Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guess the damage costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pffft, with one of my past cars, I had someone hit the back and take off without leaving a note. I reported it to my insurance and they required a police report. My wife and I were waiting in the car for the officer to show up and take a report when *another* car rear ended me. We got out of the car and she took off as well.

Fortunately, we managed to copy down her license plate, and we were informed she was arrested and had to cover the full cost of the repairs.
Sounds like you chose a poor place to park if you got hit twice lol. Sorry, that really sucks. I had some work done to my ICE a couple of years ago... had one whole side repaired because it was attacked by a herd of shopping carts. The week after I got my car back somebody in my work parking lot sideswiped the rear panel of the other side. I was not a happy camper :(

$35 to $72 per hour? Isn't that crazy low? Knock on wood, I haven't had to deal with a body shop ever, but considering the hourly rate for mechanics etc, I was expecting a lot more.

Overall, your estimate is cheaper than I would have thought...I was thinking 2x for the door alone. "Good" news I guess.

$35 to $72 per hour? Isn't that crazy low? Knock on wood, I haven't had to deal with a body shop ever, but considering the hourly rate for mechanics etc, I was expecting a lot more.

Overall, your estimate is cheaper than I would have thought...I was thinking 2x for the door alone. "Good" news I guess.
$35/hr was listed as item "Paint". There was "Paint Labor" which was at 8.9hrs same with Paint. I was expecting it to be more expensive myself. The estimator did say the parts have come down from what they used to be.

So I reviewed the audio from my dashcam and the conversation went something like this:

"My newphew in law works for Maaco."
"I'm not taking it (laughing) to no Maaco I can tell you that right now."
"No?"
"I guarantee you I ain't taking it to no Maaco!"
(chuckle) "Why you had experience there?"
"Maaco is POS. (embellished)"

</end discussion>

• Funny
Reactions: iwannam3 and Max*
$35/hr was listed as item "Paint". There was "Paint Labor" which was at 8.9hrs same with Paint. I was expecting it to be more expensive myself. The estimator did say the parts have come down from what they used to be.
If you are in Elk Grove, then you must be talking about Kniesels Rocklin. It's the only certified shop nearby. I Just got my MS back from them for a hood repair. I didn't realize the shop rates were that low.

So I got the car back yesterday March 10th. Final amount was $3025.49. Compared the original estimate from final and there's about $15 in parts unaccounted for and remaining difference was body work $345.60.

I get home and check the work further. Notice that the quarter panel is not flush with the door. The door itself protrudes so that leads me to believe the quarter panel was bent during the accident. I have called the body shop and waiting a response.

So it took almost 2 months from the time of accident to have it fixed or actual 9 business working days to do the actual work. I hope the 300 additional body repair shops come sooner than later.

As a followup I contacted their insurance company for a diminished value claim, today I received this insulting offer:

Mr. xxx

I tried reaching you yesterday afternoon but was unsuccessful. I’ve had your claim reviewed for diminished value. A few factors considered was the ACV, Mileage and the severity of damage and the recommended diminished value is $25.00.

As a followup I contacted their insurance company for a diminished value claim, today I received this insulting offer:

Mr. xxx

I tried reaching you yesterday afternoon but was unsuccessful. I’ve had your claim reviewed for diminished value. A few factors considered was the ACV, Mileage and the severity of damage and the recommended diminished value is $25.00.

Looks like the insurance company put the decimal place in the wrong place... What a pitiful offer. Is it reported on the carfax or anything?

Thanks Erik

Mr. xxx

I laughed, I'm sorry, I know I'm a horrible human being.

For your $2,700 repair I'd expect a lot more than $25 in DV. Are you going to fight it?

I laughed, I'm sorry, I know I'm a horrible human being.

For your $2,700 repair I'd expect a lot more than $25 in DV. Are you going to fight it?
It was more like $3,000 in the end. Took two months from start to finish. I was going to wait a couple of days after giving her my reply about the offer being insulting. I will then talk to my insurance company and possibly a third party regarding diminished value claims.

If you take into account the car was brand new a little over a year ago when the accident happened and the recent reports that Teslas maintain very high resale value, it was a big slap in the face. The insurance company in question is Liberty Mutual.

When I initially e-mailed them after the repairs were done, I didn't hear anything. So short of two weeks, I called and received a call back that same day. My point of contact throughout this claim maintains she didn't receive the e-mail when she did get back to me. She asked a few questions regarding my car and told me the person that handles diminished value claims would take up to 5 days to which I got a reply this morning.

I was hit in a parking lot about a month and a half ago. We have two certified shops in Portland. They were both within $40 of each other. Estimate was around $4600 to replace the rear driver side door. Farmers Insurance is saying they will only pay a labor rate of $90 per hour for a Tesla. The shop I decided to use charges $140 an hour for body work and $60 for painting a Tesla. I'm supposed to take the car in tomorrow, but the auto body shop is saying I will have to pay out of pocket anything Farmers refuses to pay. Farmers has agreed to pay $2,000 so far and to cover my rental car. I would suggest any of of you with a Tesla to change your insurer if you are insured with Farmers.