Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Basic Autopilot improved (and phantom braking decreased) since radar was removed? (About to buy!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Outside of phantom braking which I experience constantly on my 21 M3.

I’m also noticing the car does nothing in lane if trucks cars get super close where I see the radar turn orange red it does nothing but just continue centered…

22 M3P and I would say AP has improved over the last year. I took a 800 mile trip across South Dakota in July last year and had a ton of phantom braking events. Mainly due to heat mirages and some overpass shadows but some completely unexplained. This was during bright sunny days with an empty freeway. Took a few shorter freeway trips this summer and I have only had one slight slow down - no slamming on the brake events. They must have changed something or set the tolerances lower in the last few releases.

Pretty recent just upgraded to the most recent 11.1 I think today
I don't believe there was ever a public release of a V11.1. Certainly that's not a recent version. If you look at the bottom of your phone app's main screen, you'll see a version number like 2023.20.7. That's the one I'm after. You can also get it off the Software section of the car's controls display. Also, I'd want to know if you're driving on Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot or Full Self Driving. That can be seen in the Autopilot section of the car's controls display.

My apologies if you've already established this stuff in the thread. I just couldn't find it.

I don't believe there was ever a public release of a V11.1. Certainly that's not a recent version. If you look at the bottom of your phone app's main screen, you'll see a version number like 2023.20.7. That's the one I'm after. You can also get it off the Software section of the car's controls display. Also, I'd want to know if you're driving on Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot or Full Self Driving. That can be seen in the Autopilot section of the car's controls display.

My apologies if you've already established this stuff in the thread. I just couldn't find it.
2023.20.7 and basic auto pilot

2023.20.7 and basic auto pilot
Ah. Thank you. We have lots of discussions on the forums here about cars with certain behaviors, but we don't establish what software we're using. Your car has the latest infotainment software, but the autopilot software hasn't changed much for quite a while. All of Tesla's efforts seem to be on their experimental version of the autonomy software, referred to as FSD Beta, which does not affect basic Autopilot. That said, Tesla has been trying to merge all their software efforts into a single set of code, and when they finally nail that down, Autopilot users should see significant improvements because the experimental software will replace the current code.

Reactions: DrChaos
Ah. Thank you. We have lots of discussions on the forums here about cars with certain behaviors, but we don't establish what software we're using. Your car has the latest infotainment software, but the autopilot software hasn't changed much for quite a while. All of Tesla's efforts seem to be on their experimental version of the autonomy software, referred to as FSD Beta, which does not affect basic Autopilot. That said, Tesla has been trying to merge all their software efforts into a single set of code, and when they finally nail that down, Autopilot users should see significant improvements because the experimental software will replace the current code.
Gotcha any idea when that’s planned? Or any place to track? Like on GitHub or something?

My 2023 model 3 dual motor long range purchased in December 2022 had chronic phantom braking problems till October 2023 (nearly 8 months). Frightening braking only while the cruise was activated. However, the recent software update version 11.1 with improved camera resolution completely solved this problem. Tesla came through in correcting a dangerous and incredibly nagging problem since my purchase 8 months ago. Driving is now a breeze and stress free other then dealing with the traffic itself..thanks Tesla.

Reactions: cmy4x4 and DrChaos