Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anybody noticed availability improvements at SCs?

I've visited a (formerly) congested SC site and noticed:

• Congested SC better availability

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Congested SC about the same availability

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • Congested SC worse availabiliity

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Resurrecting this old poll. Now that SC stall availability is visible on our navs, I was pleasantly surprised to see several stalls available at both FV and SJC yesterday evening (Saturday), around 5-6pm. To see any availability at either of these sites during daylight hours is impressive. I have even seen some availability at Burbank. Of course, this depends on the accuracy of the Nav, but still, I like it.
I've been monitoring a few busy SC stations that I visit in N. Ca. and they seem to have fewer cars (and none of them have been full when I've looked) so I think the situation is improving.
One site is Galleria in Roseville which is at a large shopping center and was frequently full in the past. I think a lot of people just parked there and shopped for hours. Availability there has been much better.

Reactions: EVie'sDad
I've yet to see a congested SC.
...said jerry33, of Texas
I might add, I think the pile of tumble-weeds was a little taller at the last SuperCharger I visited, in Waco, TX.
My last trip, I charged at five different places, and the only other electric I saw, was one Leaf, that I think was left charging overnight. I don't know how it is in California, but I managed to go ~500 miles, and only one of my stops was at a Supercharger, and then, only for about 80 miles of added range.

So... Perhaps the solution is to not charge at peak times? :D

Unfortunately, Peak times in the Bay Area are almost 24/7 ... get ready for the influx of Model 3 later this year :cool:

Tesla Model 3: First pictures of chassis and inside the ‘alien dreadnought’?

upload_2017-2-20_11-25-49.png

• Funny
Reactions: Red Sage
  • Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
How many Teslas are there in the Bay Area ? I have a 30 mile commute to work, and I am pretty sure I see at least 30-40 during my drive time. No wonder the SCs are full. I had to once use San Mateo as my 220V at home was still not ready. There was a line of 5 cars waiting when I arrived there

Unfortunately, Peak times in the Bay Area are almost 24/7 ... get ready for the influx of Model 3 later this year :cool:
At least the Model 3 drivers will have to pay for Supercharging once they use up their free 400 kWh, assuming they get that much (and I'd think that they'd save it for road trips). Except for those that don't have home charging available, I think that the number of Model 3 locals using Superchargers will be relatively few. While Tesla builds more Superchargers, the number of cars with unlimited free Supercharging will remain relatively constant and then decline slowly as the cars die off.

What I've noticed is that there doesn't' seem to be more stalls available but for the first time I see many more people sitting in their cars when they used to just park and walk away to go shopping. I think it's helping with a faster turnover. I still see lines (in CA) but it seems to turn quicker and you don't see empty cars sitting so much anymore.

Previously I had times where after a wait I'd get a spot, charge from 10% to 80% and not a single car left the entire time I was there and most of the cars were sitting empty of drivers.

So the net-net seems to be there are still lines but stalls are turning over quicker.

Those poll results form a perfect normal distribution curve centred on "about the same".
Since the purpose of the idle fee was to address busy superchargers, I think it is reasonable to infer that the purpose of this poll was to address the same. When people come here and say "I have never seen a busy supercharger" and at the same time vote that there has been no change invalidates the entire purpose of this poll.

Since the purpose of the idle fee was to address busy superchargers, I think it is reasonable to infer that the purpose of this poll was to address the same. When people come here and say "I have never seen a busy supercharger" and at the same time vote that there has been no change invalidates the entire purpose of this poll.
Very true.
For the poll to be useful it needs to be restricted to users of SCs that were previously (and possibly still) congested, otherwise any true change is swamped by all the "still empty" reports.

I've been monitoring a few busy SC stations that I visit in N. Ca. and they seem to have fewer cars (and none of them have been full when I've looked) so I think the situation is improving.
One site is Galleria in Roseville which is at a large shopping center and was frequently full in the past. I think a lot of people just parked there and shopped for hours. Availability there has been much better.

I saw that too, Northern California is showing more availability, however seems to indicate fewer stalls that actually available at times. Could this be due to errors in algorithyms or delayed or failure of data getting to the backend cloud?