Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone got updated map?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove down Rt. 3 from NH to MA yesterday, and found the highway exit signs had all been re-numbered, while the map on my Model 3 still showed the old numbers. My questions:

1. Has anyone got an updated map with the new numbers?
2. Have the signs on I95, I90, and I495 in MA been updated yet?

Thanks!

From the info posted by MassDOT on New MassDOT Exit Numbering, it looks like most of the Mass renumbering work is complete with the exceptions of Rt 128 / I-95, and I-84. Rt 128/I-95 is underway - saw updated signs in the Gloucester area yesterday. Not sure about further down as I wasn't paying attention.

I have no idea when Tesla will be pushing updated maps out with renumbering.

Reactions: datoda
From the info posted by MassDOT on New MassDOT Exit Numbering, it looks like most of the Mass renumbering work is complete with the exceptions of Rt 128 / I-95, and I-84. Rt 128/I-95 is underway - saw updated signs in the Gloucester area yesterday. Not sure about further down as I wasn't paying attention.

I have no idea when Tesla will be pushing updated maps out with renumbering.

everyone on the FSD Beat supposedly has newer maps than we do, so it's possible we'll all get a map push before FSD goes live. Not sure if they'll get the exit numbers in there, though.

• Informative
Reactions: Tdreamer
While I believe Tesla does use Google for traffic data, I think they use OpenStreetMap for the maps themselves. Not sure who owns updating those maps when exit numbers change. OpenStreetMap Wiki
In comparing the Tesla map detail and item of interests to Google maps, they look identical, right down to the number of reviews when you select an item of interest. Also, the satellite views also look like Google maps satellite views.

In comparing the Tesla map detail and item of interests to Google maps, they look identical, right down to the number of reviews when you select an item of interest. Also, the satellite views also look like Google maps satellite views.
You're talking about different things. The display map and traffic information is from Google. The map data that the Autopilot computer uses is from OSM.

• Informative
Reactions: Tdreamer
You're talking about different things. The display map and traffic information is from Google. The map data that the Autopilot computer uses is from OSM.
Well, we ARE talking about the displayed navigation maps here, not any other data that they might use for AP or FSD...

How does Autopilot rationalize it when the Google navigation maps differ from it's OSM maps?

I've lived in my current house for 30 years and only recently did I finally memorize what my exit number was on the Masspike. And that was only because my car would show me the exit number on the screen (via the nav) as I was approaching the exit. With the car's nav, I almost never pay attention to exit numbers as "exit in 2 miles" is far more useful.

From what I have experienced, the navigation route data isn't lined up with the map data. We recently had a roundabout installed near my house and the maps images show the new roundabout but when navigating, the Tesla directions do not notice that there is a roundabout there and have the same instructions as before it was constructed. I'm interested if there is a way to submit for direction or map corrects like Google and Waze allow.

Reactions: chjch
From what I have experienced, the navigation route data isn't lined up with the map data. We recently had a roundabout installed near my house and the maps images show the new roundabout but when navigating, the Tesla directions do not notice that there is a roundabout there and have the same instructions as before it was constructed. I'm interested if there is a way to submit for direction or map corrects like Google and Waze allow.

I think the reason for having different source for navigation data and display data is that Google does not allow third parties to do offline navigation using their data.

I think the reason for having different source for navigation data and display data is that Google does not allow third parties to do offline navigation using their data.
From what I have read before, it is more about money. Google maps would charge for using their maps and tesla presumably chooses not to pay their price.

From what I have read before, it is more about money. Google maps would charge for using their maps and tesla presumably chooses not to pay their price.

Google are already charging for usage of their Map API which Tesla uses. The use of the API used to be free in the past and many sites like supercharge.info used it, but once Google hiked the prices these sites moved to more affordable alternatives. However at no time did any third-party had access to offline navigation from Google. The Google Maps Platform Terms of Service forbids customers from "pre-fetch, index, store, reshare, or rehost Google Maps Content outside the services".

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and David29
I drove down Rt. 3 from NH to MA yesterday, and found the highway exit signs had all been re-numbered, while the map on my Model 3 still showed the old numbers. My questions:

1. Has anyone got an updated map with the new numbers?
2. Have the signs on I95, I90, and I495 in MA been updated yet?

Thanks!
The signs have been updated and my navigation map still shows the old numbers

As of yesterday, Google Maps was still using the old numbers for I-495, 93, and 95 in Massachusetts. In most cases, MADOT has smaller, yellow signs posted nearby identifying the old exit numbers. I Imagine those signs will stay up for some time and Google will be renumbering their base map exit data soon.