Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hall of Shame-- Supercharger Parking Over Time (SPOT)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I almost did not make it home because two electric cars: BMW i3 and MS were in charging slots and looked to be charge. I was annoyed. I unexpectedly stopped at a resort for lunch when my friend suggested it. Really my fault for running the battery so low, to be honest. I thought it would be good to use the lower range of the battery, which I very rarely ever do. I limped home with 1 mile to spare.

I think destination charging points at hotels, etc., should set up a system like this:

Pull in and plug in. Then go to the desk to activate the charger. After some set amount of time (a very reasonable charging time for the driver), the desk calls the driver to move their car. I don't know if it would be feasible. Just an idea. I was disappointed that the Tesla driver did not leave a cell to call to ask if they were done charging.

It was my first time being stuck in this situation and it was nerve wracking for an anally retentive detail person! I learned my lesson on running the battery down.

I think it will require a solution that needs less input from the car that is already charging. Unfortunately HK attitudes are more towards the selfish.

Maybe Tesla could add some charge complete indicators on their SC. When charge completes, you also get a notification on your phone. If after 10 minutes, the car is still plugged in, the charge cable will remote unlock.
Next, SC cables are made longer. Maybe long enough to cover 1-2 spaces on either side of the parking spot. Someone can park in the waiting spot adjacent to the charger and take the cable to charge their car.
One extra idea: Space the SC further apart. Make them so that there 2 SC for every 3 spaces. That way we have waiting bays and a built in buffer for people who ICE the spots.

Side benefit. With a longer cable, we could park across the front of an cars icing the SC and still charge. When they come to take their car, they need to explain the the carpark why they iced the spot.

Very close to my plan that i didnt type out all previously. And even better to musk whilst charging too.
Remote unlocking is very good
I think it will require a solution that needs less input from the car that is already charging. Unfortunately HK attitudes are more towards the selfish.

Maybe Tesla could add some charge complete indicators on their SC. When charge completes, you also get a notification on your phone. If after 10 minutes, the car is still plugged in, the charge cable will remote unlock.
Next, SC cables are made longer. Maybe long enough to cover 1-2 spaces on either side of the parking spot. Someone can park in the waiting spot adjacent to the charger and take the cable to charge their car.
One extra idea: Space the SC further apart. Make them so that there 2 SC for every 3 spaces. That way we have waiting bays and a built in buffer for people who ICE the spots.

Side benefit. With a longer cable, we could park across the front of an cars icing the SC and still charge. When they come to take their car, they need to explain the the carpark why they iced the spot.

In order to solve the public charger issue, i suggest Tesla is to link the SC with Octopus. When a Tesla arrives at the SC, the driver taps the octopus to activate the charger, the first hour is free. Subsequent hours will be charged say @ 50 - 100 / hour. The good thing about this is a) Tesla is still providing free charging service, b) the high parking fee should get some people to move its car once charged. The bad thing is there will still be people who don't care about the high fee.

Of course, the trick is to disallow unplug until the fee is paid.

In order to solve the public charger issue, i suggest Tesla is to link the SC with Octopus. When a Tesla arrives at the SC, the driver taps the octopus to activate the charger, the first hour is free. Subsequent hours will be charged say @ 50 - 100 / hour. The good thing about this is a) Tesla is still providing free charging service, b) the high parking fee should get some people to move its car once charged. The bad thing is there will still be people who don't care about the high fee.

Of course, the trick is to disallow unplug until the fee is paid.

That is some idea! But first hour free is a bit harsh, as batteries get bigger, sometimes one hour really isn't enough to get the battery to "Daily". I suppose it would be better to start counting time of SPOT 15 mins after charging has reached "Daily", this gives the owner enough time to return to his car and unplug the cable (and leave the stall). But if his Octopus card has already been recharged $250 once that day and he has already used it up, he will have to manually top-up his card again with cash, and sorry, he'll probably have to pay by the time he returns to his car again.

That is some idea! But first hour free is a bit harsh, as batteries get bigger, sometimes one hour really isn't enough to get the battery to "Daily". I suppose it would be better to start counting time of SPOT 15 mins after charging has reached "Daily", this gives the owner enough time to return to his car and unplug the cable (and leave the stall). But if his Octopus card has already been recharged $250 once that day and he has already used it up, he will have to manually top-up his card again with cash, and sorry, he'll probably have to pay by the time he returns to his car again.

Great idea but that requires special hardware for SC in Hong Kong, an idea I mentioned elsewhere is for Tesla to requiring registration of valid credit card account if owners want to enjoy free SC charging, it's kind of like Apple walled garden iTune. Owners may opt out of this if they have home charging.

If owners/drivers don't behave (drivers fell a sleep in the car or watching a movie on his tablet) then credit card will be charged. Tesla could, in the fine print, deny access of certain abusers completely.

since it is not likely for any technical solutions to be available soon I think this may be an possible alternative. Just to help improve the etiquette for charging?

il_570xN.736677987_4rai.jpg
il_570xN.736547568_g2x3.jpg

https://www.etsy.com/hk-en/shop/TakeChargeandGo?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Parked at Science Park from 5:50pm to 8pm (still there when I left at 8pm). I saw him when I went to charge at 5:40pm, there was a line up of 3 more cars already. He got his spot around 5:50pm (I noticed because there was a bit of a farcas on the line up que... some people who arrived later pulled to the very front, and some people who arrived earlier just parked their car at the end of the line instead of moving forward which left no space for new arrivals but to pull ahead of them; plus he had nice after market wheels LOL). I only charged for 15mins to get what I need and left at 6pm since there was a line up. Came back after dinner to top up and he was STILL parked and connected at 8pm (charger port light has already gone out)! And there was still 2 cars waiting in line. NOT COOL.

DSC_1747.JPG

This isn't applicable to Tesla, the plug is locked until owner is back. Some charging stations are designed to eject the cable when charging is complete or limit (time or kWh) is up.

The pictures above are of a J1772 with the adapter. The S will keep the adapter locked to the car. The J1772 handle can most certainly be unplugged.