Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Harvard finds certified green buildings improve both thinking and sleep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

S'toon

Knows where his towel is
Apr 23, 2015
AB
New research from the Harvard School of Public Health finds that workers in high-performing, green-certified buildings think and sleep better than those in similar buildings that were not green-certified.

Led by Dr. Joe Allen, director of Harvard’s Healthy Buildings program, researchers studied 109 workers in 10 buildings in various climate zones across the country for one week. All the buildings were high-performance in terms of having high ventilation rates and low total volatile organic compounds (VOCs), but six were specifically green-certified.

The researchers found that compared to workers in the non-certified buildings, workers in the green-certified buildings had 26 percent higher cognitive function scores, reported 30 percent fewer “sick building” health symptoms, and saw 6.4 percent higher “sleep quality scores” (as measured by wearable sleep monitors).

<snip>

You may be wondering how it is that people in green-certified buildings slept measurably better at night. The answer appears to be better quality (bluer) light and more light (a larger contrast between daytime exposure and night-time):
1*iwHWy3WaB3BYnUvMqlXbUQ.jpeg

The findings from this study were presented pre-publication at the U.S. Green Building Council’s annual Greenbuild conference. More information on both studies is available here.
Full article at:
https://thinkprogress.org/green-buildings-improve-thinking-and-sleep-29c2d47cc037#.fjuv0zail

Well...I work in a LEEDS certified building and have not noticed said benefits. Haven't noticed change one way or the other:). A personal annoyance is that although the building is LEEDS certified and although they have special spaces in the adjacent parking garage marked for Low Emitting Vehicles, the only chargers are L1.

It may depend upon specific aspects of the building.
In our case, we recently moved into a NetZero house, built with a lot of focus on clean air.

We are sleeping better, and I find myself with more energy.
Purely anecdotal of course, but I can see why a study would find similar results in general.

Reactions: Grendal