Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Handbrake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The manual implies that the parking brakes are only applied if you do this. By implication only, it seems that a short press simply puts the transmission into Park mode, whatever that means, and does not apply the parking brakes. On an automatic ICE (or on early ZOEs) that would have involved a rod being inserted into the transmission to prevent rotation (not sure about the latest automatics or DSGs). I'd be interested in knowing what is involved for a Tesla.

Anyway, I do press the button for 1 second whenever I would have used the handbrake on an ICE, just to be certain that the parking brake is applied.

Given the architecture of the drivetrain the parking brake would have to be engaged whenever power is removed to the drive motors, so I'm pretty sure the parking brake is applied whenever you get out of the car or after an auto-park. The longer press probably just increases the clamping force for steep inclines etc.

Given the architecture of the drivetrain the parking brake would have to be engaged whenever power is removed to the drive motors, so I'm pretty sure the parking brake is applied whenever you get out of the car or after an auto-park. The longer press probably just increases the clamping force for steep inclines etc.
If it is in fact a pawl then there's no increment of pressure possible. Does it engage the brakes at all?

You can press is in an emergency if you have a hydraulic brake failure.

When parking there doesn't seem to be 100% consensus but if seems using the manual parking brake feature applies more force to the rear brakes, over what the vehicle normally does when it is placed in Park.

I believe there is no parking pawl in the transmission so Park does already use the rear brakes as the holding mechanism.

There is much discussion on this around many forums, but the general view is...

Short press does apply the actuated rear brakes, for which you can hear the motor whine.

A long press does reapply, sending another shot of energy to the actuator and puts the parking break icon in a screen. In effect, a little bit more force. You can hear that apply as a gentle motor/clunk sound. This would be useful if the car is on a slope, just to be sure. This might be a consequence of the design rather than the actual design.

When moving, the long press more gently (compared to when parked but still feels forceful) applies the actuated brakes to bring the car to a halt. Useful you find the foot brake has failed.

There has been some discussion that using the long press always may put extra pressure on the actuator, thereby slightly shortening it's already long life. But I'm not convinced of any practical difference.

You probably don't need to do this.
You just reminded me that when I test drove the car I was concerned that the brakes might not hold on my very steep driveway and was pleased to see this 'enhanced' braking option.
I of course totally forgot about this option and have never used it. The car has not moved an inch when parked on the drive.

Reactions: Simonix
You probably don't need to do this.
You just reminded me that when I test drove the car I was concerned that the brakes might not hold on my very steep driveway and was pleased to see this 'enhanced' braking option.
I of course totally forgot about this option and have never used it. The car has not moved an inch when parked on the drive.
Glad to read this. I must admit, parking on a slope was my main concern with this “elusive” parking brake.

Whilst on topic of sloping driveways, there have been a number of reports and videos of the cars just sliding away irrespective of handbrake.

Its not clear whether this is a new thing (speculation that its because its a heavy car but imho its no heavier than many other cars out there) or there is genuinely something different in the behaviour of the cars interaction with a frozen surface - possibly warming a large thermal mass (battery) close to the ground. Not all of these occurrences have been with the car being parked on a potentially already frozen surface and that the freeze/snow has occurred after the car has parked.

We live in an area of many steep driveways and roads - several of the roads will have been frosted/frozen prior to cars parking on them. But you never hear of cars just sliding away so in this area with a statistically value sample set, parking a car on a steep frozen surface is not a historical issue.

chock.jpg

What we need are Tesla Wheel Chocks!

Chocks all round!