Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guesses on "token of appreciation" for line waiters tweeted by Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
a "token of appreciation", even if tweeted, should not be expected, but just that, a token of appreciation. I think a lot of people are setting themselves up for disappointment expecting something quite grand. Is everyone going to start ranting when a mailed postcard as your token shows up vs something with a monetary value? Or if it is something of significantly less value than expected, like a key chain or sticker (apple style)?
Personally, when I reserved, the only thing I expected to get from it was the ability to give Tesla another $40k +/- in two years +/-.
I think it's a little presumptuous to assume that "everyone" is expecting "something grand." Yes, some have wished for expensive upgrades, so they might be disappointed (if they were serious). But to assume that "everyone" will be, isn't right. I, for one, will be happy to get anything from Tesla. A key-chain would be super-cool. Heck, a card or envelope with the Tesla logo would be cool! :D

I think a lot of us are just getting a little antsy, wondering what the token will be, not that it has to be something expensive or amazing.

I never said "everyone" was expecting grandness... but questioned if "everyone" would be disappointed, specifically thinking that "everyone" was those who had expected something grand.
At any rate, it doesn't really matter. I believe we're all big kids here. If people are setting themselves up for disappointment, that's their problem. I just don't think we need to state the obvious, at the risk of casting a pall over the whole thing.

I think we are all just having a bit of fun, and passing the time.

Yep, two reservations. One for me, one for a family member.
Glad you did so. It will be a good marker for when Tesla owner reservation holders start getting their deliveries (even though you are west coast and I'm east, this will be helpful.) ALSO, if you don't mind me asking, did you wait in line? If so, what time did they submit your reservation? I was right at 10:01 am Eastern time...

• Informative
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
Glad you did so. It will be a good marker for when Tesla owner reservation holders start getting their deliveries (even though you are west coast and I'm east, this will be helpful.) ALSO, if you don't mind me asking, did you wait in line? If so, what time did they submit your reservation? I was right at 10:01 am Eastern time...
No, I didn't wait in line. I was on a flight to LA at that time (though I did stop by during the night and cheer the line folks on). I reserved at the party that night, before Elon went on stage.

The party timing was fortuitous - I was already flying to LA. My sis & I had planned to leave on a roadtrip the next morning, but delayed by a day because of an offered SpaceX tour on Friday.

Reactions: ModelX
No, I didn't wait in line. I was on a flight to LA at that time (though I did stop by during the night and cheer the line folks on). I reserved at the party that night, before Elon went on stage.

The party timing was fortuitous - I was already flying to LA. My sis & I had planned to leave on a roadtrip the next morning, but delayed by a day because of an offered SpaceX tour on Friday.
Wow that's perfect. What a neat moment to witness in person... historic in my opinion. My only fortuitous moment has been a recent one that I did not expect- was driving near the University of Dayton here in Ohio (where there is a level 2 charger) and did a double take because I thought I saw a Chevy Bolt prototype turning down a sidestreet. I took a guess at where he was headed and I drove straight to the level 2 charger, sure enough, a younger gentleman accompanied by his father was plugging in a Bolt test mule. Talked with him and turns out he was an engineer from GM's michigan plant on a weekend road trip. Let me say this... I'm glad I reserved the 3. I thought the Bolt might look better in person, but it does not. Also, I can't imagine trying to do a road trip with only level 2 chargers. Lastly, I laid down next to the vehicle and looked underneath it, and I swear I saw a gas tank near the rear of the undercarriage. It would make sense esp if they wanted the Bolt test vehicles to be mobile or able to drive the battery to depletion for testing purposes. Anyways just thought that was interesting that I ran into a Bolt and it further solidified in my mind how much better the 3 is/ will be.

• Informative
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
a "token of appreciation", even if tweeted, should not be expected, but just that, a token of appreciation. I think a lot of people are setting themselves up for disappointment expecting something quite grand. Is everyone going to start ranting when a mailed postcard as your token shows up vs something with a monetary value? Or if it is something of significantly less value than expected, like a key chain or sticker (apple style)?
Personally, when I reserved, the only thing I expected to get from it was the ability to give Tesla another $40k +/- in two years +/-.

Personally I am happy just receiving anything Tesla Model 3 -related and I have no expectations. Any token of appreciation from Tesla would be great. The biggest gift from Elon Musk will be to get the Model 3 a little earlier. As we only have one Tesla now, it is quite painful when I am stuck driving the ICE Subaru Forester without Autopilot and (having to go to gas stations to fill up).

Unlikely scenario below. Remember that in some locations like Silicon Valley, the lines were constant all day long :cool:

I would love it to be everyone (and indeed it might be) but Elon tweeted that it would be for those that lined up (tweet and image below). I would think it would be fairly easy to work out who lined up and it could be a time thing i.e. stores opened at 8am and so by 9am you might have cleared the backlog. Possibly longer if there were 800 in the line. It does seem a bit funny to me that it's a token of appreciation for those that lined up but it goes to all 135,000 first day reservers including those that lobbed into a store at 4pm and walked straight up to the counter. Kind of loses it's meaning if it's for everyone.

Elon Musk on Twitter

zsRCv3B.jpg

This doesn't even qualify for first world problems, this is more like the problems of the 1%*.

*maybe 5%.
LOL.. Funny and true. My wife and I are both physicians. We are otherwise fairly frugal with these cars being our first real splurges. Most prospective model 3 owners are still fully on ICE so I should be very grateful for being able to drive Tesla half the time. Huge upgrade from my 2006 Acura TL.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Musk say the gift was for those who waited in LONG LINES? I would find the tweet, but my phone's battery is dying.

I think he did say that but it would be hard to quantify what a "long" line is because some lines moved faster at some locations than others etc... I think they will look at who reserved in person at the dealership on 3/31 and everyone who did will get a small token of appreciation like a keychain or Tesla license plate holder, or something.