TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Hail Damage Repair Wyoming?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by pox, Oct 3, 2015.

1. pox

pox Member

I was on my way back from Casper yesterday and with out warning I saw a bunch of cars on the side of the road and then a massive hail storm! It was crazy loud and I was afraid that my pano roof might brake. After it passed the all the glass was okay but my car looks a bit like a golf ball with at least 22 dents I have found so far. They are on hood, trunk, sides of the pano roof and one of the rear side panels. I called my insurance state farm and they said to find a shop to get it repaired, I call Tesla and they said there are no certified shops in Wyoming and to just find a shop that can work on aluminum.
    Any recommendations on a shop? If not in Wyoming I could go to Colorado or Utah.
    DSC02324 (1).jpg DSC02325.jpg DSC02326 (1).jpg DSC02327 (2).jpg DSC02329 (1).jpg DSC02330 (1).jpg DSC02331 (1).jpg DSC02321 (1).jpg DSC02322 (1).jpg DSC02323.jpg

2. NorCalSJ

NorCalSJ Member

I can't help you with a repair shop but I feel you pain...22 dents, unbelievable. Good luck with the repair.

3. pox

pox Member

I wonder if the dents can be removed or if they will have to replace the hood and panels?

4. OlderThanDirt

OlderThanDirt Member

Ouch!! That's painful to look at. I've had the unfortunate opportunity to go through that also, $11,000 dollars worth. Ours was a steel body car but I can vouch for the ability of a good paint-less dent repair technician. They can work wonders. Here is a video I found online working with an aluminum hood. From the work I've seen being done this guy is pretty skilled. Not saying a body panel might not need replacing but this may be a great alternative.

Paintless Dent Repair Aluminum Hood - YouTube

5. riptide87

riptide87 Member

My S85D had two quarter sized dents in the hood from coming too close to a sudden tornado back in April. I got them fixed at Dent Away in Fort Collins. I had a couple other quotes from other paintless dent repair shops and the others were quite a bit more expensive. If Colorado is not too far of a drive, I recommend Dent Away as a great shop that can do aluminum. You can't tell where the dents were now. Good luck with getting your car fixed.

6. pox

pox Member

It's about 5 hours way, my sister lives there. If I can't find something closer I'll have to call on Monday.

7. hailmasters

hailmasters New Member

Hail Masters is a Paintless Dent Repair Shop in Cheyenne, Wy. Located at 4912 Ridge Rd. World class results and are experts with aluminum. 1-866-GOT-HAIL.

8. pox

pox Member

hailmasters have you done worked on a Tesla before? You might want to call up Tesla and see if you can get added to their list of certified repair shops.
    I would feel better taking my 100K car to a Tesla approve shop.

9. RandyS

RandyS Fan of Elon

Hailmasters, I'm assuming you work there?

Has your shop worked on any Teslas? Just curious about your experience...Any photos of Tesla work?

10. hailmasters

hailmasters New Member

Hello Pox. I have extensive experience working on very high line vehicles. I have done work on vehicles before going through the Barrett-Jackson Auction House in Scottsdale, Az. I have traveled the world repairing autos that have been damaged by hail. I've not actually worked on a Tesla however the panels are accessible just as other high line vehicles are. My repairs are flawless and I encourage my customer to watch the process of repair if it makes them more comfortable. I am not aware of any paintless dent removal companies that are Tesla approved. However, you have given me an idea and maybe I will be the first. Please contact me if you have any questions or If I can give any suggestions or advice for repair. 1-866-GOT-HAIL? Thanks, Bob

11. hailmasters

hailmasters New Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

12. pox

pox Member

I got the car out into the day light and there are way more dents then I had thought on the hood. Might another 10 smaller less deep dents. It's hard to get pictures of them the car is very reflective.
    Frame-04-10-2015-06-49-17.jpg

13. Sogorman

Sogorman Member

Unfortunately I think this is going to get totaled out

14. pox

pox Member

Turns out there are a few shops in town that work on aluminum so I'm getting quotes now. Here are some better photos with tape on the dents.
    IMG_3323.jpg IMG_3324.jpg IMG_3325.jpg IMG_3326.jpg IMG_3327.jpg IMG_3329.jpg IMG_3320.jpg IMG_3321.jpg IMG_3322.jpg

15. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Ouch! Ouch! Ouchouchouchouchouchouch!!!!!!!

Please keep us informed....and that the vehicle didn't get totaled.

Ouch!

16. pox

pox Member

At least I know how strong the glass roof is now, It was crazy loud and we thought the glass might break at the time.

17. Armadillos

Armadillos Member

Please do keep us updated on this. Sorry to hear about the damage to your car! :(

18. pox

pox Member

I took it to a couple places for a quote, waiting to here back from them and the insurance. I was planing on driving it down to Vegas this weekend and having the LTE upgrade done. No so sure I should now.

19. sdoorex

sdoorex Member

I had PDR done on mine to remove about 75 dents from dime to quarter size hail. Dents were all pulled and the car looks like new. I don't have any before pictures but the worst hits were a 1/2 inch depression in the A pillar right above where it meets the fender and a 3/4 depression in the middle of the hood. Some trim was also replaced and the total came out to about $5600.

20. pox

pox Member

Who did you use?