Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone installed the Blackvue 650 in the new 2016 model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did this install on my 2016 S using the mic tap. It's still done the same way as on previous vehicles. To get the wire through, I used the hook end of a wire coat hanger, fed it between the windshield and the headliner, then pulled the power cord back through. Hope this helps.
Did your microphone grill look like the attached photo?

This is on my new Model S 60D delivered in March 2017. I have tried to pull down the grill as instructed in most how-to articles I found on the internet, but I stopped since it felt to me it wasn't going to come out that way. Did they change the mechanism holding it in place?

I bought a Thinkware 770 and would love it install it soon, but I want to proceed carefully :)

Attachments

• MicGrill-Tesla60D.jpg
    MicGrill-Tesla60D.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 80

This is on my new Model S 60D delivered in March 2017. I have tried to pull down the grill as instructed in most how-to articles I found on the internet, but I stopped since it felt to me it wasn't going to come out that way. Did they change the mechanism holding it in place?

I bought a Thinkware 770 and would love it install it soon, but I want to proceed carefully :)

That's new. My S 60D was delivered in December 2016 and had the old style grill, not the new one in your picture.

That's new. My S 60D was delivered in December 2016 and had the old style grill, not the new one in your picture.

That's not really new but is the grill used in countries outside the US which have microphones for the alarm. In the US, we don't have the microphones and are able to tap into the power behind the grill for the Blackvue.

Reactions: vtvox
That's not really new but is the grill used in countries outside the US which have microphones for the alarm. In the US, we don't have the microphones and are able to tap into the power behind the grill for the Blackvue.
Interesting... but does that mean the European Tesla's won't be able to use the same "trick" to get at 12V? :(

Anyone here that installed a dash cam in a European Model S?

Interesting... but does that mean the European Tesla's won't be able to use the same "trick" to get at 12V? :(

Anyone here that installed a dash cam in a European Model S?
UPDATE: so I dared to pull just a little harder, and the grill popped out just like the US version :) Phew...

But I don't see any spare connectors, everything is connected up...

Attachments

• MicGrill-Tesla60D_2.jpg
    MicGrill-Tesla60D_2.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 50
UPDATE: so I dared to pull just a little harder, and the grill popped out just like the US version :) Phew...

But I don't see any spare connectors, everything is connected up...
You may be able to do a Y connection and share the supply. DO make sure whatever is connected there (alarm, siren?) together with the BV won't blow your fuse (check manual for Amp rating), or next time your alarm goes off, BV and alarm will shut off.