Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow Frunk 2021+/refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all!

I ordered and finally had the chance to install the Hansshow power frunk kit for the model x refresh and I’m having an issue. I’ll do my best to describe but it doesn’t look like an issue posted anywhere else in the forums.

Basically when the frunk is latched, and the button (app/interior/release) is pressed to release it, it won’t raise on its own. To raise it with power, you have to manually raise the trunk slightly, latch the spring with your finger and then press the button again, and At that point it’ll raise with power. Once it’s at the top, it’ll close and latch down with the button just fine, but then once it’s closed if you try to open it, it’ll basically only open the manual way.

As an alternate, if it has opened this way if you try to manually close it, it’ll trigger the automatic open, go to the top, but then won’t auto close. You can manually close it at that point and the cycles repeat.

We checked all connectors/connections and all seems to be fine as evidenced by the fact everything works the way it should at various different stages, just not without extra steps.

Another added note is that we tried everything with the wires disconnected from the Hansshow latch bracket and with that disconnected, everything works exactly the same as I’ve described above.

I’m stumped. For now my work around will be to tape up a screwdriver to push the latch down instead of my finger because with all the trim pieces back on it can scrape my finger a little bit, but this whole thing is less than ideal.

Anyone have any ideas beyond the computer/software being programmed wrong?

I am pretty sure your latch set up (existing + new hansshow actuator) are not mechanically set up correctly.

The Hansshow actuator has adjustable cable length. Needs to not have any slack (i.e., it's ready to release immediately. )

If you contact Hansshow via whatsapp, they will help you (even do a video call to watch latch in action.) But you need to contact them at ~9Am Shanghai time...

I am pretty sure your latch set up (existing + new hansshow actuator) are not mechanically set up correctly.

The Hansshow actuator has adjustable cable length. Needs to not have any slack (i.e., it's ready to release immediately. )

If you contact Hansshow via whatsapp, they will help you (even do a video call to watch latch in action.) But you need to contact them at ~9Am Shanghai time...
Thanks! I reached out to them but haven’t heard back and assumed they weren’t open right now. I’ve also seen people have historically been hit or miss in getting a response.

I have two little kids so it’s hard to get the time to pull it all apart, although it’s quicker now that I’ve done the install in full.

As to your suggestion, the instructions (lol@the instructions) didn’t say this and I didn’t see it in any install videos but I will check this while I still have time this weekend.

THANKS!

Just as an added thought before I pull it apart again,(to make it make sense in my brain) why would that make a difference if I can trigger the up process by manually depressing the latch spring??

Because I can't see it, it's hard to visualize what you are saying is happening. However, I got the point that you're having trouble at the open hood part of the cycle.

Synchronizing/adjusting those latches during the open and close cycles is the most time consuming part... be patient and try to understand how they work/interact with each other...

I reread your post... I would say the Hansshow actuator is not pulling open soon enough. Maybe the cable is too tight? Or it is out of adjustment (does yours have a microswitch associated with it? Can't remember...)

Because I can't see it, it's hard to visualize what you are saying is happening. However, I got the point that you're having trouble at the open hood part of the cycle.

Synchronizing/adjusting those latches during the open and close cycles is the most time consuming part... be patient and try to understand how they work/interact with each other...

I reread your post... I would say the Hansshow actuator is not pulling open soon enough. Maybe the cable is too tight? Or it is out of adjustment (does yours have a microswitch associated with it? Can't remember...)
I don’t use forums enough. What’s the best way to post a video?

Where would I see a microswitch?

I guess where I keep getting hung up is that it will perform all the things it’s supposed to perform including going up automatically, going down automatically, and latching. Everything seems aligned fine. It just won’t go from latched to automatically going up. It will unlatch with the button, needs to be manually raised, the latch/spring manually depressed as if it’s closed with the frunk raised, and only THEN will the button trigger a release of the latch followed by a powered raising of the hood. Once that’s done, a powered down/latch cycle can be triggered with the button.

I had the same issue but with EVOffer version auto frunk on 2022 Model X.

It was fixed by moving the latch mechanism enough so that hook (Red 1) is not catching on the plunger/striker (hood).

Also, make sure that the cable (Blue 3) is long enough adjust at (Yellow 2) to make sure the hook is also clear from the striker when unlatched.

Attachments

• 20230408_153031.jpg
    20230408_153031.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 20230408_151848.jpg
    20230408_151848.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 115
  • 20230408_151530.jpg
    20230408_151530.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 123
Reactions: TeamSolar

It was fixed by moving the latch mechanism enough so that hook (Red 1) is not catching on the plunger/striker (hood).

Also, make sure that the cable (Blue 3) is long enough adjust at (Yellow 2) to make sure the hook is also clear from the striker when unlatched.
Ok so I understand why the last paragraph could matter. If there’s interference with these it might not know it’s clear to raise the hood, right?

The middle paragraph, I’m struggling to understand a little. Is this a left/right adjustment? Or an up/down adjustment? Why would this matter(Not doubting you just trying to figure out why the heck this is happening)? If the hook is free to raise manually and the spring/latch are in the open position then why would this be a problem and how would this system even know?

also, I forgot to say thank you.

Also, I noticed that these "catching" issue happens/related when at the slowest opening speed both on Model X and 3.

I had since adjusted opening speed to 5 beeps - no catching issue on both models since.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230408_160532_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230408_160532_Samsung Internet.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 112
Also, I noticed that these "catching" issue happens/related when at the slowest opening speed both on Model X and 3.

I had since adjusted opening speed to 5 beeps - no catching issue on both models since.
Yeah we thought this and tried changing the speeds. Weirdly it goes fast up, starts fast down, then goes incredibly slow in the middle of the down cycle the rest of the way to latching .

Ok so I understand why the last paragraph could matter. If there’s interference with these it might not know it’s clear to raise the hood, right?

The middle paragraph, I’m struggling to understand a little. Is this a left/right adjustment? Or an up/down adjustment? Why would this matter(Not doubting you just trying to figure out why the heck this is happening)? If the hook is free to raise manually and the spring/latch are in the open position then why would this be a problem and how would this system even know?
I move the whole mechanism as far towards the right (front passenger side) - see arrow to right direction in picture.

I think the hook is preventing the striker to go up freely BUT enough momentum to be free the second time it's released hence increasing the opening speed gives it enough momentum to go up.

Reactions: TeamSolar
I have an older variant from 2020. There were troubles with locking down. The solution was the hook, it was not in the right position relative the locking mechanism. I had to move it about 5mm to the left. Afterwards everything was ok.
May be you should check it, just another idea!

Just to update everyone, moving the latch all the way to either side, angling it in pretty much every orientation, up, down, tightening the cable, over tightening the cable, loosening the over tightened cable, not a single one or combination of has done anything. Same goes for adjusting the speed, although at speed 5/6 it still sometimes goes fast and sometimes slows to a crawl half way. Same exact cycle every time.
@RoBoRaT and @John in LB thanks for your help. If you have any other suggestions, I’m open.

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Not sure then if anymore physical adjustment to the hardware can fix the "crawl" speed when opening/closing.

For the hood catching when opening, one option is to see if the striker can be adjusted. Be careful not to wear out the thread when mounting/dismounting the bolt.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230409_112928_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230409_112928_Gallery.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_20230409_112825_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230409_112825_Gallery.jpg
    550.9 KB · Views: 84
Not sure then if anymore physical adjustment to the hardware can fix the "crawl" speed when opening/closing.

For the hood catching when opening, one option is to see if the striker can be adjusted. Be careful not to wear out the thread when mounting/dismounting the bolt.
Man, not gonna lie, I’m not sure that I should need to be adjusting this for the kit to work that is apparently mostly plug/play for everyone else.

Reactions: Genie