Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone repaired cooling louvers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What “manual” are you referring to above? I need to repair or replace both side active louver assemblies on my ‘14 Model S.
That was an old link before Tesla issued a takedown notice to them. You can still access it via the way back machine.

But the official Tesla manual is free so just go to service.tesla.com and "buy" a 1 year subscription to it for $0. And you can see all the directions for the louvers replacement there easily

etty easy and only too

You actually do not need any manual for the removing or repairing, this guide on post #27 has all required action listed. The louvers are attached to the front bumper and as soon it’s off you have clear access to.
Just a question as I also have the not working louvers problem, is just enough to replace/repair them? As I had done a battery replacement by 3rd party shop, they also diagnosed the vehicle for me and noticed me about a faulty louvers. Is it also needed to be erased via diag or after successful selftest while first charging it should be erased automatically? Thanks a lot for any input!

Well, it depends. Tesla have specific Thermal check operation that they usually perform in this case. So if the third party was able to perform this as well and that failed then you need a new set of louvers. This test can specify which of the louvers are defective. If the test was positive, then the small motors on the louvers does work. Certainly in your case fins are not closing/opening as you are reporting your issue. I presume as soon as the new side louvers are connected, they will start to work. This Thermal check is the usual diagnostic fee on Tesla service, so there should not be any reprogramm performed.
These central louvers (one part in the centre with two louvers on each side is much harder to reach) are not that prone to fail but can be, as you have read in previous posts.

Well, it depends. Tesla have specific Thermal check operation that they usually perform in this case. So if the third party was able to perform this as well and that failed then you need a new set of louvers. This test can specify which of the louvers are defective. If the test was positive, then the small motors on the louvers does work. Certainly in your case fins are not closing/opening as you are reporting your issue. I presume as soon as the new side louvers are connected, they will start to work. This Thermal check is the usual diagnostic fee on Tesla service, so there should not be any reprogramm performed.
These central louvers (one part in the centre with two louvers on each side is much harder to reach) are not that prone to fail but can be, as you have read in previous posts.
Thanks for the fast response! So far as I understood, this 3rd party shop didn't perform any kind of such thermal test. I think they just read the diag faults list and found this error (if it is possible like that?). And it makes a sense as I can always hear very loud sound coming from the front two fans while supercharging with power above approx 80kW or cooling the car in hot weather. And in fact, I have never seen the side ones next to fog lights open, they're still closed. Regarding the central louvers, I'm not sure as it can't be probably easily inspected from the outside..?
As this shop just replaced the battery for me and is far away from me, I have found another one very experienced with service of Teslas just near by. They told me the louvers for sure needs to be inspected and it will take 2 days of labor and asking approx $200 just for doing this. So far as I know, just the front fascia removal should take approx 1,5h. But as they're gonna inspect also these central louvers, it might be the reason.
I'm just wondering, whether I can do it myself or better to give it them as they're experienced...

The thing is, I have many times on forums seen broken axis going from motor and moving the fins. I'm wondering, whether it might generate such faults into diag if this happened and motors itself are moving due to obvious a lot of dirt....Need to check whether those motors make some sound while plugging it..

Last edited:
Thanks for the fast response! So far as I understood, this 3rd party shop didn't perform any kind of such thermal test. I think they just read the diag faults list and found this error (if it is possible like that?). And it makes a sense as I can always hear very loud sound coming from the front two fans while supercharging with power above approx 80kW or cooling the car in hot weather. And in fact, I have never seen the side ones next to fog lights open, they're still closed. Regarding the central louvers, I'm not sure as it can't be probably easily inspected from the outside..?
As this shop just replaced the battery for me and is far away from me, I have found another one very experienced with service of Teslas just near by. They told me the louvers for sure needs to be inspected and it will take 2 days of labor and asking approx $200 just for doing this. So far as I know, just the front fascia removal should take approx 1,5h. But as they're gonna inspect also these central louvers, it might be the reason.
I'm just wondering, whether I can do it myself or better to give it them as they're experienced...

The thing is, I have many times on forums seen broken axis going from motor and moving the fins. I'm wondering, whether it might generate such faults into diag if this happened and motors itself are moving due to obvious a lot of dirt....Need to check whether those motors make some sound while plugging it..
The front bumper thakes about 10-15 min to remove. The most time spent is getting the radiator taken off to access the middle louvers.

To test the side ones immediately after plugging in to charge from any charger the house or a SC it doesn't matter the louvers do a self test where they open and close just check that out. The only way to check the middle one is to get some tissue paper and dangle it in front while SC after the battery has gotten hot and needs cooling when the cabin AC is off and the fans kick into high. Dangle the paper in front of the middle left and right and see if it's pulled towards the car.

I had Tesla just do a diag on the thermal system before replacing my louvers and it was all 3 we're bad. So I bought them and replaced in my driveway at home. There is no errors or anything to clear and they just worked immediately after installation.

The front bumper thakes about 10-15 min to remove. The most time spent is getting the radiator taken off to access the middle louvers.

To test the side ones immediately after plugging in to charge from any charger the house or a SC it doesn't matter the louvers do a self test where they open and close just check that out. The only way to check the middle one is to get some tissue paper and dangle it in front while SC after the battery has gotten hot and needs cooling when the cabin AC is off and the fans kick into high. Dangle the paper in front of the middle left and right and see if it's pulled towards the car.

I had Tesla just do a diag on the thermal system before replacing my louvers and it was all 3 we're bad. So I bought them and replaced in my driveway at home. There is no errors or anything to clear and they just worked immediately after installation.
Ok, thanks a lot for such valuable info. So if I understood it correctly, it should be enough to let the louvers tested and then if needed to replace them... or replace all of them as they are 7yrs old and have almost 230kkm driven...

Ok, thanks a lot for such valuable info. So if I understood it correctly, it should be enough to let the louvers tested and then if needed to replace them... or replace all of them as they are 7yrs old and have almost 230kkm driven...
it was only like $100 for the diagnostic since i was having thermal issues i wanted to make sure it was the louver and not the controller. they diag it and said it was the louvers so that's why i bought them.

I had about 120k miles (about 200k km) at the time mine failed. I live in the desert so a lot of sand and crap prob got in there and caused them to bind up and break. One of the middle ones the motor still spun but the louver itself was snapped off.

it was only like $100 for the diagnostic since i was having thermal issues i wanted to make sure it was the louver and not the controller. they diag it and said it was the louvers so that's why i bought them.

I had about 120k miles (about 200k km) at the time mine failed. I live in the desert so a lot of sand and crap prob got in there and caused them to bind up and break. One of the middle ones the motor still spun but the louver itself was snapped off.
Yeah, got it...Will discuss it with the shop and will see what we're gonna figure out...It's true that also the HVAC controller might be faulty ..

It might be as simple as wrong assembling after someone have repainted the front bumper. This was the reason that mine were broken. If you assemble the bumper back on and you are not paying attention to the louvers correct placement then you will bind the fins and as soon the car start’s to operate they will brake. Yours might be as well like this, depends if you are second owner or not.
It’s very easy to check their movement, just place your hand (palm facing the car) into the opening at front and if the fins gives slight movement but will not open the louvers, then the mechanism should be OK. If the fins are really tight, they are not moving at all (nor sideways or slightly inwards) and you feel like “pushing a painting out of the frame” then it’s the case that the bumper is holding them in place. You need new louvers as to fix them is quite hard, doable but will eventually brake again.
Your explanation that you hear loud cooling noise during charging can be the reason that the fins are bind and are not allowing the air to get through.
The road debris and fallen leaves can get there but only if the louvers are always open. Their design is to prevent unintentional airflow under the car or on the side…

Reactions: ResHacker
It might be as simple as wrong assembling after someone have repainted the front bumper. This was the reason that mine were broken. If you assemble the bumper back on and you are not paying attention to the louvers correct placement then you will bind the fins and as soon the car start’s to operate they will brake. Yours might be as well like this, depends if you are second owner or not.
It’s very easy to check their movement, just place your hand (palm facing the car) into the opening at front and if the fins gives slight movement but will not open the louvers, then the mechanism should be OK. If the fins are really tight, they are not moving at all (nor sideways or slightly inwards) and you feel like “pushing a painting out of the frame” then it’s the case that the bumper is holding them in place. You need new louvers as to fix them is quite hard, doable but will eventually brake again.
Your explanation that you hear loud cooling noise during charging can be the reason that the fins are bind and are not allowing the air to get through.
The road debris and fallen leaves can get there but only if the louvers are always open. Their design is to prevent unintentional airflow under the car or on the side…
Yes, thanks for the input. Your assumption regarding the wrongly assembled bumper might be right as in the service papers I have is one mentioning some repair actions in a paint center or what... might be after light collision. The previous owner didn't know anything as he was already second owner and had the vehicle just one year.
I think I'll try to have a look at it by myslef and see what can I find as the service shop has nearest free time slot by 24. Oct.

Ok so I have entered service mode and found out those 5 alerts. Seems the central louver is probably ok, at least according to diag. I tried to open the side ones, but they seems to be stucked, don't want to push more and break it.

Attachments

• IMG_20221007_114955_132.jpg
    IMG_20221007_114955_132.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 198
Ok so I have entered service mode and found out those 5 alerts. Seems the central louver is probably ok, at least according to diag. I tried to open the side ones, but they seems to be stucked, don't want to push more and break it.
Hello! I also have those errors on my Model S85 2014. Did you get to fix them? what was the problem? my side louvers don´t open or close. they are semi open stuck