Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow Mini dash display 5.16"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received this message from the seller, not sure if they are further updates, or just the changes to the UIs that we already know about:

“Hello, in order to have a better human-computer interaction experience between the driver and the product, we have upgraded the system. At present, all the products issued have been upgraded, with a new UI interface and system style”

I've had the 5.16" mini screen for about a week now - here's my review and comparison with the 4".

The latest 5.16" mini screen is probably their best mini screen yet, but there's still an issue for pre-2021 cars...

There are two different UI's - I'll let the pics do most of the talking:
This is UI2 and looks the best, IMO.

20230311_140006_resized.jpg

I took this one (UI 1) from the Hansshow site as it shows all of the different alerts, etc:
screencapture- - Copy.png

It is better than the 4" mini screen in a couple of significant ways:
-Install is MUCH easier if you have a 2021 or later as it connects to the CAN bus and a power plug on the right side, near the CPU, but much easier to access.
-The UI's are better, UI 2 especially.
-Slightly larger and easier to read - same width, but about 1/2" taller.
-If you have a 2021 or later, the screen will show when autopilot is engaged (blue steering wheel) and will also show the put-your-hands-on-the-wheel blue screen warning, which is nice. However, this is where the issue currently is with pre-2021 3's and Y's. It isn't currently working on my 2018 model 3. They sent me updated SW, but it only worked once, which is strange. The blue wheel lit up, but the warning screen didn't show. I tried some other CAN options (1 or 2 in the mini screen menu) with different UI options and it stopped working for any of them. I do have FSD beta, which ~may~ be an issue - it doesn't seem likely to me, but I don't really know.
-It should be visible with polarized sun glasses. I haven't tested myself, but they said it would.
-I'm also reusing my old 4" mini cabling plug and it seems to be working fine. (This shouldn't be causing the autopilot issue.)

Night mode pics:
Snap night.jpg

Snap night2.jpg

Plaid mode! haha, it's purely visual
SnapShot(7.jpg

Plaid mode is available for the 4" mini also, but I had to download and do an update myself - maybe it comes with the new 4" minis...

If you would like to see more:

I've had the 5.16" mini screen for about a week now - here's my review and comparison with the 4".

The latest 5.16" mini screen is probably their best mini screen yet, but there's still an issue for pre-2021 cars...

View attachment 917639

I took this one (UI 1) from the Hansshow site as it shows all of the different alerts, etc:
View attachment 917640

-Install is MUCH easier if you have a 2021 or later as it connects to the CAN bus and a power plug on the right side, near the CPU, but much easier to access.
-If you have a 2021 or later, the screen will show when autopilot is engaged (blue steering wheel) and will also show the put-your-hands-on-the-wheel blue screen warning, which is nice. However, this is where the issue currently is with pre-2021 3's and Y's. It isn't currently working on my 2018 model 3. They sent me updated SW, but it only worked once, which is strange. The blue wheel lit up, but the warning screen didn't show. I tried some other CAN options (1 or 2 in the mini screen menu) with different UI options and it stopped working for any of them. I do have FSD beta, which ~may~ be an issue - it doesn't seem likely to me, but I don't really know.
-It should be visible with polarized sun glasses. I haven't tested myself, but they said it would.
-I'm also reusing my old 4" mini cabling plug and it seems to be working fine. (This shouldn't be causing the autopilot issue.)

Night mode pics:
View attachment 917641
View attachment 917642

View attachment 917643

Plaid mode is available for the 4" mini also, but I had to download and do an update myself - maybe it comes with the new 4" minis...

My 2023 is on the way. I have the 5.16 sitting in the closet to install. How difficult is the install and how long did it take you?

I wonder if someone around Atlanta could install it for me....

View attachment 917639

View attachment 917640

Night mode pics:
View attachment 917641
View attachment 917642

View attachment 917643

Hi Mark, that’s a great video review!

Something I don’t understand though, you say your car is pre-2021 and it has a Ryzen processor, but the Ryzen processor wasn’t released until early 2022?

Yeah, it's annoying, but it's better than a touch screen considering how infrequently you need to adjust the screen's settings. They could have easily put three buttons on the device however that would have accomplished the same thing and not stepped on the toes of the car controls