Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow premium audio upgrade for 2023 M3SR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a '23 RWD so I ordered the DIY(New Version) 22+ (AMD Ryzen) LHD version of the Hanshow Premium Audio Upgrade.

Some notes for others who may find they don't like the sound of this.
The person who designed this either doesn't know anything about audio, or it was simply assembled incorrectly.

I tore my harness apart to see how what signals they were tapping into and how they had it wired. I intend to do more audio upgrades, so knowing what signals are available on this harness (so I don't have to cut any tesla wiring) will be important in the future.

They are tapping into the dash left and right speakers at the computer, and are putting all of the speakers (dash left, tweeter left, upper A pillar left, plus a 47ohm resistor) all in parallel on the single channel of the amplifier, (All the rights in parallel on the right channel) this is likely going to overload the amplifier channels and cause distortion at high volume levels that wasn't there before. Also with the upper A pillar speaker in parallel (receiving the same amount of power as the rest) it might be too loud and detract from the sound. I've read this is a 2w speaker and likely not meant to play at the same volume as the rest of the front speakers.

Perhaps they intended to put the 47 ohm resistor in series with the upper A pillar speaker to reduce it's volume relative to the rest and lessen the load on the amplifier. (This is the part I was referring to when I said it may have been assembled incorrectly). The 47ohm resistor is otherwise useless, as you don't need to add more load to the amplifier for no reason. (This is sometimes done in this resistance range when creating a line out converter that reduces speaker level to signal level for aftermarket amplifiers, but that isn't what's going on here so someone likely messed up).

For reference, the 4.7uF capacitors feeding the door tweeters make a 6db/oct crossover at approximately 8500Hz. This is what I would expect and it uses a reasonable quality capacitor, so I would say this part that was done well enough.

To be fair I haven't installed mine yet, but I probably won't do it as is. I plan to install a subwoofer and possibly power the door woofers from an amp while I'm at it, so I will want the door woofer signals and bring them to the back, then return the amplified signals, while using them to get the signal for the subwoofer as well.

If you are planning to install aftermarket amplifiers and don't want to cut any factory wires this could be a good kit to buy as most of the speakers are made available on the 3 connectors this taps into.

IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

I'm not sure if I can attach a PDF here, but I have the Tesla schematics. You might still be able to sign up at service.tesla.com the whole right to repair thing made them open up a bunch of info.

Last edited:
So there are resistors as well as caps in those bulges in the adapter? That's interesting. The older kits with the box only had caps in there. I'm pretty sure it worked the same way.

Also, I'd really appreciate the schematics if you are willing to share. Thanks!

So there are resistors as well as caps in those bulges in the adapter? That's interesting. The older kits with the box only had caps in there. I'm pretty sure it worked the same way.

Also, I'd really appreciate the schematics if you are willing to share. Thanks!
The resistors seem to be incorrectly implemented, they are paired with one of the capacitors, and the other bulge is just a single capacitor. Hopefully, the schematic is useful.

I have a '23 RWD so I ordered the DIY(New Version) 22+ (AMD Ryzen) LHD version of the Hanshow Premium Audio Upgrade.

Some notes for others who may find they don't like the sound of this.
The person who designed this either doesn't know anything about audio, or it was simply assembled incorrectly.

I tore my harness apart to see how what signals they were tapping into and how they had it wired. I intend to do more audio upgrades, so knowing what signals are available on this harness (so I don't have to cut any tesla wiring) will be important in the future.

They are tapping into the dash left and right speakers at the computer, and are putting all of the speakers (dash left, tweeter left, upper A pillar left, plus a 47ohm resistor) all in parallel on the single channel of the amplifier, (All the rights in parallel on the right channel) this is likely going to overload the amplifier channels and cause distortion at high volume levels that wasn't there before. Also with the upper A pillar speaker in parallel (receiving the same amount of power as the rest) it might be too loud and detract from the sound. I've read this is a 2w speaker and likely not meant to play at the same volume as the rest of the front speakers.

Perhaps they intended to put the 47 ohm resistor in series with the upper A pillar speaker to reduce it's volume relative to the rest and lessen the load on the amplifier. (This is the part I was referring to when I said it may have been assembled incorrectly). The 47ohm resistor is otherwise useless, as you don't need to add more load to the amplifier for no reason. (This is sometimes done in this resistance range when creating a line out converter that reduces speaker level to signal level for aftermarket amplifiers, but that isn't what's going on here so someone likely messed up).

For reference, the 4.7uF capacitors feeding the door tweeters make a 6db/oct crossover at approximately 8500Hz. This is what I would expect and it uses a reasonable quality capacitor, so I would say this part that was done well enough.

To be fair I haven't installed mine yet, but I probably won't do it as is. I plan to install a subwoofer and possibly power the door woofers from an amp while I'm at it, so I will want the door woofer signals and bring them to the back, then return the amplified signals, while using them to get the signal for the subwoofer as well.

If you are planning to install aftermarket amplifiers and don't want to cut any factory wires this could be a good kit to buy as most of the speakers are made available on the 3 connectors this taps into.

View attachment 921954

View attachment 921955

View attachment 921956

I'm not sure if I can attach a PDF here, but I have the Tesla schematics. You might still be able to sign up at service.tesla.com the whole right to repair thing made them open up a bunch of info.
Hey is there a way you can show me all of the wiring diagrams for the 3 plugs they tapped?

I know exactly what you’re talking about. It might sound louder but there was too must distortion at high levels for me. I want to redo their whole wiring so it’s not just tapping into one channel.

Thanks in advance!

Hey is there a way you can show me all of the wiring diagrams for the 3 plugs they tapped?

I know exactly what you’re talking about. It might sound louder but there was too must distortion at high levels for me. I want to redo their whole wiring so it’s not just tapping into one channel.

Thanks in advance!
I hope the above posts make it clear.

The left dash channel powers the left dash speaker, left tweeter, Left A pillar speaker. This would be okay if you don't replace the dash speakers and disconnect the A pillar speaker. Or if you do replace the dash speakers with something full range like the Infinty Ref-4032, then disconnect the tweeter on the Infinity. The right dash channel powers the equivalent right side speakers as I described above. I'm going to try the A pillar speakers with the 47 ohm resistor in series (vs parallel as it is in the hanshow harness) to see if they provide ambiance and not direct sound. This configuration should provide a negligible increase in load on the amplifier channel, so it should play nice and loud without risk of damage.

I'll share the changes once I perform them. Along with how to grab/interrupt the L/R door woofer signals to add an external amp to power the door woofers, as well as a subwoofer.

Reactions: Rohhee and 3rror
I'm planning to upgrade the standard sound system in my '22 RWD as well and just came across this thread.

The 47ohm resistor is otherwise useless, as you don't need to add more load to the amplifier for no reason.
Thanks for the insight on the Hansshow harness. Based on your observations I'd assume that the resistor is part of a basic RC-filter (C in series, R in parallel -> highpass). So your harness is probably wired as intended.

To add something to this thread I did the exact same reverse engineering thing for the EV-Offer harness (AMD Ryzen, variant C). I can confirm that the EV-Offer harness puts both left side tweeters in parallel to the left dash speaker as well, same for right side. In comparison to Hansshow the EV-Offer harness has no filtering though.

2023-03-15_EV-Offer_Speaker_Activation_Variant_C.jpg

The EV-Offer harness features a subwoofer output (probably the only connector of the harness I will actually use). It simply taps both left & right door woofer signals at the X171-connector (the lower connector directly at the MCU in the passenger footwell). The pins are (data from service.tesla.com and verified with the harness, AMD Ryzen 2022):

X171 Pin 3 door woofer left + WH
X171 Pin 4 door woofer left - RD
X171 Pin 5 door woofer right - RD
X171 Pin 6 door woofer right + TN

On the factory X171-connector these wires have slightly bigger diameter, so easy to identify. You should be able to tap into these wires on the Hansshow adapter harness as well without damaging the factory harness. The EV-offer harness also includes a long 4-wire twisted-pair-harness (not in the picture) to run both door woofer signals to the trunk to feed High-level inputs of an aftermarket subwoofer amp.

The EV-Offer harness also taps the signals of rear left and rear right door speakers to use rear shelf speakers that are no longer equipped... So pretty useless unless you want to go through the hassle of retrofitting them (not worth the effort in my eyes).

The EV-Offer harness has no connector for the right door tweeter like Hansshow does (X053-connector). Instead EV-Offer supplies two positaps to tap into the speaker wires at the passenger door connector. This really is a poor solution as it damages the factory harness. If I were to use the harness I'd also strongly advise to use a proper crimping connector instead of unreliable positaps.

In the end both EV-Offer and Hansshow harnesses use the same questionable approach of putting the two unused tweeters of each side in paralell to the corresponding dashspeaker. Three instead of one drivers on the same channel messes with impedance, frequency response and electrical load on the factory amp especially at higher volumes. All three drivers get the same signal so we don't need to start talking about runtime correction or volume adjust of each individual speaker for proper sound stage integration - it's just not possible. On top of that the left door tweeter is actually active even for the standard soundsystem as it plays some system sounds like autopilot or indicators. That's probably the reason why the systems sounds are messed up after the installation of the harness.

Personal verdict:
Overall you can say that the idea of activating unused tweeters with just a harness is quite nice but the implementation actually sucks.

As mentioned above the only useful thing in my eyes is the door woofer tap from the EV-offer harness for a subwoofer retrofit. For the front stage I personally will not bother with the speaker activation harness and look into a driver swap for the dashspeakers instead. I'm looking into BMW aftermarket speakers as Tesla uses the same 3-hole-mounting pattern. There should be some reasonable aftermarket offerings that fit right in with no need for printed adapters.

If you want to go all-in it's of course possible to salvage the harness for the connectors and build a more sophisticated harness from scratch to e.g. reroute some or all factory amp channels through a DSP and include the unused tweeters in a full active setup. This would be the one clean solution of integrating the unused tweeters on a standard soundsystem in my eyes. A nice project that I will leave to the experts.

Gaskrank: Wonderful post, I won't quote it all, just this snippet.

"Thanks for the insight on the Hansshow harness. Based on your observations I'd assume that the resistor is part of a basic RC-filter (C in series, R in parallel -> highpass). So your harness is probably wired as intended."

If they were creating a crossover that would be fine, but passive crossovers are LC circuits, not RC. R's used in crossovers are for level matching (or zobel) but that's not what they are doing here. The implementation seems incorrect at least in my harness.

I think you hit the nail on the head though that this is a great harness to use for other upgrades, adding a subwoofer etc.

By the way, I am not expert but I exposed the problem to Chat GPT and below the answers :

Regarding the impedance :

The load resistance of a speaker system refers to the overall electrical resistance that the system "presents" to the audio amplifier that drives it. In other words, it is the resistance that the amplifier "sees" when it is connected to the speaker system.

In your case, if you have three 4-ohm speakers connected in parallel, the total load resistance of the system will be 1.33 ohms (calculated using the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3, where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, and R3 are the individual resistances of each speaker). However, if you add a 47-ohm resistor in parallel, the total load resistance of the system will be higher and close to 4 ohms.

This is important because most audio amplifiers are designed to deliver their maximum power to a load resistance of 4 ohms or 8 ohms. If the load resistance is too low, it can cause the amplifier to overheat and be damaged. If the load resistance is too high, it can reduce the output power of the amplifier and affect the overall sound performance.

Therefore, it is important to consider the total load resistance of the speaker system when designing and configuring the system to ensure optimal and safe operation.

Regarding the capacitor and the resistor :

The capacitor and resistor are likely part of a crossover network, which is a circuit that divides the audio signal into different frequency ranges and sends them to the appropriate speakers. The capacitor acts as a high-pass filter, allowing only high-frequency signals to pass through to the tweeter or other high-frequency driver. The resistor, which is connected in parallel with the speakers, helps to attenuate any unwanted frequencies that may be present in the audio signal. Together, the capacitor and resistor can help to improve the overall sound quality and clarity of the speakers.

The resistor is connected in parallel and the capacitor is connected in series. The 3 speakers are connected in parallel, and the total load resistance of the system is close to 4 ohms thanks to the 47-ohm resistor in parallel.

By the way, I am not expert but I exposed the problem to Chat GPT and below the answers :

Regarding the impedance :

The load resistance of a speaker system refers to the overall electrical resistance that the system "presents" to the audio amplifier that drives it. In other words, it is the resistance that the amplifier "sees" when it is connected to the speaker system.

In your case, if you have three 4-ohm speakers connected in parallel, the total load resistance of the system will be 1.33 ohms (calculated using the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3, where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, and R3 are the individual resistances of each speaker). However, if you add a 47-ohm resistor in parallel, the total load resistance of the system will be higher and close to 4 ohms.

This is important because most audio amplifiers are designed to deliver their maximum power to a load resistance of 4 ohms or 8 ohms. If the load resistance is too low, it can cause the amplifier to overheat and be damaged. If the load resistance is too high, it can reduce the output power of the amplifier and affect the overall sound performance.

Therefore, it is important to consider the total load resistance of the speaker system when designing and configuring the system to ensure optimal and safe operation.

Regarding the capacitor and the resistor :

The capacitor and resistor are likely part of a crossover network, which is a circuit that divides the audio signal into different frequency ranges and sends them to the appropriate speakers. The capacitor acts as a high-pass filter, allowing only high-frequency signals to pass through to the tweeter or other high-frequency driver. The resistor, which is connected in parallel with the speakers, helps to attenuate any unwanted frequencies that may be present in the audio signal. Together, the capacitor and resistor can help to improve the overall sound quality and clarity of the speakers.

The resistor is connected in parallel and the capacitor is connected in series. The 3 speakers are connected in parallel, and the total load resistance of the system is close to 4 ohms thanks to the 47-ohm resistor in parallel.
Unfortunately, your math is incorrect. The three 4 ohms speakers are 1.3 ohms as you mentioned but adding a 47-ohm resistor in parallel continues to lower the resistance it does not increase it. The difference is negligible but the way it was implemented is pointless.

2023-04-06 08_27_19-Window.png

What you described with the capacitor/resistor would be correct if that's how they actually wired it, however, they put the 47ohm resistor in parallel with the input and not the output after the series capacitor. That's why in my original post I mentioned that they either don't know about audio or my cable was assembled incorrectly.

It seems at least some people who received the older version of this harness, with the box were happy with the sound, but I've seen a couple of posts about the new version where people are not happy. Perhaps they lost something in the update and no longer wire it the same way, (this is purely speculation as I haven't seen the other versions).

I will simply be using this cable to break out the signals I want and I won't be using it as intended, I will probably try the tweeters, but not the upper pillar speakers.

Even if they corrected the tweeter resistor, the implementation of the upper pillar speaker is just bad, exaggerating the overload on those amplifier channels and causing the distortion that people have expressed. I'm not sure what the frequency range is of the stock midrange, if it doesn't overlap the tweeter using the crossover capacitor in the cable then the effective load on the amplifier channel is still close to nominal, (just dash mid and door tweeter) but even if that's the case the upper pillar speaker makes this 1/2 the nominal while making the upper pillar speaker way louder than it was ever intended, which would cause distortion at moderate volumes even if it's not the amplifier channel causing the distortion.

I hope the above posts make it clear.

The left dash channel powers the left dash speaker, left tweeter, Left A pillar speaker. This would be okay if you don't replace the dash speakers and disconnect the A pillar speaker. Or if you do replace the dash speakers with something full range like the Infinty Ref-4032, then disconnect the tweeter on the Infinity. The right dash channel powers the equivalent right side speakers as I described above. I'm going to try the A pillar speakers with the 47 ohm resistor in series (vs parallel as it is in the hanshow harness) to see if they provide ambiance and not direct sound. This configuration should provide a negligible increase in load on the amplifier channel, so it should play nice and loud without risk of damage.

I'll share the changes once I perform them. Along with how to grab/interrupt the L/R door woofer signals to add an external amp to power the door woofers, as well as a subwoofer.
First off. Thank you. You’re clearing a lot up for me. Do you know the wires for this wire harness? It’s the passenger side wall plug in green.
158B953D-1453-4235-B007-68A00E5221FF.jpeg

Unfortunately, your math is incorrect. The three 4 ohms speakers are 1.3 ohms as you mentioned but adding a 47-ohm resistor in parallel continues to lower the resistance it does not increase it. The difference is negligible but the way it was implemented is pointless.

View attachment 925633

What you described with the capacitor/resistor would be correct if that's how they actually wired it, however, they put the 47ohm resistor in parallel with the input and not the output after the series capacitor. That's why in my original post I mentioned that they either don't know about audio or my cable was assembled incorrectly.

It seems at least some people who received the older version of this harness, with the box were happy with the sound, but I've seen a couple of posts about the new version where people are not happy. Perhaps they lost something in the update and no longer wire it the same way, (this is purely speculation as I haven't seen the other versions).

I will simply be using this cable to break out the signals I want and I won't be using it as intended, I will probably try the tweeters, but not the upper pillar speakers.

Even if they corrected the tweeter resistor, the implementation of the upper pillar speaker is just bad, exaggerating the overload on those amplifier channels and causing the distortion that people have expressed. I'm not sure what the frequency range is of the stock midrange, if it doesn't overlap the tweeter using the crossover capacitor in the cable then the effective load on the amplifier channel is still close to nominal, (just dash mid and door tweeter) but even if that's the case the upper pillar speaker makes this 1/2 the nominal while making the upper pillar speaker way louder than it was ever intended, which would cause distortion at moderate volumes even if it's not the amplifier channel causing the distortion.
Thank you for your feedback, If the 47 ohm resistor is placed in parallel with the input before the series capacitor, then we can assume that it has negligible effect on the impedance of the series capacitor, (so the total impedance as you said would be approximately 1.296 ohms). However, the addition of the 47 ohm resistor in this configuration would act as a voltage divider, potentially reducing the amplitude of the input signal to the speakers. It's strange that Hansshow do thing like that

I'm new to the forum and Tesla world and trying to figure out which kit to buy. This has all been a ton of great info. I have the Model 3 RWD SD 2023 that I would like to add all the speakers in with one of these kits while also adding in a sub/amplifier in the near future (possibly NVX setup for sub).

Let me know if what I"m going to say is accurate:
- The Hansshow DIY +2 rear (old version with box instead of inline) is possibly the better for audio quality.
- This kit does not have a subwoofer line out unless you get Version A
- But with this kit you can (should?) easily tap the line for the front door speakers

Question/statements
The tesla stock unit does not have preamp outputs?

Do you need a line output converter if you tap the front door speaker?

New here, picked up my 2023 M3 RWD last week and LOVING it. I don't really care for the A-pillar drivers, but I find the EVOffer harness intriguing because of the sub-out. Is there any way to kind of make a hybrid harness with the sub-out of the EVOffer, but activate the door tweeters only from the Hansshow and keep the A-pillars disconnected?