Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone repaired cooling louvers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@ResHacker how come you did not subscribe for the toolbox3 option via Tesla service page? As it does not require SW downgrading, removing the instrument panel, etc... and its cheap for 1h?
Toolbox 2.1 installation was +- for the same money as 1h TB3 subscription. I also wanted some permanent diag solution, not just for 1h. Yeah, it can happen, something will not be possible to solve with TB2, then I pay the 1h TB3 for sure. I also like to tinker and learn something new with my car, so don't mind to put the IC disp out. But in this particular case I needed the IC out anyway to try to get rid of the bubbles. I have also connected the LAN cables in the way I no more need to put IC out in the future and can easily diag it whenever I want. Downgrade of the SW to .5 is no big deal as it's a version from +-Aug 2022, so still v11 with all the features available in .12 SW.

Reactions: LonelyMS
From the list of fault codes:

Signal Name
Shown to Customer Debug Text
User Message
Signal Name
Shown to Customer Debug Text
User Message
THC_u0005_cabinHVACLimited_PT
True
THC_u0005_cabinHVACLimited_PT
Vehicle Systems Being Cooled: Air Conditioning is Reduced
THC_w0105_coolantBottleLowLevel
True
THC_w0105_coolantBottleLowLevel
Vehicle Coolant is Low: Contact Tesla Service
THC_w0148_refrigerantLow
True
THC_w0148_refrigerantLow
Air Conditioning Needs Service:: Cabin A/C Performance Limited
Chime / Notification Behavior
• Behavior Name: CENTER_DISPLAY_NO_CHIME_NOTIFICATION
• Shown on Cluster: False
• Sound Repeated: False
• Sound Name: ALERT_SOUND_NONE
• Icon Type: ALERT_ICON_NOTIFICATION
• Behavior Name: CLUSTER_SINGLE_CHIME
• Sound Name: ALERT_SOUND_CHIME
• Icon Type: ALERT_ICON_WARNING
• Behavior Name: CLUSTER_NO_CHIME
• Sound Name: ALERT_SOUND_NONE
• Icon Type: ALERT_ICON_WARNING
I have no error codes /messages. I think it’s just strange….They sent a repair estimate without seeing the car and all the louvers work properly. I’m pretty sure I’m just gonna cancel my appointment and have a tech add some refrigerant.

Bumping this up
……. 2017 Tesla P100D
My car blows ice cold for 30-45 mins and then out of nowhere it feels like the AC is off even though it’s still blowing ( feels like fan air only ) then after a few mins will blow cool again ……..,
Remote diagnosis from Tesla replace front left and right louvre.
Funny thing is they are both working L and R . I can see them opening and closing at different times.

Does this seem correct ? Car goes in Aug 12
Cost estimate $989
My take I think it’s just low on coolant
No error codes……
Thx in advance e on any help
Bumping this up
……. 2017 Tesla P100D
My car blows ice cold for 30-45 mins and then out of nowhere it feels like the AC is off even though it’s still blowing ( feels like fan air only ) then after a few mins will blow cool again ……..,
Remote diagnosis from Tesla replace front left and right louvre.
Funny thing is they are both working L and R . I can see them opening and closing at different times.

Does this seem correct ? Car goes in Aug 12
Cost estimate $989
My take I think it’s just low on coolant
No error codes……
Thx in advance e on any help
I think their blowing smoke up your a$$.

I would tend to agree with this as well.

removed the front bumper for facelift conversion and was greeted by the carnage in the pictures. Seems my condensers and rad are on their way out…
Replaced the reinforcement as well as was far from being safe after 8 canadian winters.
Will try later both chinese actuators to see if they are working properly.

Attachments

• IMG_5902.jpeg
    IMG_5902.jpeg
    693.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5903.jpeg
    IMG_5903.jpeg
    504.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5904.jpeg
    IMG_5904.jpeg
    648.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5905.jpeg
    IMG_5905.jpeg
    660.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5906.jpeg
    IMG_5906.jpeg
    409.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_5908.jpeg
    IMG_5908.jpeg
    463.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5909.jpeg
    IMG_5909.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5907.jpeg
    IMG_5907.jpeg
    380.7 KB · Views: 84
I don’t understand the louvers anymore… have installed the new bumper, new louvers and the 2 actuators from Aliexpress.
Now during the test the right side opens and closes, nothing on the left and the test reports the other way around…left ok, right not ok…
What is the cheapest way to get Toolbox 3 access?

I don’t understand the louvers anymore… have installed the new bumper, new louvers and the 2 actuators from Aliexpress.
Now during the test the right side opens and closes, nothing on the left and the test reports the other way around…left ok, right not ok…
What is the cheapest way to get Toolbox 3 access?
Afaik your options are:

1. Go to 3rd party repair shop
2. Signup on service.tesla.com - 1 day rental for toolbox is $230CAD/day up here (and you'll need the cable to connect your laptop to your car as well)

Probably need to register for US or another region, Canada only has daily as a minimum.
Have some fakra connectors from my BMW retrofit days.
For the corrosion removing the nose cone should reveal the crash assembly for inspection.
But yes, everything is eaten in my front end. Parts are not that expensive, but labor probably is to replace the condensers and center rad.