Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Any P3D+ Owners Gotten Carbon Fiber Spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spoiler's been on for a little over 3 months and seems to be slowly unsticking at the ends. I'm thinking of asking Tesla to remove it and either re-apply to have been wait until they sort out how to do this properly. What do you think: should I ask and do you think they will actually do it or try to claim this is normal?
IMG_7749.jpg
IMG_8362.jpg

I’ve had OEM spoiler for a couple months... it looks awesome and it’s by far my fav spoiler I’ve seen for the Model 3, but it’s been coming up on both sides about 1/4” and it’s also slightly crooked, and has been this way since day 1... I told my service guy this wasn’t acceptable, considering I had to wait 10 months and it’s on my Monroney sticker as a line item... I also chose my color based on how the spoiler looks with it (SB).... Rather than trying attempt after attempt, I’m ok w leaving this one on until they come up with a way to make spoilers that fit the actual trunk... My service guy agreed with that plan, so now I just wait until I can see some consistently correct spoilers being installed. The way they look on the picture of the ordering page is how they should look when delivered...

My service guy has been excellent by the way.. I asked him a question yesterday and he said he’d send the mobile tech over to talk with me about it, and while he was there he can install some part on the chart port that needs replacing. He also has always gotten back to me right away.

Just throwing this in there, it makes me a lot less upset about the spoiler situation knowing my service guy agrees with my concerns and is willing to replace it when they fit. He himself certainly doesn’t make the spoilers and he isn’t trying to gas light me into thinking I’m being too picky or anal about it.

Did your service guy actually give any indication that this is ever going to happen?

Yes he did, he agreed that when I requested it, they’d replace my spoiler.... I have a really good guy that I stay in contact with that’s in charge of all mobile service in my state... he clearly agreed spoiler was not what was advertised nor what I was waiting 10 months for... honestly it looks like a HS kid slapped it on w some tape to look cool, not a design and functional element of a $75k vehicle... you can find pics of it if you search earlier in this thread and that’s what it looked like on day 1... I wasn’t around when mobile tech installed it, if I was, it would have came off before he left....

He also agreed Tesla doesn’t have the correctly fitting parts available yet as this is basically a problem for every spoiler they’ve been installing.... some won’t complain, but prob very few.. he said they’ve been having almost everyone complain about it... he said they had a bunch they could bring over and dry test and I declined that offer... he agreed we’d all be better off waiting...

Mine was installed at the factory and the driver side started peeling the day after I took delivery. Passenger side started peeling one day later.

I scheduled service for 10/15 to get this fixed but after reading this thread I'm starting to wonder if it's even worth wasting my time with this BS and just buy an aftermarket one and be done with it.

Anyone try the RPM Tesla one? Fit looks good in the video:
Model 3 Carbon Fiber Performance Spoiler (From $229)

Also, is it safe to drive the car like this with the edges popping up? I mean, has anyone had theirs actually fly off while driving? I was about to go tape it down with painters tape but if it'll hold for a while I'll just leave it alone.

Attachments

• 20190924_185304.jpg
    20190924_185304.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 20190926_133958.jpg
    20190926_133958.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 73
Yes he did, he agreed that when I requested it, they’d replace my spoiler.... I have a really good guy that I stay in contact with that’s in charge of all mobile service in my state... he clearly agreed spoiler was not what was advertised nor what I was waiting 10 months for... honestly it looks like a HS kid slapped it on w some tape to look cool, not a design and functional element of a $75k vehicle... you can find pics of it if you search earlier in this thread and that’s what it looked like on day 1... I wasn’t around when mobile tech installed it, if I was, it would have came off before he left....

He also agreed Tesla doesn’t have the correctly fitting parts available yet as this is basically a problem for every spoiler they’ve been installing.... some won’t complain, but prob very few.. he said they’ve been having almost everyone complain about it... he said they had a bunch they could bring over and dry test and I declined that offer... he agreed we’d all be better off waiting...

Thanks for the details. Yet none of this gives me confidence that your guy has insider information Tesla is actually in process of building or even designing a new part, which would have much higher chance of actually fitting properly than the existing batch of spoilers. Seems to me the approach is still "replace spoilers that lift with the same part over and over until customers stop complaining".

Also, is it safe to drive the car like this with the edges popping up? I mean, has anyone had theirs actually fly off while driving? I was about to go tape it down with painters tape but if it'll hold for a while I'll just leave it alone.

Mobile Service in Northern CA, told me there was one installed over PPF that lifted, then came loose and actually flew off and hit the car behind it on the freeway. I contacted Xpel after hearing this and they told me if the spoiler is installed correctly, there should be no issue.

Mobile Service in Northern CA, told me there was one installed over PPF that lifted, then came loose and actually flew off and hit the car behind it on the freeway. I contacted Xpel after hearing this and they told me if the spoiler is installed correctly, there should be no issue.

Dang .... ok, I better keep an eye on it then. Thanks for the info. So much for no maintenance on these cars. Instead of checking the oil weekly, now I need to check the spoiler every time I go for a drive o_O

• Funny
Reactions: jkoya
I just had Mobile Service drop mine off but not install it. The local detailer that did my wrap says they can install it and they say they can do a better job to mount it flush with better tape.

I do have one question for those who have it installed - either at the factory or through service. Does the car icon on the console screen change to reflect the spoiler on the back? Also, there are claims that the car is speed limited to something like 140MPH until Tesla tags the car as having the spoiler installed, then they flag that the top speed is now the 162.

Anyone able to comment on those things?

Getting my spoiler appointment setup on Monday.. should I provide them with more tape? Should I tape the hell out of it? LOL

What seems to be the underlying factor of why it peels off?? Why do some people have no issues and others do? Could it be the process of applying it? Would more tape around the edges/corner/ends be better???

Getting my spoiler appointment setup on Monday.. should I provide them with more tape? Should I tape the hell out of it? LOL

What seems to be the underlying factor of why it peels off?? Why do some people have no issues and others do? Could it be the process of applying it? Would more tape around the edges/corner/ends be better???

Crappy mfr and design. Every single one fits differently and carbon fiber is rather rigid. I've not seen a single perfect one personally and I've gone through 4 myself attached and at least 10 dry fit.

So it's been about a month since my 4th install and of course it's separating

EIr9daZ.jpg

The hilarious thing is when I scheduled the replacement the guy who called said it's not a widespread problem. Yeah maybe if you compare it to total model 3's sold since the Performance is low volume. But I don't believe for a second that this isnt happening for the large majority of performance model 3s. I think a lot of people have just accepted it which is BS. But I understand, after going through 4 I'm tired of dealing with this. I may have to just accept it as well as dumb as it is

Thanks for the details. Yet none of this gives me confidence that your guy has insider information Tesla is actually in process of building or even designing a new part, which would have much higher chance of actually fitting properly than the existing batch of spoilers. Seems to me the approach is still "replace spoilers that lift with the same part over and over until customers stop complaining".

TBH I wouldn't have any confidence based on my above post. They don't seem to care about the issue. Not enough people are demanding a fix.

I had the same problem with my spoiler as well. Between the spoiler and the backup camera issue it has been like pulling teeth to get service to resolve. They went through 2 spoilers and could not get a clean install before just giving me one to get installed elsewhere. Scratched my bumper on the first install, and demolished the wrap during the 2nd.

Third party installer (in this case, the guy that did my wrap) did an incredible job and we no longer have a gap on either side, and it's straight and centered. Tesla finally did agree to cover the damages, but we're still waiting on the camera.

It's news to me that the spoiler being crooked is a common issue, but in a way I'm not surprised. The whole shipping of P3D's with pieces delivered 6-12 months after the car was delivered was a nightmare all around (for service, for customers, for shareholders dealing with the Model 3 ramp pain, etc...)

spoiler.jpg
wrap-damage.jpg