Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone paid the 7k FSD upgrade post delivery?

Has anyone paid the 7k FSD upgrade post delivery?

• Yes

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • No

Votes: 25 65.8%
  • I would if I had the cash

Votes: 4 10.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On another note, does anyone know if you purchase FSD through the app, how does it get enabled? Is it a software download? Large download? How long does it take to get enabled?

If all the hardware is already there, I bet the software code is also already present and Tesla just needs to toggle a setting for your VIN and a quick reboot and you're good to go. They just need to enter a '1' or "true" to your FSD setting in a database table is my expectation (coming from a software engineer). Just like when you pay to "unlock range" on a 60D and turn it into a 75D -- toggle a setting, like flipping Airplane Mode on your phone, and instant benefits.

Please share! Why did you feel it was worth it?
We have a two hour ride times two (mostly highway) almost every weekend - Boston to Vermont. So FSD Is really nice to have. Use the auto park quite frequently (it’s amazing how quickly you go from “this is stupid, I’llNever use it “ to “this is awesome, I couldn’t live without it”. Smart Simon is a fun party trick at this point - hopefully will becomes more efficient in future updates.

Install was quick - ordered on my phone was installed within 24hrs.

Reactions: mbhforum
i'm sad that the current non FSD doesn't include summon. my mobility took another hit this past spring and is more limited than before and the parking spaces in my garage at work are SUPER cramped. I often use summon on my AP1 car to pull the car out of the spot to give me enough space to open the driver's side door wide enough to enter and the rear door on the driver's side to put my backpack, and occasionally my cane.

I hope to wait for the Model S update before "trading up," but $7,000 for FSD will be a bitter pill for sure.

Just funny how we have this "is FSD worth 7K?" thread and another thread asking "is FSD refundable?".

haha. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I definitely don’t think it’s worth 7k today but you are basically investing into the future and hoping you get at least city driving with AP. It gives you something to look forward to while burning a hole in your pocket.

haha. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I definitely don’t think it’s worth 7k today but you are basically investing into the future and hoping you get at least city driving with AP. It gives you something to look forward to while burning a hole in your pocket.

Let me ask you this, @mbhforum ...on your new Standard Range S, would you rather pay $7K for FSD or $7K for more range (although I don't think a Long Range is only $7K more). Let's say you could pay $7K for some increase in range and faster charging. Which would you go for? My thought is the extra range would be immediately more useful...but not if we charge daily at home, right?

Let me ask you this, mbhforum...on your new Standard Range S, would you rather pay $7K for FSD or $7K for more range (although I don't think a Long Range is only $7K more). Let's say you could pay $7K for some increase in range and faster charging. Which would you go for? My thought is the extra range would be immediately more useful...but not if we charge daily at home, right?

To me, FSD is a better value. If I wanted to spend an extra 7k, I would have bought the Long Range instead of snagging the inventory Standard Range. I had an 85kw before and never had a range issue but used Summons and AP with lane changing every day. This will vary based on each person.

To me, FSD is a better value. If I wanted to spend an extra 7k, I would have bought the Long Range instead of snagging the inventory Standard Range. I had an 85kw before and never had a range issue but used Summons and AP with lane changing every day. This will vary based on each person.

That is reassuring and helps me feel better. I sometimes regret not getting the Long Range. It wasn't until later that I learned of the faster charging and then realizing if I plan to keep the car 10 years then maybe the extra range would be better, if only to have more usable range after 10 years of battery degradation.

This being our first Tesla/EV, in August 2019, the only Long Range equivalent was almost $17K more once you factor in taxes. If it was only $7k difference then I totally would have taken the Long Range. Plus, spread over 10 years (and recouping some of that if I sold the car) sometimes makes me think the Long Range would have been a better buy, even at $17k more. But oh well, hard to say if I truly will hold a car that long considering how quickly tech changes. Still very happy with our Standard Range and perhaps I will appreciate FSD later. You are also correct about another point, we haven't been limited by the 285-mile range. If necessary, I now know how to drive it to get over 300 miles of range.

Last edited:
That is reassuring and helps me feel better. I sometimes regret not getting the Long Range. It wasn't until later that I learned of the faster charging and then realizing if I plan to keep the car 10 years then maybe the extra range would be better, if only to have more usable range after 10 years of battery degradation.

This being our first Tesla/EV, in August 2019, the only Long Range equivalent was almost $17K more once you factor in taxes. If it was only $7k difference then I totally would have taken the Long Range. Plus, spread over 10 years (and recouping some of that if I sold the car) sometimes makes me think the Long Range would have been a better buy, even at $17k more. But oh well, hard to say if I truly will hold a car that long considering how quickly tech changes. Still very happy with our Standard Range and perhaps I will appreciate FSD later. You are also correct about another point, we haven't been limited by the 285-mile range. If necessary, I now know how to drive it to get over 300 miles of range.

I know what buyer’s remorse feels like. In 2017, I elected to buy a used 2015 CPO 85D instead of a a new at the time 2017 75D to save 10k. Within months I regretted my purchase as I hated the nosecone and after a year I hated the fact I didn’t have AP2. However, these vehicles are computers and you will always be upset at the newer stuff coming out. I vowed next time to get the latest and greatest but this past weekend I did something similar and got an inventory SR instead of an inventory LR. However, the battery is the ONLY difference and after driving for 3 years I realized how little that mattered to me. I was comfortable with this decision and it made me feel good that I got a discount on the car. I’m never going to keep a car 10 years as I get antsy for new technology. I only kept my first Tesla 3 years! As my wife said, I should have leased :). I like to do modifications to my car though.

A 17k difference is huge. I wouldn’t spend that on 90 more miles range unless I was doing weekly road trips.

I would love another “sale”, but with Tesla doing well these days, I don’t know if that’s happening. I know last time they dropped the price on FSD, there was a revolt and I believe Tesla apologized and said they wouldn’t do that again?
Nobody knows whether or not a sale will happen. I wasn't predicting it would or would not, just saying that old timers have little influence over whether it does or does not happen.

I’ll admit it’s a gamble. Although I will say for Tesla to be VERY specific on their site what is coming “later this year” compared to obscure videos and general descriptions provides some hope I suppose.
You do realize that with Tesla it's always "coming later this year", and with Elon it's always "3 months maybe, 6 months for sure"? If you don't believe me, check out the internet archive to see what Tesla site said was coming "later this year" in 2019, surprised? Look further back to 2016, see what was supposed to come by end of 2016 (spoiler, NOTHING whatsoever came by end of 2016, not even automatic wipers or automatic headlights). Lotteries have some good advertisements too, and you can make very specific plans what you will do all the grand prize too.

You do realize that with Tesla it's always "coming later this year", and with Elon it's always "3 months maybe, 6 months for sure"? If you don't believe me, check out the internet archive to see what Tesla site said was coming "later this year" in 2019, surprised? Look further back to 2016, see what was supposed to come by end of 2016 (spoiler, NOTHING whatsoever came by end of 2016, not even automatic wipers or automatic headlights). Lotteries have some good advertisements too, and you can make very specific plans what you will do all the grand prize too.

Yes, I totally realize. Although I do think something on their official website is a lot more concrete than a tweet. Wouldn't you agree to that? That being said, I've been following Tesla and these forums for the last 3 plus years and I am on my second Tesla, so I definitely know what I am getting myself into. If I pluck down 7k on FSD, it is for Basic Summons, NoA, Automatic Lane Changing and a "hope" of improvements.

Yes, I totally realize. Although I do think something on their official website is a lot more concrete than a tweet. Wouldn't you agree to that? That being said, I've been following Tesla and these forums for the last 3 plus years and I am on my second Tesla, so I definitely know what I am getting myself into. If I pluck down 7k on FSD, it is for Basic Summons, NoA, Automatic Lane Changing and a "hope" of improvements.
If there is one thing I learned about buying Teslas, is to never count on ANY vaporware. Pay for what is available on delivery day, treat everything that comes later as a bonus, hope nothing you care about stops working with the updates.

A 17k difference is huge. I wouldn’t spend that on 90 more miles range unless I was doing weekly road trips.

Thanks for talking sense into me, @mbhforum. I do feel fortunate we even have a Tesla.

Besides the 90 miles, there's faster charging, and less time spent Supercharging, and I definitely value my time. Seventeen, or even 10k, is a lot to trade for that time savings though, especially if we're not taking long road trips frequently. Thanks again, I think we made the right decision for our family and have enjoyed more vacations and memories together with the money saved.

A 2006 Tundra that I bought new, my first vehicle purchase by myself, is still running and in the family but I'm not the primary driver of it anymore. Besides that 14-year-old truck, I am surprised I haven't held onto better vehicles. I kept a minivan over four years yet got tired of a Lexus LS 430, with superb ride quality, after 11-months. Then I only kept an LS 460 (reclining rear seats, massage, heated and cooled seats, power sunshades, cooler box, air suspension, etc.) a little over two years before jumping to the Model S. Both Lexus were phenomenal ICE cars and I loved them both. My own behavior still confuse me, to have loved and left both great cars. I then realized that I've always wanted the Model S but couldn't afford it in 2016 so I sort of settled for very nice ICE cars.

Reactions: mbhforum
$2k for FSD to me, seems like it was a GREAT deal at that time. I also would have paid $2k at that time for it. Heck, to be honest? If there is a sale later this year and it drops to $2k? Still knowing its a hope and a dream? I'd be tempted to pay the $2k. (But definitely not a penny more).

I have a June 2017 MS 100D (EAP HW 2.0). I purchased the FSD when they had that $2k sale last year. My logic was that, even if I didn't get any new features, I wanted that upgraded computer. I hoped, potentially, it would give me a safer car.

Reactions: whitex