wide open, you will notice it's not completely open).

So this morning I got an email with an update. I just tested it and it's working great. the file is attached here, please make sure to change the extension of the file to ".bin" before doing the update. I had to change it to ".txt" to get the right to attach it here.

Tools:
1. A TF card with 8G memory (under 16G is ok).
2. An equipment can read TF card (notebook, etc).

Upgrade process:
1. Format the TF card (format selection "FAT32", default cluster size)
2. Put the file into the TF card.
3, change the file name to update.bin
4. Insert the TF card into the control box slot.
The control box red light will flash rapidly (upgrading). After about 5 seconds, it will stop flashing and the red light will be on (upgrade is complete). Then pull out the TF card and the red light will return to normal flashing (red light flashes slowly). (The green light is always on during this process)
5. If there is no fast flashing or the flashing time is short (within 2S), or after upgrade the red light is not always bright, this is a phenomenon that the upgrade is not successful.
You can insert the upgrade again, you can insert the card first and then plug in the power. If you still can't upgrade normally, you need to change the TF card. (The name must be changed to update.bin or it cannot be upgraded normally).

After the update you need to reset the position and speed of the struts.

Feel free if you have any questions.

View attachment 470932
I asked hansshow and they sent this pic to adjust strength. You have to lock the trunk lid. It adjusts the closing strength.
764D9A5E-F9F8-41F3-9391-F9D01ACA184C.jpeg

This really helped soften the closing. Thanks!
The one thing I still need to figure out is why the trunk doesn't open on the first try after it has been closed for a little while. I can hear the trunk unlocking but the lid does not come up. I have to press the button again and then the trunk opens. I thought it was related to the open strength setting but I followed the instructions and made the opening strength 5 (holding the black button in the hub) but it is still doing the same thing. This doesn't happen in subsequent trunk openings unless it is closed again for a little while. Any thoughts?

View attachment 472403
This really helped soften the closing. Thanks!
The one thing I still need to figure out is why the trunk doesn't open on the first try after it has been closed for a little while. I can hear the trunk unlocking but the lid does not come up. I have to press the button again and then the trunk opens. I thought it was related to the open strength setting but I followed the instructions and made the opening strength 5 (holding the black button in the hub) but it is still doing the same thing. This doesn't happen in subsequent trunk openings unless it is closed again for a little while. Any thoughts?

MAJOR ISSUE WITH FRUNK KIT

For those of you whose frunk doesn't close all the way--I filed the screw holes on the strut brackets so I could move the bracket forward so the frunk could close all the way. All started out good until I had to calibrate the hood. First it would close and latch all the way, but wouldn't open. I could hear the latch unlock, but the hood didn't go up. So I lifted the hood to help it, but it wouldn't open. So I manually opened the hood and then tried to close it. I'm not exactly sure how/when it happened, but during the process of trying to get the hood to open and close and synced properly, there was a point where the hood was closed and didn't open and when i used the app to try and open it, it seems as if it was trying to close. Apparently, it pulled so hard to close that it pulled my hood into my windshield cracking my windshield! I was so pissed! Contacted Hansshow and requested a refund and cost to replace my windshield as I thought it doesn't pull hard enough to damage anything (like a hand caught in the frunk). I am totally sick about this as my car is only a month old. So be extra careful as it could result in major damage to your car!

Edit: So in thinking how my windshield could have cracked, I think when it was trying to close when the hood was already closed somehow moved or bent the hood hinges, because when the hood did open, it was closer to the windshield and broke the windshield when it opened fully. I've attached the factory struts again and the hood at the windshield is now below the level of the side fenders and the front gap at the front of the car to the bumper is twice as big as it was before.
IMG_4391.jpg
IMG_4390.jpg
IMG_4389.jpg
IMG_4385.jpg
IMG_4384.jpg
IMG_4383.jpg

MAJOR ISSUE WITH FRUNK KIT

For those of you whose frunk doesn't close all the way--I filed the screw holes on the strut brackets so I could move the bracket forward so the frunk could close all the way. All started out good until I had to calibrate the hood. First it would close and latch all the way, but wouldn't open. I could hear the latch unlock, but the hood didn't go up. So I lifted the hood to help it, but it wouldn't open. So I manually opened the hood and then tried to close it. I'm not exactly sure how/when it happened, but during the process of trying to get the hood to open and close and synced properly, there was a point where the hood was closed and didn't open and when i used the app to try and open it, it seems as if it was trying to close. Apparently, it pulled so hard to close that it pulled my hood into my windshield cracking my windshield! I was so pissed! Contacted Hansshow and requested a refund and cost to replace my windshield as I thought it doesn't pull hard enough to damage anything (like a hand caught in the frunk). I am totally sick about this as my car is only a month old. So be extra careful as it could result in major damage to your car!

Edit: So in thinking how my windshield could have cracked, I think when it was trying to close when the hood was already closed somehow moved or bent the hood hinges, because when the hood did open, it was closer to the windshield and broke the windshield when it opened fully. I've attached the factory struts again and the hood at the windshield is now below the level of the side fenders and the front gap at the front of the car to the bumper is twice as big as it was before.View attachment 472665View attachment 472666View attachment 472667View attachment 472668View attachment 472669View attachment 472670

Wow, that sucks.. Im wondering why your hood is so far back?? Did you happen to loosen the hinge bolts to cause the hood to slide back? You only need to adjust the strut hinges.

I tried to install the frunk myself and turned out to be nightmare with the uneven hood a week ago. Today, the installers came out to fix my frunk and install my trunk + foot sensor. Took them 10-15 mins to fix the frunk problem (had to adjust to almost every bolts attached to the hood due to the poor design of the car) and 2.50 hrs to install the trunk & foot sensor. At the end, it was worth to pay the installers to do the job.

I tried to install the frunk myself and turned out to be nightmare with the uneven hood a week ago. Today, the installers came out to fix my frunk and install my trunk + foot sensor. Took them 10-15 mins to fix the frunk problem (had to adjust to almost every bolts attached to the hood due to the poor design of the car) and 2.50 hrs to install the trunk & foot sensor. At the end, it was worth to pay the installers to do the job.
What did they charge for the frunk adjustment? I’m wondering if that would help people out here to maybe get an installer to help fix their misalignments.

installer adjusted the bolts on the hood (as circled in photo). If the top bolts didn't work, installer needs to adjust the bolts at the bottom (as shown in the bottom circle which I didn't have to). afterward, installer went adjust the two bolts in the front (see photos). The process can repeat itself until both sides are level.
Since the installers have plenty of experiences leveling the hood, I was glad they came than for me to play with it for hours. So far, the installers have seen less than 10% of the M3 with the uneven hood which were fixable by them.

Attachments

• struts.jpg
    struts.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Spring.jpg
    Spring.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 70
Any recommendations for a installation in So Cal? How much are you guys paying for installation of frunk + trunk?

My certified Hansshow installers from the Bay Area traveled down to Southern CA last week (LA and San Diego) to do M3 installation. I don't think Hansshow has a certified team in Southern CA yet. You may want to contact Willam at Hansshow for a referral in Southern CA.

• Informative
Reactions: hydro 481