Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guesses on "token of appreciation" for line waiters tweeted by Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really? Security cameras is just one easy way.

Look at it this way, would you rather have more false positives or more false negatives? Tesla can dedicate staff to review hours of security camera footage not only for their stores, but also neighbouring vendors (in situations where the line snakes outside of Tesla property), how easy and practical is it really? This isn't a murder mystery...but if you really want to count reservation holders for one location only: Tesla Motors on Twitter

Let's do a second though experiment: Your false-positive is someone just came into the store when there was a lull in the line-up queue, and your false negative is you fail to acknowledge someone who actually waited in line. You'd rather have more false positives in this case, in order to ensure 0% false-negatives. As I said before though, everyone who did place a reservation on March 31st in person did make a conscious effort to do so. The reservation system can be queried to generate a report for everyone who made a reservation on March 31st using all store locations. Doing anything more than that is a waste of time and money, the value of the token of appreciation does not warrant so much effort.

Let's do a round number cost benefit analysis.

First, assume Elon really wants to make a point so everyone who reserved in person on the 31st plus all of the Tesla and SpaceX employees who reserved on or before the 31st get a gift shipped to them. The instruction goes out, order 125,000 gifts (Who knows, having a few thousand extra might come in handy someday.

Next, the decision is made to go over the top and including taxes and shipping it comes to $30.00 per gift. Mr. Musk, please write a check for $3,750,000.00 and we will throw in an extra gift for each of your kids. Tesla picks a Saturday for the first deliveries hoping for a slow news day.

Shockingly, over 75% of the television stations in the US mention it in their nightly news. Most of the Sunday newspapers cover the "story". Elon gets invited to a couple of late night shows the next week (maybe he hands out some of those extra gifts to the audience). Oh yeah,125,000 reservees talk about nothing else at work on Monday while showing off their bling.

Or Tesla decides advertising is the way to go and buys a thirty second ad during Super Bowl 50. Airtime is $5,000,000.00 and figure another $2,000,000.00 to produce it. Just under twice as much as the $30.00 gift.

Which would you choose. And in reality, something that costs $15.00 or $20.00 each would be pretty darn nice.

upload_2016-5-26_17-10-36.png

Our token for reserving

That's an interesting point that I didn't consider. Are you sure that it's only for those who lined up? I was second in line at the Chicago Grand Avenue store, however there were many people who walked up at 10AM and streamed in with those who camped out for hours. How is Tesla going to separate the streamers from the campers.....or do they really care?

I would love it to be everyone (and indeed it might be) but Elon tweeted that it would be for those that lined up (tweet and image below).

I would think it would be fairly easy to work out who lined up and it could be a time thing i.e. stores opened at 8am and so by 9am you might have cleared the backlog. Possibly longer if there were 800 in the line.

It does seem a bit funny to me that it's a token of appreciation for those that lined up but it goes to all 135,000 first day reservers including those that lobbed into a store at 4pm and walked straight up to the counter. Kind of loses it's meaning if it's for everyone.

Elon Musk on Twitter

zsRCv3B.jpg

a "token of appreciation", even if tweeted, should not be expected, but just that, a token of appreciation. I think a lot of people are setting themselves up for disappointment expecting something quite grand. Is everyone going to start ranting when a mailed postcard as your token shows up vs something with a monetary value? Or if it is something of significantly less value than expected, like a key chain or sticker (apple style)?
Personally, when I reserved, the only thing I expected to get from it was the ability to give Tesla another $40k +/- in two years +/-.

a "token of appreciation", even if tweeted, should not be expected, but just that, a token of appreciation. I think a lot of people are setting themselves up for disappointment expecting something quite grand. Is everyone going to start ranting when a mailed postcard as your token shows up vs something with a monetary value? Or if it is something of significantly less value than expected, like a key chain or sticker (apple style)?
Personally, when I reserved, the only thing I expected to get from it was the ability to give Tesla another $40k +/- in two years +/-.

Yup, very well said.

Dan