Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had an accident today, few questions on driving the Model S after Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SO an update guys, need some advise if there is any to be offered.

So the two beams coming on either side of the frunk seem bent. Also all the parts holding the suspension are cracked, the hole where the tow hook goes is mis aligned to the point where it couldn't be treaded on. So the GEICO adjuster is going to the shop this week any advice, if it is considered a total loss?

The car was delivered on 3/31 for the quarter end, sticker was 128K, and it has close to 6000 miles. How is a value determined?

So the GEICO adjuster is going to the shop this week any advice, if it is considered a total loss?

Looking at the pictures it looks like a total, but it depends on if the Tesla shop says it can be safely repaired or not. Insurance totals when repair cost exceeds 70% of value. Since our cars are quite valuable it takes a lot to total them.

The car was delivered on 3/31 for the quarter end, sticker was 128K, and it has close to 6000 miles. How is a value determined?

If you have a regular policy (ACV) the insurance must pay you enough to buy a comparable car. So whatever amount of money it takes to get a car of the same age, miles, condition and options. Remember that the insurance will give you an offer. If it's low, you don't have to accept it. Find cars for sale that cost more than what they're offering and give them a counter offer.

Looking at the pictures it looks like a total, but it depends on if the Tesla shop says it can be safely repaired or not. Insurance totals when repair cost exceeds 70% of value. Since our cars are quite valuable it takes a lot to total them.

If you have a regular policy (ACV) the insurance must pay you enough to buy a comparable car. So whatever amount of money it takes to get a car of the same age, miles, condition and options. Remember that the insurance will give you an offer. If it's low, you don't have to accept it. Find cars for sale that cost more than what they're offering and give them a counter offer.

Spoke to the body shop today, the guys are saying that both frame rails need to be replaced. Apparently tesla says they can be replaced, since everything behind the firewall is in tact, basically the entire front will be replaced. I don't know about all that.. Im not comfortable.

Spoke to the body shop today, the guys are saying that both frame rails need to be replaced. Apparently tesla says they can be replaced, since everything behind the firewall is in tact, basically the entire front will be replaced. I don't know about all that.. Im not comfortable.

How do the painted pieces that come down from the roof and meet the front quarter panel and hood look? That's a giant and very expensive part (~$22k each, if I recall?). Certainly damage to those would help push you towards a totaled vehicle.

Realistically, they need to replace literally the entire front end of the car. There can't be much, if anything, in there that's salvageable. Still, at $128k MSRP and only a few months old, you probably need to hit something like $80-90k+ worth of damage for the insurance company to total it without question. Might be tough without any expensive stuff up there.

I don't know what outcome you're looking for, but I'd be hoping for a dinged up battery if I were you. Best of luck working it out.

I'm sorry. I tried to find the paperwork showing exactly what I paid for gap insurance with Alliant but none of the loan documents I could find showed that value. I recall it being right around $350, though.

Sorry Birju... I hope everything is well.

I am posting about this GAP insurance in this post since we discussed about this earlier:

I hope this info helps other TESLA buyers.

I took advice of AmpedRealtor and called several insurance companies. I found an insurance that provides GAP...but they term it as "Premier New Car Replacement package."

Please see details below:View attachment premier new car replacement (1).pdf

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

Gap insurance through Costco/Ameriprise added $26/year to the policy.

Ended up with a 50% total policy discount for multicar (45%) and Costco membership (5%). When the other car sells, will probably switch back to Geico else Wawanesa, neither of which offer either gap insurance or stated value coverage for that matter.

How'd the above accident/settlement/drive-ability work out?