Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had accident today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heading home after an MOT
Large flatbed truck turning right in his lane at a set of lights. I'm going straight on in the left lane. Can in front goes past the truck. As I start to move past he turns right and the back of his truck swings out catches the car. He didn't even realise. Had to chase him down to get his details
Absolutely gutted

Attachments

• 20220511_094600.jpg
    20220511_094600.jpg
    660 KB · Views: 158
  • 20220511_095724.jpg
    20220511_095724.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 20220511_095718.jpg
    20220511_095718.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 109
Not his fault though, as I'm sure you know. Just one of those things that happens with HGV's. Protected no claims?

thats pretty rough damage, and because its across both the bumper and the front wing, its a big repair. Hopefully the wait won't be too long. Is the car still ok to drive?

That sucks I'm sorry to hear that. Worst time to be in an accident with all of the shortages. A coworker has been waiting a month for his EV6 parts so it's affecting everyone. Unfortunately his isn't drivable. Looks like it's at least drivable so hopefully you can still drive it until the parts come in.

Not his fault though, as I'm sure you know. Just one of those things that happens with HGV's.
Cant tell if you’re being sarcastic…

Aren’t HGV’s meant to practice defensive driving so that they need to take up 2 lanes if they can’t make the turn in one lane?

I appreciate it is just one of those things, but I can’t imagine the HGV’s insurance company has a leg to stand on.

Hopefully sentry cam was running and has recorded it.

Last edited:
If I went up the inside of a bus in the lane opposite to me that was turning left, and got squashed, I'd probably expect to be told I should have some understanding of how large vehicles turn, where their blind spots are, etc and that I should have held back until it had completed its maneuver.

Likewise if I saw a flatbed truck with (I presume?) a winch on the back I would be mindful of the fact that it is not going to turn a corner like a car would, and that - like a bus - part of it is going to overlap my lane when it was just turning normally.

Hopefully you get this sorted without stress, but I'm not so convinced as others that it's 100% blameless, sorry to say.

100% his fault if any part of his vehicle entered your lane. He hit you.
Absolutely. I had identical back in the 70’s in my Morris Minor. I was near side going straight on, he was turning right. HGV made his turn badly and almost tore off my drivers door with his trailer wheel. I had to chase him too while holding the door on!
No dash cams in those days but his firm paid in full.

Large flatbed truck turning right in his lane at a set of lights. I'm going straight on in the left lane. Can in front goes past the truck. As I start to move past he turns right and the back of his truck swings out catches the car. He didn't even realise. Had to chase him down to get his details
Absolutely gutted
Sorry to see this, hope everyone is ok.

100% his fault if any part of his vehicle entered your lane. He hit you.
The OP attempted to pass by the truck while the truck was initiating a manoeuvre so I'm not sure how you can blame the truck driver.

If the driver just sits there until its clear, if its a busy area, they could be there all day. That's just not a practical or realistic expectation I'm afraid.

Reactions: Wol747
Cant tell if you’re being sarcastic…

Aren’t HGV’s meant to practice defensive driving so that they need to take up 2 lanes if they can’t make the turn in one lane?

I appreciate it is just one of those things, but I can’t imagine the HGV’s insurance company has a leg to stand on.

Hopefully sentry cam was running and has recorded it.
Not being sarcastic. As I just responded above, you need to be observant to everything around you.

I'm not blaming the op by the way, just picking up that he may think that, and I don't think you can pin it on the hgv driver

Sorry to hear this, I hope you're not too down.

When my Model X was off the road for 5 months after the front of it got ripped off by a lorry entering my lane, I eventually got hooked up with a company who provide high-end courtesy cars when the other driver is at fault. If this turns out to be the case for you, ping me on here, and I'll try and find their details. They wanted to see the dashcam footage, and were like "this is definitely his fault, and if it's not, we won't charge you".

We got a Mercedes S Class for most of it, and brief spells with a Range Rover and a Model S.

Reactions: Jonnymack74
Ouch! Hope the repair isn’t too costly.

My current ICE company car (waiting for M3LR after 4yr lease finishes) had 3 dents appear within the first few weeks after picking the car up. All in carparks. I think I’ll try to be parking my M3 as far away from other cars as possible!

Absolutely gutted
Sorry to hear do you have the footage you can upload?