Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone installed Unplugged Performance's refresh front fascia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wigalo
Seriously considering biting the bullet and ordering the front fascia from Unplugged tomorrow...would love to hear your experience and thoughts of the finished product-pics would be even better...how hard was the install and approximate cost to paint and install.......thanks a bunch for you guidance and advice.....

wigalo
Seriously considering biting the bullet and ordering the front fascia from Unplugged tomorrow...would love to hear your experience and thoughts of the finished product-pics would be even better...how hard was the install and approximate cost to paint and install.......thanks a bunch for you guidance and advice.....

I'm thinking of ordering it as well. Looking forward to the pics wigalo. I spoke with the Unplugged guys and they said install is pretty straight forward, takes a few hours.

Just as a follow-up, spoke with Unplugged today-they have done over 100 cars. They estimate it's about $5000 all in with $3000 for the part, approximately $150-$300 for shipping and about $1200 for paint and installation. Installation with a body shop familiar with Tesla should be about 2 to 3 hours. They can ship almost immediately unless you have autopilot or front parking sensors for which it would be a few days processing. A Tesla authorized body shop would most likely be significantly more expensive. If you call them, they have a list of recommended installers throughout the country. They have a bunch of pictures they can also send you. Still thinking about it before I pull the trigger. Way cheaper than getting a new car........

The only reason I'm on the fence is that it might be $5k all in for a refresh front end which isn't too bad. But then you would need to paint the side rockers and rear diffuser to have it flow better since on the refresh fascia, there is no black plastic lip and like the newer models, everything is color matched which used to be black plastic.

So $3300 = front end cost including tax
$800-1k for paint
$500ish for install
$1k for side rocker paint for both sides
$500 for rear diffuser paint
Now I'm looking at ~ $6300 for everything

I am thinking about applying 5d glossy Carbon fiber wrap to the bottom sides of the front fascia refresh, side rockers, and rear diffuser to match my glossy rear spoiler on my P85-the new wraps look real, have a 5 year warranty, and are a DIY job- $40 Ebay -Labor 3 hours....just a thought

If you wrab on unprimed/unfinished plastic it most likely is going to fail. Bare plastic has low surface energy and vin is not going to hold.

Also beware of cheep eBay vinyl

20170519_090301.jpg
20170519_090548.jpg
Update:
The car is still in the shop. I stopped in on Friday because I needed to get my golf shoes. I mentioned the estimate of 3-4 hours and they laughed.

Apparently there are no instructions and none of the holes for sensors and lights are pre drilled. While ok for someone who has done an install or two, there is some 'figure out' time the first time through.

I absolutely hate the nosecone, so excited to get it back. Side skirts will be installed as well.

As an aside, had anyone seen the Saleen nose, it looks amazing, but I spotted it close to delivery of the refresh, so didn't research it's availability.

Attachments

• Saleen.jpg
    Saleen.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
View attachment 228101 View attachment 228103 Update:
The car is still in the shop. I stopped in on Friday because I needed to get my golf shoes. I mentioned the estimate of 3-4 hours and they laughed.

Apparently there are no instructions and none of the holes for sensors and lights are pre drilled. While ok for someone who has done an install or two, there is some 'figure out' time the first time through.

I absolutely hate the nosecone, so excited to get it back. Side skirts will be installed as well.

As an aside, had anyone seen the Saleen nose, it looks amazing, but I spotted it close to delivery of the refresh, so didn't research it's availability.

Hi Wigalo!

We apologize for the missing installation manual; we have a very comprehensive packing / prep procedure for the Fascias, including a QC check sheet, which is to ensure nothing is forgotten. However, it seems that in this case, the instructions were possibly misplaced, for which we are extremely sorry for any confusion it may have caused you or the facility you spoke with regarding installation. We will be following up to this post with a PM to ensure we can coordinate a replacement installation manual to be sent out to you ASAP.

With regards to the mounting holes not being pre-drilled, this is intentional, as in our extensive experience working on Tesla vehicles, we have noticed quite a variance in fit and finish, and as such, we feel it's prudent to have the lamps and louver modules fit to each car at the time of installation (this process is outlined in the installation documents which you will be receiving).

As for installation of the bumper, we generally provide a rough quote about 1-2 hours simply for the installation process (this obviously does not including any necessary prep and paintwork). Gene from Teslarati recently stopped by our shop to see the installation for himself. He was impressed by how quickly the bumper was installed and I would say any competent body shop should be able to install the bumper in a similar time frame. Please feel free to read the article in the link below:

Behind the scenes at Unplugged Performance, a Tesla tuner challenging the status quo

Reactions: DC Autocraft
Update:
My car still isn't done. They were looking to spray everything yesterday...so maybe Tuesday or Wednesday?

I chalk this up to the shop not really putting the appropriate time in to get it completed as opposed to any issues with the Unplugged parts.

Extremely disappointing since my office refers this shop anywhere between 75-100k worth of business every year.

Oh well, they do fantastic work so I know it will look phenomenal, but the 4 week wait has been painful...especially in light of the loaner car I've been driving.

Photos and impressions to follow...soon I hope.

Update:
My car still isn't done. They were looking to spray everything yesterday...so maybe Tuesday or Wednesday?

I chalk this up to the shop not really putting the appropriate time in to get it completed as opposed to any issues with the Unplugged parts.

Extremely disappointing since my office refers this shop anywhere between 75-100k worth of business every year.

Oh well, they do fantastic work so I know it will look phenomenal, but the 4 week wait has been painful...especially in light of the loaner car I've been driving.

Photos and impressions to follow...soon I hope.

Any updates?

Thanks for posting! We are working to coordinate with you and your installer to resolve any potential issues. The good news is that we have had reports of easy and successful installation from around the world on many dozens of our Refreshes. Because every Refresh comes out of the same mold, we've experienced consistent well fitting and we are confident that any variability coming from installation can be overcome. We are happy to get on the phone or on a FaceTime with the installer to walk them through it and we've had a positive experience assisting many first-time installers.