Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone moved a Tesla Model 3 to Canada? Is it possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I might move to Canada from California, and I am wondering if I can move along with my Model 3. I know there are some paperwork at the border, but I was wondering if anyone had done that and what are the issues on Tesla side, will Supercharger work in Canada? Wireless Updates? Wireless Connections? Musics?

Will be checking with Tesla today at the dealership and also phone call to see their inputs on this.

Thanks
-Daniel

Did not believe it so I checked the RIV website. Sure enough...only Roadster qualifies.
RIV is a revenue generating fraud of the federal government.

However the website only lists X & S are not eligible for import. Call the RIV folks Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Welcome to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles and see if Model 3 is different.

I imported a Miata years ago into Canada and had to replace the front bumper from a 3 mph USA spec bumper to a 5 mph CDN spec bumper. Turns out the foam inner bumper was EXACTLY the same part # for both. Waste of time and money. but thats government.

Note-2: Tesla Motors has informed Transport Canada that Tesla service centers are currently not in a position to support the substantial modifications required to bring U.S. Model S and Model X vehicles into compliance with Canadian requirements. Contact the manufacturer for further details.

It's not the government's choice. The car manufacturers tell the RIV whether brands/models can be imported. While Tesla's BS about the difficulty of conversion is just that, it really doesn't matter and I don't know why they lie about it. If they don't instruct RIV to add it to the list it is not importable. Other manufacturers have also prohibited imports, usually to protect Canadian dealers. Even though the manufacturer is the "dealer" in this case, I suspect the motivation is the same.

Oh, and by the way, we drove a U.S. Model S in Canada for seven years. There is absolutely nothing that is different in any systems -- connectivity, navigation, etc. -- and you would not know which country you were driving in from any behavior (in Canada --"behaviour" ) of the car.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
It's not the government's choice. The car manufacturers tell the RIV whether brands/models can be imported. While Tesla's BS about the difficulty of conversion is just that, it really doesn't matter and I don't know why they lie about it. If they don't instruct RIV to add it to the list it is not importable. Other manufacturers have also prohibited imports, usually to protect Canadian dealers. Even though the manufacturer is the "dealer" in this case, I suspect the motivation is the same.

Oh, and by the way, we drove a U.S. Model S in Canada for seven years. There is absolutely nothing that is different in any systems -- connectivity, navigation, etc. -- and you would not know which country you were driving in from any behavior (in Canada --"behaviour" ) of the car.

So technically we are good to go, but is it legal? I mean, what about Registration and Pink Slip in case I want to sell?

That's nice that everything works... even updates? I am planning possibly moving to Vancouver so it's a 45min jump to Seattle if that's the case... just not sure about registration and pink slip in case I would sell (which I believe will be slim)

I searched this forum for the word “Canada” and this issue was discussed less than two weeks ago at
All Teslas inadmissible for import into Canada?

The answer to your question is “no”. Unfortunately.

Correction! There is NO definitive answer on the 3. We only know that Roadster is ok but X and S are not. The jury is still formally out for 3 because it is not formally classified by Canada based on what is posted on the gov't websites.

FYI: Don’t freak when you cross the border & your car’s datalink goes dead. It’ll be back in 30 min or so. I assume once it figures out it needs to roam?

Do plan ahead with your post-border Nav point set before you cross. Otherwise you’ll be back in the 20th century pulling over asking people for directions.

Ask me how I know. :p

FYI: Don’t freak when you cross the border & your car’s datalink goes dead. It’ll be back in 30 min or so. I assume once it figures out it needs to roam?

Do plan ahead with your post-border Nav point set before you cross. Otherwise you’ll be back in the 20th century pulling over asking people for directions.

Ask me how I know. :p

I’ve crossed back and forth many times in my 3, and never lost data or nav even for a moment. ?
Also, as others have said, the car works exactly the same in both countries.

Correction! There is NO definitive answer on the 3. We only know that Roadster is ok but X and S are not. The jury is still formally out for 3 because it is not formally classified by Canada based on what is posted on the gov't websites.
The issue with importing the S/X is that Tesla will not make the required modifications on them. If Tesla won’t do it for the S/X, claiming that their Canadian service centers are too busy, I cannot imagine that Tesla will do it for the 3 since there will be many more 3s to deal with.

The issue with importing the S/X is that Tesla will not make the required modifications on them. If Tesla won’t do it for the S/X, claiming that their Canadian service centers are too busy, I cannot imagine that Tesla will do it for the 3 since there will be many more 3s to deal with.
So, you are offering conjecture? S/X would require hardware change whereas it is possible that all the changes on the 3 would be software? The truth is we do not know at this time!

Maybe in your area, not everywhere when crossing the border.

So is that a coverage issue from the provider, or a country to country issue.?
I think the concern from the op was will an American car, work in Canada.
The answer is yes. If it doesn’t, it’s because there’s no coverage in that area, not because of a country to country thing.

Reactions: mrElbe
As stated earlier, if the car and model is not specifically listed as admissible by the RIV, then it is not admissible for import at the border.
The RIV gets it's marching papers from the manufacturers. In the case of Tesla it would involve permanent Daylight Running Lights and key immobilizer as a start. Whether that is only software is debatable. Also manufacturers are reluctant to give the OK due to warranty funds allocation in each jurisdiction. So even if you could bring it across the border, no warranty service.
Now Toyota and Honda are enlightened about this and there is no problem importing most of their vehicles. Mercedes Benz, BMW, and Porsche finally let them come into Canada a few years ago but try to charge for expensive recall completion reports.

Driving the car under visitor status with US registration and insurance is a risky proposition if you are permanently living in Canada.