Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone repaired cooling louvers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, no idea. Did not know the "F" are crap.

I just know what Tesla told me and that is that i need whole new "package" due to new version of the "housing" - no idea thou what this means.

Maybe the "G" are for newer tesla's ?
The facelift model S gets new part numbers 1058007-00-Rev, and 1057851-00-Rev. I replied to the tesla service chat with a screenshot showing a "G" revision. They responded with "thank you for the update." I will update with what they actually allow me to buy.

Reactions: LonelyMS
I wouldn't have any more revision "F" installed. The shaft passage is too short. It looks as if the shaft passage was made with a 3D printer. Revisions I and J have a different shaft passage. It is actually longer. The shaft cannot twist as much as it can with revision F.

Attachments

• IMG_0180.jpeg
    IMG_0180.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0181.png
    IMG_0181.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Hi all, lettin you know as I have some news regarding louvers. Over this this week I have replaced coolant radiator, then (probably) faulty 3-way radiator bypass valve (but the fault still remains there) and also had look at the radiator shutters. And guess what, both had broken axle pin or hiw to call it - the part which goes into the actuator. Fortunately both pins were found inside. So we have mounted it back using some plastic welder wire and also glued it with epoxy and piece of rag to make it hard. Put it back and faults are disappeared, no diag test needed!! Nevertheless it's weird, it worked on second sch attempt, during the first one all shutters were dead + faults on. I'll post some pics later on...

How are you suppose to place them back in? Open or closed? Or it doesn’t matter as the actuator can turn in both direction during the initial test? Thx
Yes, it doesn't matter as the system initiates some test-round probably each time you get into the car, plug the charging cable in, etc.. So it learns then the border positions itself. There's also one remark I have made as it seems the system will clear all of the faults once when all of the 4 louvers are working without the need of any diag init. In my case when only 2 louvers were ok but not working and with faults, the diag init was necessary to make them working.
And last point I want to mention is, it has been really PITA process to put the radiator louvers back into the assembly as it is not possible to disassemble it (was wondering how do they complete it in the factory - maybe by applying some heat to make it softer??). Also was worried whether the upper glued pin or the remaining bottom one will eventually break, but fortunately it has survived. The plastic from which it is made is very very robust and can be also a bit bent if needed. Therefore was wondering how much torque force there has to be to cyclically stress the pin as it then finally breaks... Curious how long will the repaired ones survive :)

When I removed the fins from the side louvers assembly then I cleaned them in hot water - very hot actually, just let the water to cool a bit to use by hand - for re-assembly. Worked quite good.
Yeah, I believe when the assembly itself is mechanically ok, then there's only a little probability the actuator is bad. So if all of the assemblies are ok, the car should resynch it itself. If not, then the faults will remain. I believe similar problem might be the 3 and 4-way valves.. This is now under my investigation :)

Reactions: KalJoMoS
Apparently it does matter (open v. closed) as I took it apart once more, has set them open and assembled it all together. All are working well now. Prior to this - errors and no movement.
Hmm, maybe you're right, sorry ... I have also assembled it in opened position. The fact is, there's probably a feedback potentiometer which can spin only in defined range.... at least this kind of assembly is used in the 3 and 4-way valve so I believe it will be the same in this kind of actuator ....