Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HANSSHOW Trunk Liftgate v3 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not that you have to cut the wires per se but they are pre-cut and you have to join them back together. On their install videos, they simply twist them together and tape them up. It's a bit more work but always better to solder and heatshrink. Hansshow does have 2 versions of their trunk kit; a DIY version and an installer's version. Oddly, the installer's version does not need this wire joining which seems counter-intuitive that a DIY version would require doing so. This was one of the reasons I chose TeslaOffer's kit and it was truly plug and play.

It's not that you have to cut the wires per se but they are pre-cut and you have to join them back together. On their install videos, they simply twist them together and tape them up. It's a bit more work but always better to solder and heatshrink. Hansshow does have 2 versions of their trunk kit; a DIY version and an installer's version. Oddly, the installer's version does not need this wire joining which seems counter-intuitive that a DIY version would require doing so. This was one of the reasons I chose TeslaOffer's kit and it was truly plug and play.

I think he's referring to cutting the plug end to fish up the trunk tube and into the upper trunk? Then having to rewire the plug end back on.

I think he's referring to cutting the plug end to fish up the trunk tube and into the upper trunk? Then having to rewire the plug end back on.

There's no cutting of plugs or wires. Just like tlr1000 said, the kit comes with the 5 bare wires with no connection on them. That way, you can fish it up the rubber tube easier. Once it's up, you can solder or butt connect the wires with the harness.

Are you referring to the plug that connects to the trunk close button? No need to cut that wire either. You can separate the pins from the plastic plug before fishing it up, then pushing the pins back into it. The Electrified Garage video shows how to do this

My neighbour installed this hansshow kit on his Model 3 for the frunk...it's so cool. He still needs to do the rear for the power trunk kit. I will see if I can pass some pointers onto him.

I saved 15% off with Hansshow coupon code teslanorth...will see how this goes!

Completed the install last night, it took me 10hrs (though the printed instructions were only 25 steps) to install mainly because there weren't any good videos or install guides. Hansshows documentation is lacking BIGTIME. The main headache of the install was to remove the panels from the car, the manual tells you what to remove but doesn't mention how to remove them so you spend a bunch of time on YouTube to figure stuff out. The main part of the instruction manual on how/where to connect the power was this blurry little picture that is hard to understand, so Im here to tell you the power you're tapping off is in the front passenger footwell. You have to remove the panel on the right side of your right foot, BUT you also have to remove the panel below your glove compartment. Removing the side panel alone does not reveal the (red) power cable where you need to tap off. I know you're saying...hey were's the pics, but after 10hrs of frustration, on the coldest day in the north east, in your driveway in the middle of the night... taking photos was the last thing on my mind, just wanted to get it done. Overall I think I could have completed this in 3-4hrs if it was clear on how to remove/re-install all the panels, especially the bumper cover. The manual does not mention you have to remove the bumper (even though I didn't purchase the foot sensor), but in V3 unit you have to drop the bumper to route power strut cables correctly. It sux because Im pretty sure I didn't re-install the bumper correctly since now there is a noticeable gap that wasn't there before. I'll have to look at that this weekend.

Overall Im satisfied with the unit, but fix the f'ing manual.
Just done this myself yesterday and I feel your pain. Some of the routing suggested simply didn’t work for me. Perhaps that was a combination of being a UK right hand drive and a more recent 2020 model.
Took me 7 hours and it’s sort of working though I need to adjust the closing strength and speed. Also need to replace the trim and tidy up.
It’s a great kit, well made etc but ffs fix the manual!

Anyone know what in the world is going on with HansShow? I went to purchase the V1-V3 Frunk and V1-V4 Trunk Upgrade and the link doesn’t work again. Sends you to internet purgatory. I’ve WhatsAppd them and cricket dead space. William? @Cici.Hung ? Where is everyone? On a second note anyone know if they’ve finally made the 2018 Canbus adapter that fits on the upgrade kit? Getting frustrated.

Ski

I purchased their v4 trunk upgrade kit just before it was taken down from their site. My trunk kit was v2. When I installed the firmware update, my trunk became unresponsive. I couldn’t open from the app, screen, or trunk button. I had to use the emergency latch inside. I also didn’t gain any of the v4 functions like how the trunk alternates from open to close to let you know the trunk is currently open. I contacted Hansshow and after some trouble shooting, they sent me the necessary v4 harness. This is also when they removed the v4 upgrade link on their site. The new harness they sent required fishing the wires through the tube to the trunk lid again. Everything is working correctly for me know. The upgraded v4 latch mechanism opens much quieter than my v2 did, no thud noise when starting to open anymore. And my screen now shows the open/close alternating animation.

• Informative
Reactions: Skione65
I purchased their v4 trunk upgrade kit just before it was taken down from their site. My trunk kit was v2. When I installed the firmware update, my trunk became unresponsive. I couldn’t open from the app, screen, or trunk button. I had to use the emergency latch inside. I also didn’t gain any of the v4 functions like how the trunk alternates from open to close to let you know the trunk is currently open. I contacted Hansshow and after some trouble shooting, they sent me the necessary v4 harness. This is also when they removed the v4 upgrade link on their site. The new harness they sent required fishing the wires through the tube to the trunk lid again. Everything is working correctly for me know. The upgraded v4 latch mechanism opens much quieter than my v2 did, no thud noise when starting to open anymore. And my screen now shows the open/close alternating animation.
Did your upgrade include a link to the CANBUS?

Anyone know what in the world is going on with HansShow? I went to purchase the V1-V3 Frunk and V1-V4 Trunk Upgrade and the link doesn’t work again. Sends you to internet purgatory. I’ve WhatsAppd them and cricket dead space. William? @Cici.Hung ? Where is everyone? On a second note anyone know if they’ve finally made the 2018 Canbus adapter that fits on the upgrade kit? Getting frustrated.

Ski
Did you contact me ? I didn't got your message on whatsapp. I just sent you message.

Just want to say - I had a problem with one strut on my Frunk kit. Hansshow gave very good technical help by WhatsApp and agreed to swap the strut. The new strut arrive around 10 days ago but I have only just had time to fit it. Everything on the Frunk is now perfect. I am very impressed with Hansshow for the help they gave me - even though I bought the kit from a reseller in the UK. They did not query the warranty at all. Thank you Hansshow.

got my Hansshow frunk+trunk liftgates installed by RPM Tesla the other week and its been working great. Heres hoping there are no issues if I need to take my car into service. Ill likely remove the lead to the 12V battery if I do

Out of curiosity, where do they run the strut cables for the trunk?

Looks like they ran it under the tailights

upload_2020-9-17_22-15-34.png

Looks like they ran it under the tailights

View attachment 589403

From that picture it could be under taillights or through the blue grommets but not sure if they spent the extra time to fish it there. If you go through a heavy rain or wash your car have a look around the taillight for moisture to make sure it stays dry there. Running through taillights is the easiest way to install but will distort the taillight seal which may cause issues down the road.