Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow premium audio upgrade for 2023 M3SR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did it go? I installed mine today (DIY new version) but there is no audio coming from the front and rear surround speakers, even when I try to mess with the balance. Although I do hear audio from the tweeters but that is not very significant. IDK if i just messed up the install
It went ok. Had a hard time taking out the panel underneath the glovebox and had trouble figuring out where to put the extra harness/connector on the lower B pillar.
So you only have sound on the headliner and the speakers on the side mirrors? Make sure all the connectors click into place properly.
Turning on the additional speakers are ok to me. Not huge of a difference.

It went ok. Had a hard time taking out the panel underneath the glovebox and had trouble figuring out where to put the extra harness/connector on the lower B pillar.
So you only have sound on the headliner and the speakers on the side mirrors? Make sure all the connectors click into place properly.
Turning on the additional speakers are ok to me. Not huge of a difference.
I took a the connections apart and plugged it back in and I had the same issue. I also realized that the 2023 M3 do not come with the rear speakers lol. Regardless there should be 4 speakers that are activated but only two work for me(the black ones that are on the door) the white/beige ones that are on the actual frame don’t work. Is that the case for you?

Hi everyone, just finished installing the DIY (New Version) in my 2023 M3 RWD LFP. Here are my notes that I definitely think will be helpful and useful for those trying to find what limited information that is out there:

- More for personal comfort, but be sure to bring a kneepad or something for your knees. A majority of your time will be spent contorting yourself in weird positions to be able to see the wiring. Being gloves, a flashlight (if you have a clip on / headlamp, even better), and a flat-nosed screwdriver (needed to remove some of the connectors - the white connector with black frame around it needs a screwdriver to undo the latch)

- When you begin, bear in mind that the lower trim piece is two pieces. I almost started trying to take the whole bottom off before by accident I realized just the section with the push-pins (there are 4 on mine) is separate and definitely easier to take off. The bigger section (you can tell it has the 3 "slots" alongside the seam that implies you just need to jam your pry tool in there and push to get it to come out. It doesn't.). Also, the push pins you can easily pop open just by using the forked-end of the pry tool. The pins themselves sometimes can pop right out of the "Expanding" part of the push pin. You can just pop them back in, they're not broken.

- The very LONG side trim piece that runs along the doorsill - you don't necessarily have to completely remove this, as it has some give and rotates slightly. I could not remove the triangular panel that sits to the right of the glovebox in order to move the OTHER rectangular trim to gain access to the push pin to remove the entire long side trim piece - the triangular panel had a clip that just didn't want to come out and I was getting scared of damaging the car if I just YANKED really hard.

- The long side trim piece has two plastic "flaps" that slip under the firewall/carpeting towards the right side of the footwell. They help to keep it flush. Be aware of these flaps when rotating/removing the trim piece.

- Removing/installing/connecting the first 2 of 3 parts (the "main" connector and the side connector with the black locking brace) isn't *too* hard, it just is a little hard to get to. The side connector hides behind the long side trim piece, if you are having trouble locating it. It definitely helps to have small fingers...

- Connecting the last connector by the B pillar is slightly more challenging. Some things to note is that it helps to remove the rubber sealing/trim - you can just pull and it comes off. You can easily put it back on. The blue connector is hidden underneath a white connector plug. You can lift the B pillar trim slightly, but just try to not pull it too hard.

- The white plastic cable guide that hides underneath the door sill has a few triangular "slots" that you can push a flat nosed screwdriver into and push to release the latches so you can remove it. It helps a lot to get to the blue connector.

- The most difficult part of the entire process, at least for me, was trying to find a way how to "hide" the frequency cutoff hardware that is built into the cable. I ended up being able to wedge it underneath the long side trim piece. That, and trying to hide/safely cable manage the extra connectors/cable girth putting the long side trim piece back.

In the end, after installation and cleanup, everything looks perfectly fine. There is a slight bulge where the long side trim piece meets the B pillar, and I believe that is due again to the size of the frequency cutoff hardware built into the cable.

Once installation is complete, I tested everything and all the speakers work! Some observations with the speakers on:
- The additional speakers make the sound feel literally like it is coming from a sound source that is physically higher. This of course makes sense, since the speakers are more above you. Before, the sound felt like it came from somewhere waist level. Now it feels more like the sound is coming from shoulder level.

- The speakers, being mid-range and tweeters, help to add a little clarity and expanded sound stage. Previously, the stock sound sounded very much like the speakers were directly in front of you. Now, they sound like the speakers are placed a little further apart from each other.

- The alerts don't sound any louder with the new speakers on. I have Joe Mode on, and it sounds the same to me.

- Bass sounds the same, as it should.

All in all, this process took me about two hours. Mostly because I have never done something like this and am DEFINITELY not a DIY person. Took everything slowly and being my *only* car, and a *Brand new* car at that, I was extremely terrified. I would recommend that if you are patient, take your time, and want to add more ... "spatialness" to your sound, then do it. The improvement is ... not mind-blowing - it is more subtle.

If anyone has any questions, I would be more than happy to answer them. I apologize that I did not take any photos, but would definitely recommend the following video - watched it a million times before doing myself to make sure I knew the process. I apologize if I am being very wordy here, but I just want to put out as much detail as I can for those that are on the fence about doing it or can't find any helpful info.

-
(One thing to note about this is that he is working on an older model. As I mentioned earlier, the first piece you need to remove is not the piece that has the 3 slits/slots. It is further back, and has the actual push-pin holes. Also, this video is for a different installation involving adding rear speakers, and uses a different main connector. The Hansshow one uses the main connector above the one used in this video )

Last edited:
I took a the connections apart and plugged it back in and I had the same issue. I also realized that the 2023 M3 do not come with the rear speakers lol. Regardless there should be 4 speakers that are activated but only two work for me(the black ones that are on the door) the white/beige ones that are on the actual frame don’t work. Is that the case for you?
If you installed the Hansshow DIY(New) for Ryzen, all 4 speakers (the black ones in the doors opposite the side mirrors and the ones in the headliner) should work. If they dont, would definitely check and make sure that you have all the connections done. You can tell because they all click into place.

I am struggling on getting the panel underneath the glovebox. I only managed to get the right most side removed. I feel like there is still something holding the panel in place.
I had that same issue until I realized I was trying to get the wrong piece off! Haha, I didn't realize it was TWO pieces - the piece with the 3 slits is NOT the one - its the piece behind it with the 4 push-pin holes!

I just took mine out

For my used and damaged ears it did nothing for me.

I have DIY for Ryzen 2022

Anywhere I can sell this?
I will admit that the improvement is subtle, but you should be able to notice it. Can you confirm that all four of the speakers now work? I tested by changing the fade/balance to each of the front corners.

If they do indeed work and you want to sell I am sure you can sell it on your local Craigslist or Facebook.

Reactions: clovis_ll
If you installed the Hansshow DIY(New) for Ryzen, all 4 speakers (the black ones in the doors opposite the side mirrors and the ones in the headliner) should work. If they dont, would definitely check and make sure that you have all the connections done. You can tell because they all click into place.
So turns out that my dome lights/hazard lights/lights on the mirrors do not work. I wonder if power is delivered to those areas and the 2 speakers that do not work with a common wire that I used the harness for. Does anyone have any info regarding where the power comes from for the beige speakers? Tyia

So turns out that my dome lights/hazard lights/lights on the mirrors do not work. I wonder if power is delivered to those areas and the 2 speakers that do not work with a common wire that I used the harness for. Does anyone have any info regarding where the power comes from for the beige speakers? Tyia
I don’t know about the wiring specifically, but I think the best thing to do for now is to make sure that the cables you took out/reconnected are properly plugged in everywhere. If all else fails, and you removed the entire Hansshow harness and put it back the way it was and it still doesn’t work, then I would recommend to schedule a service appointment.

I don’t know about the wiring specifically, but I think the best thing to do for now is to make sure that the cables you took out/reconnected are properly plugged in everywhere. If all else fails, and you removed the entire Hansshow harness and put it back the way it was and it still doesn’t work, then I would recommend to schedule a service appointment.
So I have an appointment with the service center but I’m afraid they’ll void my warranty if they see the hanshow diy kit.

Also I now know that my car failed the update. Can this happen with the audio kit? Did you guys successfully do the 2023.2.10 update? Are you guys having any trouble turning on the interior lights/hazards/voice controls?

So I have an appointment with the service center but I’m afraid they’ll void my warranty if they see the hanshow diy kit.

Also I now know that my car failed the update. Can this happen with the audio kit? Did you guys successfully do the 2023.2.10 update? Are you guys having any trouble turning on the interior lights/hazards/voice controls?
I would probably remove the harness but is up to you. As if they find that was the cause they could be a pain about it.

I have the og diy for the 2022 lhd no issues updating to 2023.2.10. No issues with lights voice or hazard.

I would probably remove the harness but is up to you. As if they find that was the cause they could be a pain about it.

I have the og diy for the 2022 lhd no issues updating to 2023.2.10. No issues with lights voice or hazard.
I agree with @cbigfoot. If you are gonna get it fixed on the service center, I would take the harness out. My car was already on 2023.2.10 before the install. I hope there aren't any issues when an update comes on mine.
I have had my car for only a week, so sadly have not gotten the newer update. Am rocking 2022.44.100! But yes to echo everybody else, take out the harness before taking your car to get serviced.
So I took out the harness today and did a soft reset. Erased my hotspot as a WiFi network and reconnected it. Put it in service mode and tried to reinstall the software. Still the same issues the lights don’t work and I noticed that voice control does not work either. So now I guess only move is to bring it in to SC?

Unfortunately, yeah that is what I would do.
Sooo…slightly frustrated and embarrassed lol. I signed up for Tesla Service and Repair Information Free material (Tesla Service) and looked at the mapping for the power for the areas that were affected. Not coincidentally, they all share a power harness and it is on the drivers side. Turns out when I first tried to install the hanshow harness, I was following YouTube videos for the diy videos and for those units you have to cross the harness from the passenger side to the drivers side and plug it in there. So I had actually unplugged the power supply to those areas and then realized that the diy new version harness only gets plugged into the passenger side and closed up the drivers side panel without actually plugging the original harness back in…

So I went back and plugged it in, all the lights with and hazards work. Put the car in service mode and did the update. Everything checks out. Only thing that I did not check was the voice commands and I think it wasn’t working earlier because there was no power to the mic. All in all, the update was failing because I left that wire unplugged on the drivers side. Root cause: user error probably due to low research and lack of instructions/guides

Glad I fixed it before Tesla. Was afraid of being scolded by the SC

Is there a diy kit that provides subwoofer outputs for a 2023? The hansshow one doesn't and I think I want to add a sub this time.

I could have sworn I sawo One but I can't find it again. I just want to enable the unused front speakers and add a small sub.

Thanks!

Reactions: 2023M3RWD