Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HANSSHOW Trunk Liftgate v3 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hansshow still didn't post any new video to their channel. But they did WhatsApp message a new install video to me which is pretty good, but it's specifically only about how to fish the power strut cables from the strut to the 'blue grommet' place behind the bumper, which is good for showing what I believe is the best way to run those cables. Hopefully they publish it to YouTube eventually.

I still wish someone had a V4 installed with the CANBUS and could confirm the behavior change to the open/close experience on the screen and in the app. Hopefully it's gone away from the cycling/animating and works more cleanly like the Tesla Offer one.

I do have the V4 Hansshow, with the CANBUS plugged in and I am still seeing the open/opened cycling on the screen (animation).

I’m just a consumer & SR+ owner with the experience of installing what was sent to me, but I don’t think there’s a way to get the touchscreen to switch from “Open” to “Close” being displayed as that’s not designed into the car.

The two companies competing for our business are just taking a different approach to “hack” / solve the same inherent problem.

Don’t worry too much about it. I’m sure both work very well.

j

Reactions: univ0298
Hansshow still didn't post any new video to their channel. But they did WhatsApp message a new install video to me which is pretty good, but it's specifically only about how to fish the power strut cables from the strut to the 'blue grommet' place behind the bumper, which is good for showing what I believe is the best way to run those cables. Hopefully they publish it to YouTube eventually.

I still wish someone had a V4 installed with the CANBUS and could confirm the behavior change to the open/close experience on the screen and in the app. Hopefully it's gone away from the cycling/animating and works more cleanly like the Tesla Offer one.

This video has good detail on running strut wires under the bumper & the whole install:

Good video by Electrified Garage overall except I wouldn't drill a hole for the left side strut cable. Instead use an existing hole behind the bumper like shown is Hannshow's own video:

The video only shows the right side but I assume there is an equivalent hole in the left as well and if there isn't a hole on the left maybe the cable for the left strut can be run behind the bumper all the way to the right side hole.

anybody seen a comprehensive table or description between the versions and vendors? Seems almost like a Wiki entry opportunity! I'm having trouble following the ball because I've been on the sidelines waiting for things to settle down...which isn't happening as fast as I thought!

yes this. It’s really amazing how poor the information on exactly how to install and what the differences are between products and versions. There’s a wide variety of combinations of course but it is still more frustrating than it should be

Finally got around to installing today, went for the bumper off and drill option. All good, except it doesn’t close properly! It stops around 5cm from fully closed. It’s not that it’s not latching properly - it doesn’t even get that far! Any ideas? I’m sure I read something about it but I can’t remember where...

Attachments

• B497E69D-F012-4847-873C-0DA7EA0FB1C9.jpeg
    B497E69D-F012-4847-873C-0DA7EA0FB1C9.jpeg
    441.6 KB · Views: 98
Finally got around to installing today, went for the bumper off and drill option. All good, except it doesn’t close properly! It stops around 5cm from fully closed. It’s not that it’s not latching properly - it doesn’t even get that far! Any ideas? I’m sure I read something about it but I can’t remember where...
Try to increase the closing strength to the next level - that fixed the problem for me

I’d send a What’s App to the service number for whichever vendor you used, but you can try this too.

Manually press the trunk lid closed, and check the latch alignment on the way down. If that seems off adjust. Then, use the trunk button to open, press and hold the reset button on the controller until you hear a longish beep (it may do a height adjustment). Then, press the new trunk button to close and see how that works. After that you can adjust the speed.

Good luck!

Don’t want to hijack the thread, but how long did it take to get the kit. I ordered mine just over 2 weeks ago and have not heard anything

thanks
Dave

Mine took around 2 weeks to Houston, TX. No interim updates until a day or two before, then got a DHL notification and package a day or two later. I think there was a tracking number on the invoice, but it wasn’t very informative until the package cleared customs and was almost delivered.

I do have the V4 Hansshow, with the CANBUS plugged in and I am still seeing the open/opened cycling on the screen (animation).

I’m just a consumer & SR+ owner with the experience of installing what was sent to me, but I don’t think there’s a way to get the touchscreen to switch from “Open” to “Close” being displayed as that’s not designed into the car.

The two companies competing for our business are just taking a different approach to “hack” / solve the same inherent problem.

Don’t worry too much about it. I’m sure both work very well.

j

Yes I asked Hanshow (on WhatsApp) what the V4 CANBUS experience was on the screen and he said it's still animated. He showed a green wire you can cut if you don't want this. The Tesla Offer competitor video shows some quite big examples of why the animation could be an annoying problem and, even in the best case scenario, might cause the the close button on screen, phone, key fob, to not work half the time. I was thinking that once Hansshow started using the CANBUS too (like they did in V4), that their behavior would become the same, but it seems not. Having the green wire cut option seems like maybe it allows Hansshow to be like the TO one if you prefer, but I'm not certain if I'm totally right about that.

Anyway, you're probably right that both work well, and I'm leaning towards ordering Hansshow due to cheaper price

I had a chat with Hansshow about V4 canbus enhancements and he mentioned that they were only for safety purposes.

The issue that the canbus cable supposedly fixes is preventing the trunk to open during low speeds. I have actually tried opening it up during slow speeds and it does open. Perhaps, by reading the canbus hansshow is able to deny the request to open the trunk while it is not in parked.

This makes me wonder how hansshow prevents the trunk from opening when the key is not in the vacinity.... Perhaps it is based off of the lock/unlock state of the car.