Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guessing this won't buff out...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went out to my car this AM and saw a bag on the window. Found a note indicating that the author of the note hit my car late last night. Very nice of him to leave a note.

However, how the hell do you hit a car that is all alone in a parking lot.

2017-08-16%2008.26.06.jpg

My guess (although I have not evidence of this) was a bit too much to drink. However, he did leave a note. So he was honest about it.

Still kinda sucks on a brand new 100D. XPEL wrap didn't save me.

Although you can see it in the picture, the bumper is actually cracked.

2017-08-16%2008.26.16.jpg

Does anyone know how to gather information to submit a diminished value claim?

I

while I am far from an expert in these matters, it appears that the fascia is the only thing that has been damaged, a replacement piece installed would make the car good as new. and there wouldn't be any sort of diminished value.

I went out to my car this AM and saw a bag on the window. Found a note indicating that the author of the note hit my car late last night. Very nice of him to leave a note.

However, how the hell do you hit a car that is all alone in a parking lot.

2017-08-16%2008.26.06.jpg

My guess (although I have not evidence of this) was a bit too much to drink. However, he did leave a note. So he was honest about it.

Still kinda sucks on a brand new 100D. XPEL wrap didn't save me.

2017-08-16%2008.26.16.jpg

OMG!!! I would be SOOO bummed, hope they fix it.

Why would you need to submit a DV claim, when nothing has been presumably reported?

My thoughts on DV is that the car will now have a car fax report indicating it was involved in an accident. Will the car be fixed and look as good as new - yes. When I go to sell the car and I have to indicate it was damaged in an accident, I presume it will be adjusted downward compared to the same car without the damage.

My thoughts on DV is that the car will now have a car fax report indicating it was involved in an accident. Will the car be fixed and look as good as new - yes. When I go to sell the car and I have to indicate it was damaged in an accident, I presume it will be adjusted downward compared to the same car without the damage.
How will Carfax show anything if there was no police report filed? Some body shops do report body parts ordered based on the VIN, but that's a different story.

That is painful. I know. Something similar happened to me three months ago with just over 1800 miles on the odometer.

20170817_091032.jpg

The authorized Tesla repair shop quoted between $4200 and $4600, depending on whether or not I opted for a patch job or a whole new bumper. Reapplying Xpel is close to $800 alone - included in the estimate. My damage is much less than the OP's.

Extortion? Perhaps.

I am attempting to collect from the at-fault party prior to pursuing an insurance claim. I did obtain a police report.

If going through insurance, I would highly consider an additional diminished value claim given the high cost of the repair which may impact the resale value. I have collected on DV on two previous incidents, but getting an insurance company to agree to pay the amount in full is near impossible in my experience.

Hope everything works out for the OP.

Reactions: shelbri
Have you confirmed the information on the note is good and talked to the person? I had someone back my car in a parking lot a long time ago, and the information left on the note was all bogus.

I called the number and the person answering claimed no knowledge of any accident. I had a friend in the police department run the name, number, and address after I could not find the address on Google, and he could not find any matches either. I'm guessing someone else saw what happened, and the person wrote some info down and then left.

This is why I immediately put a dash cam in the Tesla after I got it.

Have you confirmed the information on the note is good and talked to the person? I had someone back my car in a parking lot a long time ago, and the information left on the note was all bogus.

I called the number and the person answering claimed no knowledge of any accident. I had a friend in the police department run the name, number, and address after I could not find the address on Google, and he could not find any matches either. I'm guessing someone else saw what happened, and the person wrote some info down and then left.

This is why I immediately put a dash cam in the Tesla after I got it.

Yes - The information was valid. I called him that morning and he had already submitted a claim with his insurance carrier for his car and accepted liability for the damage on my car. An honest guy, that made a mistake and owned up to it. I appreciated that.

Looks like it needs a new bumper cover and paint. I would try to get it done off insurance as its still driveable whilst waiting for parts supply

It is going through the insurance policy of the responsible party.

I also spoke with the Tesla authorized body shop in North Haven, CT and they acknowledged that it might take some time to get the parts. Fortunately, my car has no issues being driven so we will order the parts and bring it in for repair only after all the parts are delivered.

Hopefully, we won't have a surprise of additional parts being needed after they remove things.

It is going through the insurance policy of the responsible party.

Glad to hear the at-fault party is so incredibly honest. Definitely the best part of a bad situation. Be sure to note that Xpel was on your bumper at the time of the incident.

You may want to consider a diminished value claim. I have used Autoloss twice. They provide good service and they are responsive. The cost of their detailed report is usually $250. I have worked with Monica Fisher each time: 877-655-1661 / [email protected]. They provide the report, you still need to have it submitted to the at-fault insurance company.

Again, insurance companies will do their best to avoid paying DV claims. The second DV claim I submitted for a minor fender bender resulted in collecting only enough to cover the cost of my DV report. And that was after many phone calls, faxes and emails that I had to make myself even though our insurance company was involved.

In short, a DV claim for minor damage may prove to be more of a headache than it's worth, especially if the incident never shows up on a Carfax. However, if you're willing to put up with the hassle, then you may be able to collect on the dimished value that your Tesla may have incurred.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
I have an ICE vehicle which has had one comprehensive claim, and two claims against other drivers - all were major insurance companies, all repair work completed by national brand bodyshop - claims ranges from 3.5K to 8.5K after deductible. Carfax shows nothing. I am starting to think the insurance companies are explicitly instructing the bodyshops not to report - specifically to avoid DV claims.

As far as Carfax showing accidents, i believe they only know of any accident on a car if there was a police report done.
My previous car slid on some ice into a curb and insurance took care of it but nothing about it showed up on carfax. Same with my sister backing into a concrete pole. Never showed up on carfax or autochex.

But those are just my experiences.

while I am far from an expert in these matters, it appears that the fascia is the only thing that has been damaged, a replacement piece installed would make the car good as new. and there wouldn't be any sort of diminished value.

Not necessarily true. An accident, even one that's fully repaired and especially if reported to Car Fax (or other tracking entity) most definitely reduces a car's value. Spoken as a person who waged a successful court battle against Allstate for a diminished value claim.

That is painful. I know. Something similar happened to me three months ago with just over 1800 miles on the odometer.

View attachment 242085

The authorized Tesla repair shop quoted between $4200 and $4600, depending on whether or not I opted for a patch job or a whole new bumper. Reapplying Xpel is close to $800 alone - included in the estimate. My damage is much less than the OP's.

Extortion? Perhaps.

I am attempting to collect from the at-fault party prior to pursuing an insurance claim. I did obtain a police report.

If going through insurance, I would highly consider an additional diminished value claim given the high cost of the repair which may impact the resale value. I have collected on DV on two previous incidents, but getting an insurance company to agree to pay the amount in full is near impossible in my experience.

Hope everything works out for the OP.

Please tell us your final cost when you get your Tesla bumper all repaired.
I would love to know if you are going to replace the bumper or something else?
Time line of how long it takes to get part and time at body shop.