Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guesses on "token of appreciation" for line waiters tweeted by Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually the 1967 OST is only applicable to signatory entities. So while the US would be forbidden (as a signatory member nation) from "Claiming Mars", nothing in the language reasonably prevents an individual from doing so. That being said, it's logical that the UN would not recognize any such claim, but I would argue that UN recognition becomes moot upon a Mars colony becoming self-sustaining. Only Hubris would allow any Earth based govt entity to claim executive authority over other planets without a presence. To prepare the human society for future actions, I'm thinking Elon should start meme building, perhaps a Model 3 color option called "Martian Red"?

Hmmm, I wonder if the Space X legal team has combed over the treaty..........

I think one of the items was supposed to be some sort of miniature model 3. Perhaps they are waiting for the design of the car to be completely finalized before they order the miniatures. Although, I doubt the exterior will change drastically from the model 3's that were unveiled.

Another really cool thing they would probably never do, but would be a really cool gesture would be to ship the Model 3 fob to all of the people who waited in line.

Also, I've got to imagine that they won't send out anything until after we've confirmed reservations & placed an order. They don't want to send trinkets to people who end up cancelling.

I think waiting that long would severely reduce the goodwill generated by the gesture. I am sure the day after the gifts start arriving there will be another round of Tesla Model 3 stories in the media.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
This might help you pass the time ...

s-l1600.jpg

You guys, it's only been two months. How quickly do you think 125,000 scale Model ≡ replicas and design drawings (or whatever the item(s) are) can be produced, QC'd, packaged and mailed? I am not at all surprised or concerned that I haven't gotten anything yet, despite how much I am excited to receive the package.

Truth. While everyone is excited to be getting something, there were over 300K reservations made before Elon took the stage and revealed the Model 3.

It's not only making/mailing that many 'tokens of appreciation' (and I'd remember it's a token/small gesture of appreciation), but I'm sure Elon's tweet was the first that the mktg department heard about it - so first thing, they had to determine just what they could get in sufficient quantity. Then get a contract in place with the vendor. And so on.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it's likely a hat. A t-shirt would require knowing sizes. Making a Model 3 replica and shipping those out would likely exceed 'token of appreciation'.