Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Half day fixing all the issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I am just wondering if you think it is possible that Tesla fixed all the deliveries issue in one day. I dropped my MY to service center this morning and went through a the issues (about around 10+ concerns including the alignment issues, bigger gap on driver side door, etc,etc). They gave me an estimation that the service will be done by end of this Friday. I just got a text message from the service center that my MY is ready for pick up. I checked the invoice and I think they didn’t make any fixes at all:

Concern: Customer: Various misalignments/gaps: Tail lights and headlights; trim around wheels; charge port door; near glass roof; Driver side door alignment issue. The front right side gap is larger than the left. - Marked with Yellow Tape

Performed adjustments on all requested areas to meet Tesla specifications. Technician was unable to adjust charge port door. Removed and replaced the charge port door, verified proper fitment.

Correction: General Diagnosis

Am I right that the “General Diagnosis” means they did nothing fix? Or is it possible for them to fix every alignment issue in just one day? If they say all the alignment issues are within spec, what should I do?

Yes I saw that - “Performed adjustments on all requested areas to meet Tesla specifications”. But it also says it is only a “General Diagnosis”. I don’t think diagnosis is fix, and I doubt they just think all the issues are within the spec. It is really hard for me to take another morning off to the service center if all the issues have not been fixed, it just wastes time. It’s hard to believe they are able to fix all those alignment issue within one day. A few pictures about the alignment issues in attachment.

Attachments

• 9DA7CC78-7751-4F47-9C06-C48403DEE6C2.jpeg
    9DA7CC78-7751-4F47-9C06-C48403DEE6C2.jpeg
    284.1 KB · Views: 132
  • AB4780D7-9D27-41A4-A7E4-BD76F733DC51.jpeg
    AB4780D7-9D27-41A4-A7E4-BD76F733DC51.jpeg
    376.9 KB · Views: 279
  • 1C86BF7F-DF18-48D0-B93B-AFD591B03DD0.jpeg
    1C86BF7F-DF18-48D0-B93B-AFD591B03DD0.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 4788C371-880F-4C01-8CF2-4E3930AC6C6D.jpeg
    4788C371-880F-4C01-8CF2-4E3930AC6C6D.jpeg
    447.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 7A7DBF84-D68F-4104-AF4C-C4866093AEBC.jpeg
    7A7DBF84-D68F-4104-AF4C-C4866093AEBC.jpeg
    256.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 19BEB0F3-AB85-490D-A91F-4D1C39E74D8C.jpeg
    19BEB0F3-AB85-490D-A91F-4D1C39E74D8C.jpeg
    395.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 2BDF9E44-01F8-4A4A-A769-C71FDA6EDDBB.png
    2BDF9E44-01F8-4A4A-A769-C71FDA6EDDBB.png
    1 MB · Views: 100
  • 360E63EA-66A3-47A0-945B-B8F08622F07C.jpeg
    360E63EA-66A3-47A0-945B-B8F08622F07C.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 92
  • D74CD28C-CECA-4C8D-9967-1FEBFBDD6AFF.jpeg
    D74CD28C-CECA-4C8D-9967-1FEBFBDD6AFF.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 97
General Diagnosis Is just a classification of the problem you have. I believe they have fixed the major gaps and it’s hard to tell without going there. You could text them before you pick it up to confirm the work that was done

Yea right, nothing was fixed. I guarantee they’ll give you the standard “within specs” speech. Hey, at least they only wasted one day instead of holding onto your car for nearly a week and only addressing one issue, like they did to me!

I’m pretty sure he posted the before pics, not the afters...

The best way to find out if they fixed the issues is to go look at the car. Ignore the trolls and take the staff and the car on their merits.

Don’t expect the best, or even a modern fitment quality with anything Tesla until they retool all their body and frame castings, moulds, welds, etc. I’m waiting at least another 5+ years to consider another Tesla as things like this ruin the premium, or even new car experience for me. Unacceptable in 2020.

The SC might be able to help readjust things but a lot of the times it’s due to loose manufacturing tolerances and poor QC. And besides, I’m sure the SC have bigger fish to fry.

If you're still within your 7 day return window that might help motivate them to fix some of those issues to your satisfaction. If it's after the period where you can return the car, you may indeed get the standard, sub-standard "it's within spec" response to your complaints.

Sad part is, it probably is within specs (however loose they may be) and the employees are just doing what they are told. Like I said, they have bigger fish to fry like replacing billions of charge ports, MCUs, and window regulators under warranty while they defecate part revision 256853 and fart app for slow dying mcu.

Half kidding aside, To be honest, the guys at my SC are very good with going the extra mile and are take care of me. The one across town, not so much...

Tesla bought their initial heavy machinery/dies/tools from NUMMI for pennies on the dollar. But dies, presses, machinery all wear out and have a replacement schedule. I wonder if Tesla has adhered to the recommended schedules or if that's part of the problem we are seeing in regards to the poor fitment of body panels.

forum user Diamond Hills owns a shop that does a lot of work on Teslas and he mentioned how he has to reject body panels due to fitment issues. He'll get a new one and he would have to return it again to poor fitment issues. Makes me wonder if Tesla body panel presses are worn and out of spec...

But hey, the stock is doing incredibly well. :rolleyes:

BTW, garyhe23, can you show me some pictures of your MY front the side views? I'd like to see how well your doors match the rest of your car. I've postponed taking delivery of my white MY because of the many examples I've seen of mismatched paint on the doors to body.

For your sake I certainly hope they handled your issues. The door alignment and the hatch alignment are pretty bad.

I’m back from the SC. No surprise, they did not fix all the issues, or at least I don’t think they fixed all. Tesla may think they fixed as they believe everything is now within spec.

I can see that they actually “fixed” or took some actions on some alignment issues. The hatch alignment issue was clearly mitigated and the gap is smaller (though I still think it is not perfect). They also fixed the alignment issue of the back middle seat - one of the two “perfect” fixes from this service, the other one of course is the charging port, they replaced with a new one.

The driver side door looks a little better, or maybe it is just my impression.

The one that didn’t get any fix is the fronk cover. The gap on the left is still bigger than the other side. I don’t even believe they tried.

When I was picking up my MY, I also spent sometime at their parking lot and checked a few MYs to make sure my remaining alignment gap is within spec. I could find the hatch alignment issue, the fronk cover alignment gap, the bad charging port, etc,etc. maybe those cars have these issues and that why they are either waiting for service, or waiting for pick up after service.

I’m not 100% satisfied for the service, but at least they fixed few issues. I will try to schedule another service to see what will happen.

Tesla is a very unique and interesting company. But again and no matter what, I will never never never again buy their new models in the first 12 months.

BTW, garyhe23, can you show me some pictures of your MY front the side views? I'd like to see how well your doors match the rest of your car. I've postponed taking delivery of my white MY because of the many examples I've seen of mismatched paint on the doors to body.

For your sake I certainly hope they handled your issues. The door alignment and the hatch alignment are pretty bad.

I think I have the same issue. I also checked the other MY on the delivery day, it has the same painting issue. This is particularly obvious for the white MYs, and I feel the painting for white MYs is a litter “thin”, maybe that’s why the white paint is “free”. I will try to get some pics for you.

Reactions: raggedy