Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow F9 9 inch display with camera and air vents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
double check the provided USB stick is formatted as FAT32, and place the "update" folder in the root directory. Mine auto updates once plugged in.

Also whatsapp this person for support. They're more responsive there than email, but it's still long in between responses. View attachment 1012592
Thanks for the contact number. Will give that a try. The USB stick provided by Hansshow is already FAT32. And the bin file is located in the "update" dir. What was weird to me is that the USB stick wiggles so much once inserted. There's close to 20-30 deg of play. It's almost as if that the female USB socket was not soldered properly. But the light on the stick turns on, so it appears to be getting power ... I tried to using the reset switch as well, but no go.

i discovered that's just a restart switch, it doesn't seem to reset anything. The whatsapp person did mention once that you have to push in the usb stick hard. Their instructions -

1706377834922.png

maximus96, sir you are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

My mistake was trying to baby the F9 by gently sliding in the USB. Once I pressed down firmly resulting in a satisfying "click" the update started right away. And as Kibana Dai pointed out, the progress was stuck at 81%. I gave it until 90s and then pulled the USB. Then I reset the F9 per maximus' latest post. Joy !!! I now have Android Auto working.

I haven't had a chance to test exhaustively. Will report back if I see anything worth reporting.

May I ask what bt connectivity had you? were u unable to connect display audio to tesla bt? I'm owning an 8.8 touch display and it no more connect to bt tsla audio since a few month hansshow claiming it s related to tesla no more allowing third party devices except phones to connect ?
I don’t know what they mean by this. The only way my F68 worked WAS to connect it to Tesla BT audio which worked. But I wanted the built in speaker which they eliminated.

Now that I've had my F9 in my Model 3 for over two weeks, I can highlight some more of my experiences. Overall I like the display, it offers a few different views (particularly if you're not a fan of the big HP gauge). It seems really well built, matches the car in terms of silvery finish (e.g. the back of the main screen and F9 are the same color), sits straight and snug, and is very easily visible especially since I have a yoke. I should clarify that I have the Linux version (Hansshow also shows the F9 available with Android as the OS).
I appreciate your experience with the F9. I don't have the need for the Carplay and Android Auto as I see many others have had, but I do have a problem with the interaction between the Tesla center screen and the F9 screen. Specifically, the steering wheel right hand thumbwheel appears to control both the left side of the F9 screen as well as the maximum speed of the cruise control on the Tesla screen, unfortunately at the same time. To explain further, when you are cruising along with the cruise control engaged and adjust the maximum speed with the right thumbwheel, the F9 also cycles the left third of the screen through the different options, such as tire pressure, theme, settings, etc. I requested some help from the Hansshow technical department, and their response was "This is normal. The right wheel controls the F9 and the car screen at the same time. There is currently no upgrade." Obviously, that was not very helpful. They could not appreciate the problem. Perhaps there is an easy fix, but I am not aware of it. It seems as most of the secret, unpublished downloads deal mainly with Apple Carplay and Android Auto problems.

I appreciate your experience with the F9. I don't have the need for the Carplay and Android Auto as I see many others have had, but I do have a problem with the interaction between the Tesla center screen and the F9 screen. Specifically, the steering wheel right hand thumbwheel appears to control both the left side of the F9 screen as well as the maximum speed of the cruise control on the Tesla screen, unfortunately at the same time. To explain further, when you are cruising along with the cruise control engaged and adjust the maximum speed with the right thumbwheel, the F9 also cycles the left third of the screen through the different options, such as tire pressure, theme, settings, etc. I requested some help from the Hansshow technical department, and their response was "This is normal. The right wheel controls the F9 and the car screen at the same time. There is currently no upgrade." Obviously, that was not very helpful. They could not appreciate the problem. Perhaps there is an easy fix, but I am not aware of it. It seems as most of the secret, unpublished downloads deal mainly with Apple Carplay and Android Auto problems.
Honestly I don't know if it's practical or possible for Hansshow to make any changes. The F9, or really any third-party heads-up display, essentially "listens" for "events" to perform a UI action. Pressing the right scroll wheel, or clicking it to the left, for example, would be examples of "events". Tesla has already assigned specific functions to various scroll wheel events, like volume up/down, increase/decrease following distance, etc.

Hansshow is basically piggybacking off of some of these events to perform their various UI actions. Thankfully most of them are accessible simply by touching the screen, including going into and out of CarPlay/Android Auto. If you want to bring up the blind spot camera, there's no way around that other than holding the right scroll button down. Bringing up the settings page (if not in park) requires clicking/holding the right scroll to the left until the settings UI launches. When parked, you can just tap the screen and then the gear icon.

A couple of quick updates:
- I accidently stumbled into the UI theme selector panel and was able to get rid of the "HP" dial. I now have the screen with the speed dial in the middle, tire pressure on the left and the other car status on the right. This is exactly what I wanted from the time when I was still shopping. Hurrah !!!

HOWEVER, I do NOT know what I did. I tried to recreate my steps so I could report back. But I was unable to. I think it had something to do with the right scroll wheel.

- From the beginning, I could not get audio to play from Android Auto. Thinking that I had to get the F9 to connect to the car via BT, I researched how to get Tesla to connect simultaneously to two BT devices. Then it suddenly struck me, I was thinking about it all wrong. The car only had to connect to the phone. Since this is where the media files are being played from. The F9 is just an output device. It is NOT passing through the audio signal.

So I started Android Auto on the F9 (which causes it to connect to my phone as normal), and THEN on the Tesla, I selected my phone as the BT source. (My phone was already "paired" with the car). Badda bing. Audio output from the F9 is now playing on the car sound system. Another Hurrah!!!

- From YouTube, I learned how to enable non-sanctioned functions such as video streaming under Android Auto. (For liability reasons, y'all have to go do your own research ;-). Now, I have karaoke capabilities on the F9. Man, road trips are going to be so much more fun. Third Hurrah!!!

> The next thing is to figure out how to activate/open up Android Auto while driving. Up until now, I can only select and enable Android Auto when parked. If any kind soul has the secret handshake, pray tell.

I installed the F9 last night in my 2021 Model Y Performance. I have the Intel system It took me forever as I could not get the plug out of the computer. I ended taking the whole glove box out to access it. So I finally get it all together and I get nothing on the screen. Doesn't seem to power up. When I first set it up I had the Intel plug in and I thought i had to have the Blue plug in also, but I guess that is just for AMD? With the just the Intel plug in the computer I get nothing on the F9 I tried plugging in everything and still nothing. The plug seems to be in all the way. I would think if it wasn't then I wouldn't get anything on main display. I contacted Hansshow through WhatsApp display support, but Not sure when I will hear back. My car is still all torn apart. Is there anything else I can try?

Mine is also intel, and a pain to get the stupid plug on and off. Did you double check these plugs are correct?

View attachment 1014751
Yeah. mine were red black and yellow though, one of those looks pink. I just went back out and unplugged and re-plugged the main cord into the computer, and checked those connection again. I tried inserting USB that I added firmware from this forum and nothing. Tried reset with the hole behind USB-C , still nothing. Nothing ever happens on the screen.

I got it fixed. I contacted Hansshow through WhatsApp. They ended having me open up the screen to see if the motherboard was disconnect or if something was fried. I opened it up sure enough the motherboard was unplugged. Plugged in put it back together and good to go. Glad I didn’t have to send it back.

I installed the F9 last night in my 2021 Model Y Performance. I have the Intel system It took me forever as I could not get the plug out of the computer. I ended taking the whole glove box out to access it. So I finally get it all together and I get nothing on the screen. Doesn't seem to power up. When I first set it up I had the Intel plug in and I thought i had to have the Blue plug in also, but I guess that is just for AMD? With the just the Intel plug in the computer I get nothing on the F9 I tried plugging in everything and still nothing. The plug seems to be in all the way. I would think if it wasn't then I wouldn't get anything on main display. I contacted Hansshow through WhatsApp display support, but Not sure when I will hear back. My car is still all torn apart. Is there anything else I can try?
The blue plug is just for AMD cars. Doesn't the instruction manual clearly explain that? I would assume each port has a sticker label at least what they do with other Hansshow products.

Still a work in progress....but it was difficult to even get to the return point. I'll follow up soon.
I finally got a full refund of my purchase price. Only expense was about $17 to ship it back. Hansshow delayed the refund every step of the way by using their maximum "respond by" times. The refund was received over a month after they received the return and over 2 months in total. The return process itself only began after I had to dispute the payment to get them to respond to my inquiries.

I finally got a full refund of my purchase price. Only expense was about $17 to ship it back. Hansshow delayed the refund every step of the way by using their maximum "respond by" times. The refund was received over a month after they received the return and over 2 months in total. The return process itself only began after I had to dispute the payment to get them to respond to my inquiries.
Thanks for this follow up. Good to know.

Hey guys so I also ordered the F9 Plus Display and got it installed. I've been playing around with it and so far I do like it overall. Definitely improves upon some big issues compared to my old 9" Linux based display without the vents. Most notably the issue with bluetooth music/phone calls not always routing to the Tesla bluetooth compared to the built in speaker.

But I do have a few questions/concerns that I'm hoping you guys can answer for me.

1. I've attached a picture of my version after I think I did a successful OTA update. Is this the newest version people have seen so far or is there a newer version that is just not available on OTA?
2. Is there a way to have the front camera activate automatically with say low speed or when it detects the parking sensors would be better. As far as I know so far it seems like it first comes on when you go into D (which is kind of stupid and wish I could disable this) or manually with the right steering wheel button. I thought I saw some other devices would activate the front camera automatically when it detects the parking sensor which I think would be the best option.
3. Is there a way to change the boot video/image?
4. I usually use CarPlay but if I switch to the dashboard mode is there an easy way to get back into CarPlay? So far it seems like I have to scroll through the menu to get to CarPlay and select it. On my old 9" Linux display the right scroll wheel up/down would switch between the CarPlay/dashboard modes quickly. I also found out by accident that if you are not in carplay and you use "Hey Siri" it actually does bring back Carplay on the F9 Display.
5. Does anyone know for sure the process to get to the version number of the F9 Plus? I saw some people mention the left vs right button on the steering wheel. And I'm not sure if you have to be connect to WiFi for this to also show up. I kind of got to the version screen by accident and I think I had to be connected to Wifi where the download button was lit up. But I couldn't replicate getting to this screen.
6. There are times I get into my car in the morning and I'll wait for carplay to connect automatically. Occasionally I have to tap the screen and manually select Carplay. I can see it has already connected but the screen was not on carplay. Anyone run into this issue?

Thanks everyone who contributed to this tread so far. Its helped me alot when I was reading through it prior to purchasing the display!

Attachments

• IMG_2841.jpg
    IMG_2841.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 39
So after a couple weeks of driving with the F9 and 1056 MCU, my main issue is some sort of timeout where after about 20 minutes, the F9 won’t automatically reconnect to CarPlay anymore. The fix for me is to restart the device by press-and-hold left click on the left wheeel. It reboots and carplay connects. Restarting with the pinhole does not reconnect CarPlay. If i leave the car and come back within this 20 minutes or so timeout window, carplay reconnects just fine. At least now I know the workaround. It seems others don‘t have this issue. Maybe it is because of my old May 2020 build. Mine doesn’t have the other issues like the erroneous high beam icon but the blue hill hold icon is annoying and looks like high beam icon in my peripheral vision. I also feel it takes too long to activate the front camera.
Hello.

Im having the same problem with Android Auto with the model 3 highland. After a long period, android auto wont connect. I have to turn off the bluetooth connection and reconnect and then it connects fine.

Have you found out a solution ?

How do you manage the sound ? On the screen, if the parametet is set to power amplify, then music and calls from the phone is played via the screen which is not so great and when its set to orginal bt, it worked but then you need to select the source from Tesla only on BT. Which again is not great.

Thanks.