Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow 6.86" Mini dash display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I showed TMA my screen version and he told me that it's not the same unit and that if I loaded their software, it could brick the display so it's not coming from me but TMA's customer support.

Can you upload the files to google drive and share if that's the case?
You said in your previous post yesterday that Hansshow sent you some F68 firmware files from Hansshow. So use those. Not sure what your USB stick folderr structure was but it needs to be inside the "update" folder. Not sure why you are talking about TMA firmware files. I showed you a video in my previous post on how to format your USB stick and setup your file structure in the USB stick. I am not sure how difficult this process and is so simple. Ignore what I said about the files between the various manufacturers since your question was how to install the .img file and not about all these other questions you are asking.

I don't own the F68 display so I can't help you with the firmware files.

Last edited:
Hannshow sent me the files, I followed their instructions of formatting my USB to fat32 and unzipping the files inside, once I plug it into the unit, nothing happens... Do I live it as a RAR file? Kind of stumped here. The USB tested and works on 2 different PC's.
I thought about this a little more and I remember with my first display, I had some trouble with my first USB stick (16GB or 32GB...can't remember) not being recognized with the display when I plugged it in and I remember I realized it takes more than just formatting the stick to FAT32 system. You also have to make sure the Allocation unit size is set to 4096 bytes (4 Kb).

The default Allocation unit size on a 32 GB stick is 16 Kb which is too large for it because the display would not flash it. I even tried reformatting the 32 GB stick to 8192 bytes allocation unit size since that is the lowest it will go as seen in the screenshot below and it didn't work either. However for whatever reason these Hansshow chinese displays are sensitive to the Allocation unit size and can only read the 4096 byte (4 Kb) allocation unit size despite being formatted to FAT32 file system.

What I ended up doing was I found a 4 GB USB stick which I could format the stick to FAT32 and 4096 byte Allocation unit size and then transfer the files to the stick again and then finally the display can read it properly. Try to see if you can find a USB stick of 16 GB or lower which still supports the 4096 bytes Allocation unit size and try the process again. That should fix the problem. Hopefully this makes sense.

Even Hansshows instruction.txt file in blue text says to use at highest a 4 GB to 16 GB USB stick in step 1. I think what they forgot to mention specifically to also select the 4096 bytes Allocation unit size to make sure it works properly.
1. use the usb 4-16gb, and format it into fat32
2. unzip the file and copy the “update” folder
3. insert the usb to the screen ,upgrade will start
4. After the upgrade is completed, remove the USB disk
5. restart the car or restart the screen

4 GB stick 16 GB stick 32 GB stick
1717395407835.png
1717395422472.png
1717395432363.png

I messaged the TMA people and they said it is not the same firmware / same screen. They sent me a picture and the firmware and settings looks completely different. They said if I used their software, it would brick my screen, just an FYI.

Yes that may be true. When I originally bought it, it was from Hansshow. But when I upgraded the screen (to the touchscreen version) I got it from TMA, as Hansshow didn't offer the upgrade. So technically I guess I have the TMA screen now, but luckily the camera was the same.

By the way, with the very latest TMA update OTA update finally works. To use the OTA update you have to turn on your phone's hotspot and name it "car". And put the password as 12345678. Then the screen will connect to it and you can check for OTA updates. It found one and downloaded it although it didn't tell me what version or anything like that...just updated and rebooted. I was probably already at the latest update which I had just completed via USB.

They added a couple extra features on the screen when the car is in Park. There are two menus now - one for volume and one for going into CarPlay/Android Auto. I didn't notice any other changes other than you now have to press the right scroll wheel for 4-5 seconds now to activate the front camera. Previously it was more like 3 seconds. A bit long in my opinion. I wish they would just add a camera icon when you scroll through the options with the scroll wheel. I also wish you could have the camera come on automatically when you are at low speed (before parking). Sadly you can't - it only activates from the start of driving up until 20km/hr. Front camera guidelines would be nice too...sigh. They are calling it an "AI" camera now. All hype IMHO. I also wish for Theme updates and having the lines around the car curve when you go around curves/turns. Of course I've suggested all these updates and more multiple times for months now but they haven't implemented any of them. Just stuff I didn't ask for like the new menu options in park.

Last edited:
Yes that may be true. When I originally bought it, it was from Hansshow. But when I upgraded the screen (to the touchscreen version) I got it from TMA, as Hansshow didn't offer the upgrade. So technically I guess I have the TMA screen now, but luckily the camera was the same.

By the way, with the very latest TMA update OTA update finally works. To use the OTA update you have to turn on your phone's hotspot and name it "car". And put the password as 12345678. Then the screen will connect to it and you can check for OTA updates. It found one and downloaded it although it didn't tell me what version or anything like that...just updated and rebooted. I was probably already at the latest update which I had just completed via USB.

They added a couple extra features on the screen when the car is in Park. There are two menus now - one for volume and one for going into CarPlay/Android Auto. I didn't notice any other changes other than you now have to press the right scroll wheel for 4-5 seconds now to activate the front camera. Previously it was more like 3 seconds. A bit long in my opinion. I wish they would just add a camera icon when you scroll through the options with the scroll wheel. I also wish you could have the camera come on automatically when you are at low speed (before parking). Sadly you can't - it only activates from the start of driving up until 20km/hr. Front camera guidelines would be nice too...sigh. They are calling it an "AI" camera now. All hype IMHO. I also wish for Theme updates and having the lines around the car curve when you go around curves/turns. Of course I've suggested all these updates and more multiple times for months now but they haven't implemented any of them. Just stuff I didn't ask for like the new menu options in park.
I also recently updated via OTA and saw the same changes you saw. One big benefit I saw is improvement on blue tooth connection to the phone. Before the OTA update, I constantly had my phone connected to car screen while at home parked in garage and sometimes, the sound would transfer to the screen in the middle of phone conversation. It was so annoying that I was thinking about not using car play anymore. It no longer happens with OTA update. I think they fixed it. Finger crossed they keep making updates to fix other issues.

I agree with you 100% about adding a camera icon to the scroll-menu. Really annoying to have to hold the button for 4-5 seconds to turn on the camera. I also wish camera is tied to parking sensors being on in the car. that would solve the issue you mentioned about camera not being on when about to park after finish driving.

Reactions: DarrenHD and flai54
I also recently updated via OTA and saw the same changes you saw. One big benefit I saw is improvement on blue tooth connection to the phone. Before the OTA update, I constantly had my phone connected to car screen while at home parked in garage and sometimes, the sound would transfer to the screen in the middle of phone conversation. It was so annoying that I was thinking about not using car play anymore. It no longer happens with OTA update. I think they fixed it. Finger crossed they keep making updates to fix other issues.

I agree with you 100% about adding a camera icon to the scroll-menu. Really annoying to have to hold the button for 4-5 seconds to turn on the camera. I also wish camera is tied to parking sensors being on in the car. that would solve the issue you mentioned about camera not being on when about to park after finish driving.

Yes I had the same problem with my phone connected to the car screen while inside my house. I'll see if it's improved now.

I just updated to Software 2024.20.1 on my Model Y and the Range and battery percentage on the screen are stuck. It says my range is 1822km and my battery percentage is 68%. But it's not. My battery is at 47%. Did you notice this as well? I've rebooted my screen several times but it is still stuck with wrong range and battery %. Everything else seems OK.

Yes I had the same problem with my phone connected to the car screen while inside my house. I'll see if it's improved now.

I just updated to Software 2024.20.1 on my Model Y and the Range and battery percentage on the screen are stuck. It says my range is 1822km and my battery percentage is 68%. But it's not. My battery is at 47%. Did you notice this as well? I've rebooted my screen several times but it is still stuck with wrong range and battery %. Everything else seems OK.
If the auto connect phone issue doesn't improve for you, here are some things that I did that may or may not help you.
- on the new menu on the park screen, under volume + and -, there is blue tooth icon with 'A' on it, I chose that it is NOT ON (NOT blue). I think that is to do auto connect blue tooth which I don't want. Even with that off, when i get into the car, carplay is still autoconnected without me doing anything which is great, but I think(I am guessing), that solved my problem of when I am out of the car, the phone won't auto connect to device blue tooth.

- before version update, I "forget" the bluetooth/carplay connections on the phone and redo a new connection after update after choosing NOT Blue on auto connect.

I haven't noticed the battery percentage stuck on screen yet. If rebooting doesn't work for you, I would suggest redoing the whole OTA update things all over. start with USB version install and do OTA update again. (I know that the screen can take older versions back because while dealing with phone auto connecting at home, i went back to older versions one after another to see whether it gets better). I had the issue a while ago where the device screen got all messed up (going vertical instead of horizontal, i rebooted a few times, but it didn't fix it, but i reinstalled the software again and that fixed it).

Hope it works out for you.

If the auto connect phone issue doesn't improve for you, here are some things that I did that may or may not help you.
- on the new menu on the park screen, under volume + and -, there is blue tooth icon with 'A' on it, I chose that it is NOT ON (NOT blue). I think that is to do auto connect blue tooth which I don't want. Even with that off, when i get into the car, carplay is still autoconnected without me doing anything which is great, but I think(I am guessing), that solved my problem of when I am out of the car, the phone won't auto connect to device blue tooth.

- before version update, I "forget" the bluetooth/carplay connections on the phone and redo a new connection after update after choosing NOT Blue on auto connect.

I haven't noticed the battery percentage stuck on screen yet. If rebooting doesn't work for you, I would suggest redoing the whole OTA update things all over. start with USB version install and do OTA update again. (I know that the screen can take older versions back because while dealing with phone auto connecting at home, i went back to older versions one after another to see whether it gets better). I had the issue a while ago where the device screen got all messed up (going vertical instead of horizontal, i rebooted a few times, but it didn't fix it, but i reinstalled the software again and that fixed it).

Hope it works out for you.

thanks. I'll try that. I'm in touch with the TMA engineer and he said they have to wait for Tesla to release the 20.1 update to fix the stuck battery percentage issue. But reinstalling from USB is a good idea. I will give that a try.

Thanks for the details on the power and range issue. This is happening across the Hansshow displays as well as maybe other brands since they are probably all using the same anticipated signals to retrieve the info from the CAN bus of what they understand. I was talking to Hansshow about some other issue and they happen to mention this issue to me and are already working on a software fix for the F9 display and will provide the file when it is available. Since the F68 and F9 displays are pretty similar, I gotta assume that they are working on the same fix for the F68 display but it wouldn't hurt to mention it to Hansshow Whatsapp team.

I would think all that is needed is a CAN file update to fix this issue to tell the display where the updated signals are located but I wouldn't be surprised if the same CAN file can be used across the F9 and F68 products.

Thanks for the details on the power and range issue. This is happening across the Hansshow displays as well as maybe other brands since they are probably all using the same anticipated signals to retrieve the info from the CAN bus of what they understand. I was talking to Hansshow about some other issue and they happen to mention this issue to me and are already working on a software fix for the F9 display and will provide the file when it is available. Since the F68 and F9 displays are pretty similar, I gotta assume that they are working on the same fix for the F68 display but it wouldn't hurt to mention it to Hansshow Whatsapp team.

I would think all that is needed is a CAN file update to fix this issue to tell the display where the updated signals are located but I wouldn't be surprised if the same CAN file can be used across the F9 and F68 products.

Good to know. I did try to re-install the latest update I received using USB but it did not resolve the issue...so hopefully they will be able to release an update soon.

Darren

I agree the hold duration on the right scroll button is ridiculous and should be reduced to like 1-1.5 seconds to activate the front camera.

Reactions: DarrenHD
Boy there's confusion in this thread since there seems two be two different version of the Hansshow F68 & some are discussing a 6.8" display from TMA.

Anyway I'm asking about the Hansshow F68. I have a 2018 M3. I purchased this back in Nov 23. But, due to the difficulty of reaching the connector and an upcoming road trip, I just installed this yesterday. My M3 is on v12, 2024.14.9, FSD 12.3.6 (HW3). Intel.

The only thing that doesn't seem to be working is the Red flashing w/ turn signal when there is a car in the blind spot. Should I expect this with both UI's?

F68 Versions:
APP : APP-V1.0.231010.H.00.0.0
CAN : Tsl_V218.3.C3.00
BT Audio: Tesla_BT_9ED5, V1.8.6,20230819,0,0,0,0
Link : V2.14.00

A UI screen shot (to avoid confusion with the different F68's:

UI Shots.jpg

Upgrade file and instruction : Link

Code:
Note: Please upgrade the software to solve the problem of the incorrect battery and mileage display after the 4.6 5.16 f68 f62p Tesla upgrade.

This file can only upgrade the 4.6 mini ,5.16 mini ,f68 and f62p ,don‘t use to upgrade other screen
Thanks... I thought at first, you were referring to the TMA display, but I believe this is Hansshow.

Hansshow has the link posted:

Thanks, now just trying to figure out what this is trying to say:

"Note: If you are in these conditions, please select can2: Receive the screen after 2024, June 19; the original Tesla screen has not been upgraded; and is not version 20.1 or 14.9. If your Tesla version has been upgraded to 20.1 or 14.9, enter the settings and select can3."

I purchased my F68 11/04/2023. I actually haven't seen the Batt/Mileage problem, but I'm also not seeing turn signal blind-spot warnings. My 2018 M3 w/ FSD is on 2024.14.9.

My F68 is currently:

Thanks... I thought at first, you were referring to the TMA display, but I believe this is Hansshow.

Hansshow has the link posted:

Thanks, now just trying to figure out what this is trying to say:

"Note: If you are in these conditions, please select can2: Receive the screen after 2024, June 19; the original Tesla screen has not been upgraded; and is not version 20.1 or 14.9. If your Tesla version has been upgraded to 20.1 or 14.9, enter the settings and select can3."

I purchased my F68 11/04/2023. I actually haven't seen the Batt/Mileage problem, but I'm also not seeing turn signal blind-spot warnings. My 2018 M3 w/ FSD is on 2024.14.9.

My F68 is currently:

Yeah TMA does not have an update out yet. I would not recommend flashing the Hansshow update onto a TMA screen. It's possible it could work but I would not risk it. Just wait for TMA to release an update (for those TMA owners). At least with the current firmware OTA update works.

Does anyone with a Hannshow screen know if they got OTA working?

Reactions: DavidL312
I haven't applied the update yet.
1) Can someone confirm that the Hansshow F68 does support flashing red if changing lanes with a car in the blind spot?
2) I also think I saw that there are no auto-pilot nags when sharing the screen with Android Auto
3) Is there any additional information on the CAN settings?

Thanks.