Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone had Tesla renege on a offer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
Re trade ins - Has anyone ever received a firm offer (and a formal trade in valuation from pictures and data via their trade in process) only to find them lowering the offer within the “Good for 30 days or 1000” stated terms of such offer? We have, so I ask the question.

If yes, on what basis can they do this (nothing has changed, re the trade vehicle or data provided as a basis for the original offer). What did you do about it and what was the end result?

Was this a formal trade in offer placed after you ordered a new vehicle, and did you formally accept the offer in your Tesla account?

Have you read through the detailed terms? Seems they’ve got lots of ways to wiggle out if they want.

Edit: I just noticed that doc looks to be for the European region. I can’t find a similar one for the US.
Nothing in these terms justifies a change prior to 30 days and before receipt of the trade, concurrent with delivery. All information the final offer was based on remains true at the time the dropped the price. Hopefully, it was just a system error that can be easily fixed on Monday.

Well, the offer would surely have specified a limit of miles-driven since the estimate was made.
Back in 2017 the Model S trade-in offer we received allowed 500 miles.
We paid attention and did not use the 2014 MS except to drive to Fremont
to pick up the 2017 MS.

A friend, with the same offer text paid no attention and the trade-in offer was
not honored.

Read the fine print.

Well, the offer would surely have specified a limit of miles-driven since the estimate was made.
to pick up the 2017 MS.

not honored.

Read the fine print.
I did (read the fine print). No valid reason for the drop after two weeks. Mileage only increased 135 miles. So, there’s that.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
From what I have seen for Tesla as well as most online channels they rarely offer a “firm offer”. An offer or estimate but rarely a Firm offer which makes sense to me as the seller’s definition of perfect, and mint condition are rather selective opinion. As Tesla doesn’t have a used car lot they are offering this as a service for tax deferral which they pawn off to car auctions based on current market value. I would never expect their value to be the highest or Firm. It’s a service to simplify your transaction. If you want firm or best deal sell it to the outside market. JMO

From what I have seen for Tesla as well as most online channels they rarely offer a “firm offer”. An offer or estimate but rarely a Firm offer which makes sense to me as the seller’s definition of perfect, and mint condition are rather selective opinion. As Tesla doesn’t have a used car lot they are offering this as a service for tax deferral which they pawn off to car auctions based on current market value. I would never expect their value to be the highest or Firm. It’s a service to simplify your transaction. If you want firm or best deal sell it to the outside market. JMO
They state their terms of the offer, as noted above and as provided by another poster. It’s not unreasonable to expect Tesla to live by the terms they created, is it? I think not.

Reactions: outdoors
They state their terms of the offer, as noted above and as provided by another poster. It’s not unreasonable to expect Tesla to live by the terms they created, is it? I think not.
I think at this point, after being in business for so long and after all the horror stories people post here, yes; it is unreasonable to expect Tesla to “do the right thing”.

They will do *anything* to weasel themselves out of a situation that involves them not maximizing profits.

A cursory search of the forum should pull up a number of threads about trade in valuations and pay outs.

I think at this point, after being in business for so long and after all the horror stories people post here, yes; it is unreasonable to expect Tesla to “do the right thing”.

They will do *anything* to weasel themselves out of a situation that involves them not maximizing profits.
No arguemwnt, but in this case, their own language does not give them an out.

to pick up the 2017 MS.

not honored.

Read the fine print.
They waived the mileage piece of my offer.

I'm in Maine, and had to pick up in Paramus, New Jersey. So, they waived the mileage limit on my offer and just went with the 30 days.

Reactions: jebinc
No arguemwnt, but in this case, their own language does not give them an out.
I hear you. I think they would rather be sued/taken to small claims court than work it out with you.

I may be wrong, but over the years I have never personally experienced what I would consider anything reasonable from them. But as soon as something comes across the desk of the legal department they tend to perk up. I think they just bet on most people not making the follow-up effort.