Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hard breaking when passing semi on the right at high speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
maybe it is trying to tell you that you shouldn't be passing on the right?...especially at high speed

I've seen Semi's sit in the left lane, also some highways have left lane merges.

my AP2.0 still hard break at high speed when passing a semi on the right. Does this happen to everyone? Or just my car?

I don't have this issue on my AP2. What software version are you on?

Reactions: David99
I don't think it was. They teach you that in defensive driving course as well: Trucks and Safe Passing: What You Should Know - Defensive Driving

The truck should not be in the left lane (unless passing another car), but that's beside the point.

Completely not what I am saying, it is a 4 lane freeway, all cars moving in the same direction. When AP2.0 is on, moving traffic speed, say 70mph. Passing a semi on the right while still maintaining on the same lane. The car would hard break.

Completely not what I am saying, it is a 4 lane freeway, all cars moving in the same direction. When AP2.0 is on, moving traffic speed, say 70mph. Passing a semi on the right while still maintaining on the same lane. The car would hard break.

Yes I have seen a similar response since .42.

It seems as if my Tesla was afraid of getting close to its Nemesis.. the white painted tractor trailer rig when I was on a middle lane of a 5 lane Interstate and the rig was in the next lane to the right.
Don't know if chill would help if I did have it on.

• Funny
Reactions: CarbonFree
I've had some braking while trying to pass semis to my right. To my mind this is a trade-off between passing a lane-filling semi and actually wanting to brake for a vehicle that is merging or wondering into your lane. AP may not have the accuracy to determine if the semi is fully into its lane or one foot into your lane. This is one side of that problem. In another thread the OP was complaining of an accident when a truck merged into their lane and AP didn't brake fast enough. That's the other side of the problem. Hopefully it errs a little more on the phantom braking side.

I find if I’m coming up on a truck in the right lane and I’m one lane over, and the freeway is arcing to the left, car suddenly brakes. Once freeway straightened out, speeds back up. Doesn’t do this for cars, only big trucks.
It must think truck is in my lane.

I just notice this same behavior today on a couple hundred mile drive. AP2.5, Currently on 50.3. This was the first time I observed this and I haven’t noticed it on previous versions.

While on AP on the freeway at ~70mph, I started getting closer to a semi truck which was in the lane to my right. The lane I was in was completely clear and AP started braking a little slowing me down to 60 something mph. In the dash, a car icon was intermittently being displayed in the lane to my right where the semi truck was. It did this a couple of times and even did it to a couple of large SUVs too. This only appeared to happen with cars on the right side.