Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone realized how profoundly FSD will disrupt Real Estate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And what are the minimum speed requirements.

I remember one day realizing how slow FSD was driving and decided to speed up. That's when I realized that it was only following a much slower driver ahead.

Remember I doubt if you will ever be a teenage driver in the future, but I know that if you live long enough, you WILL be a geriatric driver.
I'd say the mins vary by state, similar to the maxes.
For example, here in KY, we have roads with a 55mph max speed limit, and a 40mph min speed limit. The highways have a 70mph max and a 55mph min. These would strictly be for roads without left-hand exits, of course.
Not sure about roads with both turn options. Probably not an enforceable min speed.
But on highways, going too slow is just as dangerous as too fast.
Eventually, 2 vehicles on opposite sides of the min/max are going to meet.

For example, here in KY, we have roads with a 55mph max speed limit, and a 40mph min speed limit. The highways have a 70mph max and a 55mph min. These would strictly be for roads without left-hand exits, of course.
Not sure about roads with both turn options. Probably not an enforceable min speed.
and that is what Tesla FSD is relying upon...other vehicles. As long as the other vehicles are going over the minimum speed, there is no reason for FSD to drive below it

To the OP premise…people have been living with no fixed address for many years using yachts and RVs. Nothing new with that concept. Full time sailors and RV travelers enjoy today the benefits of no fixed address.

The premise of an EV RV being autonomously in continual motion is interesting to ponder as a thought experiment, but the continual motion is not necessary to live cheaply without a mortgage or property taxes. No new technology advancement is necessary to support such a lifestyle.

However I am intrigued by the possibility of having the confidence in the technology to allow my car to autonomously drive to a distant destination while I sleep. This would revolutionize travel and the supporting industries. I imagine setting a destination for my car and arriving fully rested in time for breakfast. I hope this technology arrives in time for me to enjoy it.

I could easily see this leading to vehicle designs that focus on sleeping comfort.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I imagine setting a destination for my car and arriving fully rested in time for breakfast.
I have done many a train commute like that from one metro to another for special meetings. Get on the train after dinner. Go to sleep. Have breakfast on the train, get off and get to the meeting, and then redo that travel back home. So much better than taking an early morning flight.

Reactions: BSparx
Western NY state :)

Here's some context. I play video games a lot, and I've played a lot of car video games. My interventions were not baseless panics. I was waiting until the last moment before something went south--I gave it as much rope as I could within reason. If its approach to driving is to trick drivers into thinking it's going to crash when it's not this is not a reasonable system. So, is it possible if I had waited an extra 100 ms the car would have behaved properly? Maybe. I'll never know. I don't think so.

Has anybody driven it for 100 miles through a city without an intervention? Because I just saw a review on youtube of a guy who had 7 interventions on 12.4.1 in his car trip (trip looked to be an hour or so), in california and he's a big fan of AI driving (it's even his license plate).

Yes, people have done it! Those don't make great YouTubes, which is why you don't see them. They are periodically posted in this and other forums.

It is often really easy to prove. You just roll the speed down and do it slower, increasing speed while repeating, until you can trust it.
I'm not saying that it doesn't have any quirks, the jerky steering wheel is one that freaks a lot of people out, but it fixes itself.

"Last moment" is subjective. Your 0.1 second, if my math serves me correctly at 20mph is 3 ft. Something tells me that you didn't wait until 3 ft of incident. And more importantly, could correct to avoid the incident in 3 ft.

There are a lot of people successful with FSD. Want to come up with other reasons why you are so bad with it?

It takes time for the driver to learn and trust it.

It's people's lack of knowledge and experience that gets in the way.

The new speed control is NEW. It was only recently added to FSD. It can be turned off.
It still has a little more tuning to go through.
It's NOT FSD.

And most importantly, I'm sure that Tesla would say that if speed is what you are complaining about, then FSD is a resounding success!

There are a lot of people successful with FSD. Want to come up with other reasons why you are so bad with it?

It takes time for the driver to learn and trust it.
I think you're not arguing in good faith, and I'm quite good at detecting attempts to gaslight.

The drivers in my household independently came to the same conclusions after using it a few times--neat tech demo, but ultimately not yet fit for purpose.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
I think you're not arguing in good faith, and I'm quite good at detecting attempts to gaslight.

The drivers in my household independently came to the same conclusions after using it a few times--neat tech demo, but ultimately not yet fit for purpose.
You’re arguing with Tesla Fan Boys. You’ll never win.

IMG_3345.jpeg

Reactions: EatsShoots

What?
I drive with FSD just about all the time. We'll probably get out for lunch in a few minutes and after we get out of the driveway, set out destination and let FSD take over until it brings us into the parking lot.5-15 miles away, depending on where we decide to eat.

I *know* how well it can work. I know how lousy it was 4 years ago. I know the difference between the versions. I know that between the two cars that we have with FSD, that we've probably got well north of 70,000 miles on different versions of FSD.

I know that I often have to show my wife that the car can do it. My reaction times are faster than hers. But once she sees me let the car do it a few times, she'll let the car do it and start to trust it.

If I don't feel comfortable with something that car does, I'll try it multiple times and slow the speed down to get an understanding and trust of what the car is going to do. I've done this hundreds of times.
We had one curve near I old hose that we'd drive almost daily. When FSD started, it would get to one point and balk, no matter what. then it got to the point where it could do it at a slower speed, and then a few versions later, faster speeds, and eventually added the intelligence to slow down when it didn't feel get and not it's not even a second thought.

A few weeks ago, we went over a 3,000 ft mountain with barely wide enough for 2 car roads and a 90 or 180 curve every 100ft. The car did great, even when it came up to a bicyclist, for which it set back and was waiting for a safe place to pass. I'll admit, that I overrode it and was significantly less safe than it was, to pass the bike, but then it continued on.

Let those drivers in your household ride with me a few times. I'll get them significantly more comfortable with FSD. Most of my passengers rarely know that I'm not actually driving!

If you are ever in Dallas area, let me know. I will gladly take you out for a long drive across the DFW metropolitan area that includes city roads and tollways. You can make your decision then.

Believe the ultimate benefits of FSD will happen when most all the cars can not only react to their video systems, but also communicate with other FSD vehicles and drive on roadways redesigned to take advantage and support all those systems. Will be like Autopia at Disneyland.

Some will still wish to maintain the fun aspect of driving their own cars, under their own direction and control. FSD will deal with these people as Rogues.

What?
I drive with FSD just about all the time. We'll probably get out for lunch in a few minutes and after we get out of the driveway, set out destination and let FSD take over until it brings us into the parking lot.5-15 miles away, depending on where we decide to eat.

I *know* how well it can work. I know how lousy it was 4 years ago. I know the difference between the versions. I know that between the two cars that we have with FSD, that we've probably got well north of 70,000 miles on different versions of FSD.

I know that I often have to show my wife that the car can do it. My reaction times are faster than hers. But once she sees me let the car do it a few times, she'll let the car do it and start to trust it.

If I don't feel comfortable with something that car does, I'll try it multiple times and slow the speed down to get an understanding and trust of what the car is going to do. I've done this hundreds of times.
We had one curve near I old hose that we'd drive almost daily. When FSD started, it would get to one point and balk, no matter what. then it got to the point where it could do it at a slower speed, and then a few versions later, faster speeds, and eventually added the intelligence to slow down when it didn't feel get and not it's not even a second thought.

A few weeks ago, we went over a 3,000 ft mountain with barely wide enough for 2 car roads and a 90 or 180 curve every 100ft. The car did great, even when it came up to a bicyclist, for which it set back and was waiting for a safe place to pass. I'll admit, that I overrode it and was significantly less safe than it was, to pass the bike, but then it continued on.

Let those drivers in your household ride with me a few times. I'll get them significantly more comfortable with FSD. Most of my passengers rarely know that I'm not actually driving!
The thing is you're having to constantly pay attention to it, because you undoubtedly have to intervene on occasion (of that I'm unequivocally positive).

It's able to do the bulk of miles itself, but even when it does it doesn't do them the way I want them done. Sometimes it accelerates too quickly, sometimes too slowly. It doesn't use the right speed--I have a 35 by my house at which all people drive 45+, but in other 35 mph zones driving that fast is inappropriate. It's not slick weaving in and out of traffic when it needs to be. I remember one of our last drives my daughter and I were in a hurry and she was relieved I was turning it off because it just isn't there. Sometimes it's not confident enough and other times it's too confident.

I'm sure I could use it for most of my driving and look over its shoulder like a driving instructor, but I don't want to do that, and that's exactly what it requires.

I'm a believer in the promise of autonomous driving. I'd love to be able to go to sleep with the seat reclined and wake up six hours later at a destination. Hopefully in our life we get to that point.

The thing is you're having to constantly pay attention to it, because you undoubtedly have to intervene on occasion (of that I'm unequivocally positive).
With 12.3.6, after driving all over the only time I really need to pay attention are 2 cases:
1. Construction zones
2. School Zones

Other than these two, I let it drive. Sometimes I feel I can do better but then I also feel the same when someone else is in the drivers seat such as when I am in an Uber. So that is not really a concern.

What?

If you are ever in North Central Kentucky I would take you up on your offer. I will buy Lunch.

Reactions: enemji
Guys please try my repeatable edge case with 12.3.6
getting ready to test with 12.4.2:

Crossing a Miss aligned and unlined intersection
Be in the left lane going straight as the lead vehicle

See if you can get through successfully

My best case is a disengage and make sure the vehicle is able to get over to the correct lane dealing with the miss alignment

Worst case, worst aligned intersection, the vehicle gets so confused it stops in the intersection

Hope 12.4.2 fixes this