Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guesses on "token of appreciation" for line waiters tweeted by Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I would really like the option for Signature Red paint on my Model 3. It's a small thing that they could set up for employees and people who registered in line on the 31st. I'll gladly pay the $1,500 or whatever that would cost, but let us early registrations at least have the option for it.

I'd be happy with that as our thank you.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I would really like the option for Signature Red paint on my Model 3. It's a small thing that they could set up for employees and people who registered in line on the 31st. I'll gladly pay the $1,500 or whatever that would cost, but let us early registrations at least have the option for it.

I'd be happy with that as our thank you.
Speaking as a Sig owner...
I'd have no problem with this.

Speaking as a Model 3 buyer...
I'd be tempted to get that color if offered.

Speaking as a realist...
Won't happen.

• Informative
Reactions: callmesam
I haven't received anything yet either... starting to wonder if Elon changed his mind after he realized the cost of sending something to over a hundred thousand reservers.

What makes people think it's over 100,000? The gifts were for people who lined up. Not for people who came into a store during the day, or simply reserved before the reveal.

I'm not sure how they would work out who queued but it's only going to be a few hundred per store. So maybe 10,000 gifts worldwide?

What makes people think it's over 100,000? The gifts were for people who lined up. Not for people who came into a store during the day, or simply reserved before the reveal.

I'm not sure how they would work out who queued but it's only going to be a few hundred per store. So maybe 10,000 gifts worldwide?

My guess is between 25,000 and 50,000 reservations where made in stores world wide.
With 92 locations in the US and an avg of 200 per location that is 18,400.

Your numbers are off a little. during the reveal Elon Musk announced they had reached 115,000 reservations in the past 24 hrs.
300k was the first week +/-
Yes, I'd been corrected. But as I said in my last post, regardless of the total I'm just glad they're recognizing folks whether they're picking just those who stood in line or those who placed an order before seeing the vehicle. It's all good.

Truth. While everyone is excited to be getting something, there were over 300K reservations made before Elon took the stage and revealed the Model 3.
There were only ~115k - Elon said so during the announcement. We also dont know how many of those came through the web. I think its safe to assume there were less than 100K in person reservations. It was probably closer to 60-75k if you use the store reporting data that was crowd sourced.

*edit - sorry for beating a dead horse - didnt see the prior replies before posting

There were only ~115k - Elon said so during the announcement. We also dont know how many of those came through the web. I think its safe to assume there were less than 100K in person reservations. It was probably closer to 60-75k if you use the store reporting data that was crowd sourced.

*edit - sorry for beating a dead horse - didnt see the prior replies before posting

I'm laughing.

What I'm trying to say, though, is that the exact number is irrelevant. It's a bigger than a breadbox and there are a lot of hoops to go through before shipments of anything can be made.

... Unfortunately my point got lost with everyone busy correcting the number. I'm gonna let this thread just go that direction and go on my way. Y'all carry on. :)

That's an interesting point that I didn't consider. Are you sure that it's only for those who lined up? I was second in line at the Chicago Grand Avenue store, however there were many people who walked up at 10AM and streamed in with those who camped out for hours. How is Tesla going to separate the streamers from the campers.....or do they really care?

There's really no way to tell for sure who lined up before the store opened versus who reserved in person later in the day. The simplest course of action is to acknowledge all those who deserves in person on March 31st. Do a thought experiment, imagine a line that countinuously replenished during the day so that there was no pause in reservations. How do you differentiate that from one long single line in a practical manner? Everyone who reserved in person will get acknowledged IMO, much easier to do.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
There's really no way to tell for sure who lined up before the store opened versus who reserved in person later in the day. The simplest course of action is to acknowledge all those who deserves in person on March 31st. Do a thought experiment, imagine a line that countinuously replenished during the day so that there was no pause in reservations. How do you differentiate that from one long single line in a practical manner? Everyone who reserved in person will get acknowledged IMO, much easier to do.

My guess is that they will look at each store and stop the token of appreciation after a significant gap of no reservations being made. So it could end at 10:00 AM for one store, but 3:00PM for another store because of how long the line was and/or that it replenished continually.

My guess is that they will look at each store and stop the token of appreciation after a significant gap of no reservations being made. So it could end at 10:00 AM for one store, but 3:00PM for another store because of how long the line was and/or that it replenished continually.

This level of analysis seems unlikely. More likely that a small gift is sent to all First Day reservations holders. :cool:

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

I walked into a store at lunch time, no line waiting. Was told by the person helping me to "expect something in the mail from Elon" to say thanks.

Can't imagine they would or could make any distinction so arbitrary as to whether or not you physically stood in a line.

This level of analysis seems unlikely. More likely that a small gift is sent to all First Day reservations holders. :cool:

That level of analysis is like ~15 minutes for someone to write a query against the database. Not difficult at all. The only analysis would be for how long you wanted the gap to be, 15 minutes, half hour, or ?

While I think it would be great to send it to all ~115k people that reserved before the reveal, I suspect that less than half of them probably waited in line. So it would save Tesla a lot of money to limit who got the gift. (Just shipping alone for 58k people would likely cost $350,000. (Not to mention that actually gift(s), packaging, etc.)