Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has sentry mode ever made you feel like an ass before?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve only had my Model 3 for a little over a month, so I didn’t know that Sentry mode flashes the lights when people get near...

Well I was leaving the movies tonight and three girls were walking to the car parked in the row behind mine. They must have been looking at the Model 3 because all three screamed a little and jumped when they got close and the lights flashed. Of course I was about 20 feet behind them and then had to get in the car that scared the crap out of them....

I decided to demonstrate the acceleration of the Model 3 since I felt like a huge ass and wanted to get out of there, lol.

Anyone else have interesting sentry stories or videos that has made them feel like a complete idiot? :p

• Informative
Reactions: go2realize
I do wish there was a setting where we could turn off the flash.

In the OP's situation I would have just pretended that I unlocked my car as I walked towards it, and that explains the light flash.

Most people will assume any activity from a vehicle when the owner is nearby is a result of their actions, and not that the car itself is doing something,.

Reactions: positiv
I do wish there was a setting where we could turn off the flash.

In the OP's situation I would have just pretended that I unlocked my car as I walked towards it, and that explains the light flash.

Most people will assume any activity from a vehicle when the owner is nearby is a result of their actions, and not that the car itself is doing something,.

I probably would have if all three of them hadn’t jumped and screamed. They were close enough and I was far enough back that it REALLY would have seemed like I was waiting for them to get within three or four feet of the car to do that (while I was 25+ feet away).

I think it's great! Some jackass does something stupid to your car, I think it's great that the M3 let's them know that they were busted and recorded. I'm thinking of having window stickers made advising people to "Smile, you're on Tesla Camera"... and you can't do anything about it. I caught someone at my office opening his door into my car and chipping some paint. I know who it was and confronted him with video... I love it!

I think it's great! Some jackass does something stupid to your car, I think it's great that the M3 let's them know that they were busted and recorded. I'm thinking of having window stickers made advising people to "Smile, you're on Tesla Camera"... and you can't do anything about it. I caught someone at my office opening his door into my car and chipping some paint. I know who it was and confronted him with video... I love it!

Oh I love the idea of it too (thankful haven’t had to “cash in” on that), but tonight it sure made me feel like an ass, lol.

• Funny
Reactions: Kleenerth3
Not only do I appreciate a flash I would like it to chirp the horn 2x if it sees someone touch the car. Probably require a little more neural learning but this would be a better "warning" than a flash that may not be seen. Also the flash could use a little more neural learning to recognize completely indifferent actions (like the OP is describing) from potentially nefarious actions.

Just to add a neighbor's kids love walking by my car so the lights will flash (park in a parking deck). I remember watching the first time it happened. They were looking, pointing, laughing and talking loudly to their mom.

The first night I used it at a hotel, I parked at an end spot - which I later learned was the end the smokers walk to in the middle of the night. I didn't know that, and I didn't know the lights flashed. Got lots of events at like 2 AM of the car flashing a smoker or two walking back and forth. Hope whoever was in the hotel room in front of my headlights is a sound sleeper...

• Funny
I probably would have if all three of them hadn’t jumped and screamed. They were close enough and I was far enough back that it REALLY would have seemed like I was waiting for them to get within three or four feet of the car to do that (while I was 25+ feet away).

Oh, I would have been super tempted to honk the horn remotely then start summon and ease the car forward and back a bit. Imagine how loud they would have screamed then! Yeah, I guess I am kind of an ass.

• Funny
Reactions: gecko10x
Yes. My city has a jazz & blues festival every year which is quite a draw. They shut down a couple blocks and there are lots of tents with acts, vendors, and live performance, it's a pretty happening spot. It was this past week so my wife and I went downtown to check it out. Parking was pretty crazy but I noticed there were some empty chargers near where we wanted to go. I ended up parking right by a sidewalk but it was very well lit and next to a busy street. So I plugged in and we went for a walk. I fully expected lots of sentry activation being that it was right next to a busy sidewalk. Where I live there isn't a tremendous amount of Teslas and I like to try to be a good ambassador to the brand, so I really don't mind if people check out my car, I just turned on sentry in case someone backed into it or whatever. We get back a couple hours lator and sure enough, there is lots of activations. As I'm browsing the footage, I noticed a nice older couple casually checking out the car, they where respectful, not touching it or anything just walking around it. You could tell the husband was very interested, perhaps thinking about getting one himself, then the wife comes along and points to the screen. It obviously showed it was recording and at that moment they awkwardly turned to the camera, waved and promptly took off. I couldn't help but feel bad as in this case it was not my intention to scare people off who are genuinely interested in he car and just wish to respectfully look at it, no harm was done. Maybe if they had more time to check it over they would be that much closer to buying an EV themselves, who knows.