Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport 4s vs Hankook Ion EvoAS

Michelin Pilot Sport 4s vs Hankook Ion EVO AS

• Michelin Pilot Sport 4s

• Hankook Ion EVO AS

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time to replace the Pirellis. So here is where I stand: new Michelin Pilot Sport 4s (Tesla T0) for $1360 installed with no DT certificate vs Hankook Ion EVO AS for $1010 installed WITH DT certificate for my 22 Model 3 P (235/35R20).

PS4s worth $350 more over the Hankooks or is the Hankook good enough to pocket the game $350?

Oh, I live in Georgia where it's warm majority of the time with southern 'winter' weather maybe five months. I care about range quite a bit but not at the expense of a crappy handling tire hence why I am not leaning heavily on either camp.

Last edited:
I've had Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All Seasons on multiple cars throughout the years. Very familiar with them. Excellent tires, but the loudest among the rest of the popular AS tires.

However, I've decided to go Hankook iON EVO tires after test driving a M3P in damp conditions and after doing some spirited driving I can say without a doubt that the Hankooks are on par with the Michelin's.

The Hankook's were and are much quieter as well, something anyone should be able to notice after getting out of the same car/tire size with Michelin's.

I love my Michelin's PS4 AS, but they're obnoxiously loud. With the Hankook's you get the best of all worlds in my opinion.

Since range is what you're after, I'd go Hankook's hands down.

Time to replace the Pirellis. So here is where I stand: new Michelin Pilot Sport 4s (Tesla T0) for $1360 installed with no DT certificate vs Hankook Ion EVO AS for $1010 installed WITH DT certificate for my 22 Model 3 P (235/35R20).

PS4s worth $350 more over the Hankooks or is the Hankook good enough to pocket the game $350?

Oh, I live in Georgia where it's warm majority of the time with southern 'winter' weather maybe five months. I care about range quite a bit but not at the expense of a crappy handling tire hence why I am not leaning heavily on either camp.
I think only you will be able to judge whether $350 is worth it for the PS4S or not. You're comparing one of, if not the best, summer tires out there vs. an all-season. Also, top summer tires usually perform better in the rain than all-seasons (most people don't know this). If you don't see snow and it doesn't get below 40 deg, the only thing all-seasons will give you is more mileage, probably double or more.

I had predecessors to the PS4S on my G35 and they were superb. Except they only lasted me 19k. The expense isn't worth the cost for me, considering the few times I actually would push the limits of the tires.

Interesting debate
Here in lower NY 2nd year no winter snow, maybe with global warming, this is rhe new normal and no need for AS anylonger
Seems Hancook EVOs might be better for this new normal

My bad not thinking AS for the Hankcook EVOs
Hancook is heavily promoting quietness probably that is where Michelin lacks

In USA I believe Hankook is only selling the iON all-season version, not the summer version, despite what the website indicates.

At least at Discount Tire online there is only the AS for the iON line available.

Reactions: XPsionic
I've had Michelin Pilot Sport 4 All Seasons on multiple cars throughout the years. Very familiar with them. Excellent tires, but the loudest among the rest of the popular AS tires.

However, I've decided to go Hankook iON EVO tires after test driving a M3P in damp conditions and after doing some spirited driving I can say without a doubt that the Hankooks are on par with the Michelin's.

The Hankook's were and are much quieter as well, something anyone should be able to notice after getting out of the same car/tire size with Michelin's.

I love my Michelin's PS4 AS, but they're obnoxiously loud. With the Hankook's you get the best of all worlds in my opinion.

Since range is what you're after, I'd go Hankook's hands down.
Why are you commenting about the all-season Michelin? It’s true they’re loud, but they aren’t a tire the OP is considering.

The PS4 (Pilot Sport 4) by contrast is a VERY quiet tire, especially in the Tesla OEM fitment.

If you care about performance, the PS4 is worth the $$$. If you don’t, why buy the M3P in the first place?

To the OP: I’ve owned 2 M3Ps, an ‘18 with PS4S tires and a ‘22 with Pirelli PZero ELECT tires. The Michelins feel and perform slightly better, IMO, but the Pirellis might be very slightly quieter, and are still an excellent overall choice.

Why are you commenting about the all-season Michelin? It’s true they’re loud, but they aren’t a tire the OP is considering.

The PS4 (Pilot Sport 4) by contrast is a VERY quiet tire, especially in the Tesla OEM fitment.

If you care about performance, the PS4 is worth the $$$. If you don’t, why buy the M3P in the first place?

To the OP: I’ve owned 2 M3Ps, an ‘18 with PS4S tires and a ‘22 with Pirelli PZero ELECT tires. The Michelins feel and perform slightly better, IMO, but the Pirellis might be very slightly quieter, and are still an excellent overall choice.

Just realized that. It was late. The naming scheme throws me off so when I saw the 4S my tired brain associated that with AS.

Anyway, the new Hankook iON EVO AS tires are great tires which was my main take away for anyone who's curious.

Reactions: Pommie
I've had the PS4S on multiple vehicles. Excellent high performance summer tires. Quiet, comfortable with great grip.

Even if it's completely dry, they don't work nearly as well at temps <45F. I always had a set of winter wheels/tires for the colder months. We also had a AWD truck for the dew times it snowed or was icy (PNW - Western Washington).

Expect 25-30K if you drive conservatively, but why have these tires if you're driving conservatively all of the time?

I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on order from Discount Tire for installation on Monday. It’s my first tire change since buying my 2019 M3 LR RWD which currently has 28,000 miles on it. Final OTD price after tax is $962. I asked them to match the Costco price but somehow they actually came out even lower so I was pretty happy with it.

It’s been a while since I researched tires. Is there anything else I should be looking at before I install them? It’s for Southern California and I don’t drive in snow or cold weather so I think a summer tire should be fine for me. I know I will take a bit of a range hit, and they might be a little noisier than the OEM tire. Anything else to consider?

I have a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on order from Discount Tire for installation on Monday. It’s my first tire change since buying my 2019 M3 LR RWD which currently has 28,000 miles on it. Final OTD price after tax is $962. I asked them to match the Costco price but somehow they actually came out even lower so I was pretty happy with it.

It’s been a while since I researched tires. Is there anything else I should be looking at before I install them? It’s for Southern California and I don’t drive in snow or cold weather so I think a summer tire should be fine for me. I know I will take a bit of a range hit, and they might be a little noisier than the OEM tire. Anything else to consider?
since you are in so cal, why not the hankook evo ion non AS? perfect for no snow

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I don’t know much about them. Discount Tire only shows the AS version. Are they better than the PS4S?
for pure driving performance no---the PS4S is pretty extroardinary---but it would be substantially more efficient and probably quieter.

And realistically it seems that people are unlikely to even come close to performance bounds of modern tires in the dry unless they're in off-road motorsports.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd