Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone in the uk installed a tow bar on their s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 756256

I now have the Mister Dot Com tow bar from eBay, fitted by GT Towing in Hitchin on my Model S. Works great and means I can now get the bikes properly muddy…
Veey nice. I looked at this as it is very well engineered and I liked the removable hitch design. Unfortunately being based in the US and using imperial rather than metric hitch balls, this was not an option. I went instead with the Torklift Ecohitch which is a more basic design where the hitch is removed by undoing a bolt. Interested in their wiring harness though. Wonder if they will produce a hitch for the 2022 S I have on order?

Attachments

• D1FC93C2-94CE-404C-88D9-F1CFF15F4C95.jpeg
    D1FC93C2-94CE-404C-88D9-F1CFF15F4C95.jpeg
    880.5 KB · Views: 109
Does it have any effect on the parking sensors or Autopilot ?
Autopilot works fine, but the rear parking sensors are no good so reversing is back to using the mirrors.

Additionally, it’s a bit challenging at some chargers as you need to reverse in past the charger. If there’s a barrier, or wall behind the chargers you can’t get in close enough as the cable is too short.

Here’s a picture of us in the Netherlands having successfully found one that works….

47C0EFB5-678E-4043-8509-9F91622881F9.jpeg

Reactions: Dat37863
Autopilot works fine, but the rear parking sensors are no good so reversing is back to using the mirrors.

Additionally, it’s a bit challenging at some chargers as you need to reverse in past the charger. If there’s a barrier, or wall behind the chargers you can’t get in close enough as the cable is too short.

Here’s a picture of us in the Netherlands having successfully found one that works….

View attachment 799477
Thanks for the reply, very useful.

Hi, first post so go easy on me please.

I fitted one of the German ones to my car, it's basically invisible and works great for launching our boat at the boatyard. It doesn't have electrics fitted, I've done it in the past but was reluctant to start chopping into the Tesla looms. I now really want to start using the bike rack on the towbar, especially for a trip I have this summer to Germany.

2 questions for you if I may:

1: Did GT Towing fit electrics for you, I asked them based on your post and they said they didn't do a kit for the Model S?

2: What kind of a kw/h hit are you seeing at decent motorway speeds?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fitted my own towbar, which was not fun! When I put the main new towbar structural 'beam' on I had to move a sensor under the bumper as per the instructions. No idea what the sensor was but it certainly wasn't parking sensors. The sensor now faces back still but is upside down.

Dat37863 do you have electrics fitted, I can't see any. I'm trying to find anyone in England who's done them.​

I fitted my own towbar, which was not fun! When I put the main new towbar structural 'beam' on I had to move a sensor under the bumper as per the instructions. No idea what the sensor was but it certainly wasn't parking sensors. The sensor now faces back still but is upside down.

Dat37863 do you have electrics fitted, I can't see any. I'm trying to find anyone in England who's done them.​

Yes, Watling did the electrics as well. Initially the cable came out from the tailgate, but I got them to reposition the socket onto a bracket by the ball. It does mean the towball is no longer removable though.

Attachments

• 7028998B-C94D-4E04-B6E5-7DCB35968268.jpeg
    7028998B-C94D-4E04-B6E5-7DCB35968268.jpeg
    640.3 KB · Views: 55
Just to add Watling did my electrics install yesterday. Fly lead is hidden in the boot. Perfect job, couldn't recommend them highly enough. Looking forward to the 1800 mile road trip with bike rack next week. Just praying I don't need to remove the bike rack for every charge at a Supercharger!