Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guesses on "token of appreciation" for line waiters tweeted by Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That definitely would not work. There are too many random reasons why there might be a small gap in reservations. What about the person that reserved 5 minutes and 1 second after the previous one? Oops, sorry, just missed it. Guess you weren't waiting in line.

Sure it would, it wouldn't be perfect but no other solution would be either. If they wanted to they could look at each store and see that reservations were placed every X number of seconds. Then pick a time period greater than that, I just made up 5 minutes, and say if someone placed a reservation more than X minutes after the previous one, it is very likely they didn't have to wait in line. And neither did anyone after that.

But, I agree with everyone else, this is a silly thing to be debating...

Not after the fact, no. There was no direction from corporate to monitor when *exactly* there were not more line waiters. The whole idea is silly anyway.. "please record and communicate back to corporate the exact time the line ended, so we can eventually send out a token gift to everyone who waited on line." I'm sure they were focused on about a thousand more important things at the moment.

And no, you can't tell just by looking at the list when the lines ended by timestamp -- there will always be exceptions and anomalies to create a rule that works for hundreds of store locations. It's much simpler to send something to everyone and be done with it. Who has time (or the care) to finely separate out the "line waiters" from everyone else?
Down to the exact correct last line waiter, no, but I don't think they'd care if they're a few off.

Certainly they wouldn't substitute "line waiters" with "everybody" just so they're not off by a few people per store.

Also, at least at my store, there were 2 people taking orders next to each other. When the line ended, more than likely, one would go back to work, and they could easily figure out when that happened by the fact that that person/machine wasn't taking deposits anymore.

So yah, it's trivial to figure this out in multiple ways.

The whole line waiting gift conversation is like beating a dead horse. We'll know when/if people start receiving gifts or receiving special options in the configurator. Perhaps the gift will be a surprise at vehicle delivery.

What's more interesting is that no new configuration invites have been sent. I'm not really surprised since the 2017 delivery window is essentially closed at this point. I fully expect the next batch of invites to be for January 2018 delivery.

Reactions: navguy12
Love it ... more details here: Elon Musk’s Boring Company unveils a flamethrower, starts pre-orders for $500
screen-shot-2018-01-27-at-8-08-05-pm.jpg

Perfect!
What is Elon? 10?
Barely...
That just seems crazy. Liability? Lawsuits? Bad behavior encouragement? Too much red wine and ambien?
Yes to all
I just bought one. It will be good for deicing the Model 3. :eek:
Correct

Last edited:
Reactions: Kacey Green
What is Elon? 10?

hat took a really long time to ship, over a month. out of the blue one day I got a notification from USPS that something was coming from Santa Clarita. That was the hat.

Bud Mertz Parrot Media. Was like I know a Mertz. The guy is my bud, but his name is not Bud.

Reactions: nvx1977
That just seems crazy. Liability? Lawsuits? Bad behavior encouragement? Too much red wine and ambien?

Asked about the legality, Musk tweeted today,

"ATF says any flamethrower with a flame shorter than 10 ft is A-ok. Our design is max fun for least danger. I’d be way more scared of a steak knife."

To my view, looks like a joke taken too far. Technically may be legal, but, not so hard to imagine 12-14 year olds, or older folk with similar judgement, doing some quite regrettable things with these. Order online, Paypal an option... a motivated 14 year old could get one shipped to them. Doesn't seem worth taking this joke one step further.

Garlan,

Thanks for reporting me for "insulting you". I have yet to hear from the Mod police, but I am sure the bots are chirping for me soon.

You are widely reported as the Model 3 VIN guy. My apologies if your feelings are hurt. It was more of a compliment than anything. Hope you get your 3 soon so you can get your line waiting stuff.

Moderator. I am self imposing myself to a 30 day ban. If after investigation you feel it is warranted to add more. Please do! I have shared so much it really isn't fun anymore here.

I get kids crawling in my car. Genuinely excited people about a car. Meet friendly folks that want to learn about EV's. Laugh have fun. That is called reality. Lately I have seen less than that in this place we call TMC. I could go into a diatribe, but that would be reserved for off topic.

Till then folks. I will be putting miles on my Tesla's. That is the real enjoyment. Along with my Flamethrower.

Oh Wait. Who called the CEO of Tesla 10? I kind of forgot that part....:eek: