Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Tesla Build quality improved on new Model 3s in 2022?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting ready to order a Model 3 but now I have heard so much about poor build quality I am having second thoughts. I have driven Toyota for 25 years with zero problems and just need opinions on the latest 2022 quality. Thanks in advance

It's still very much hit and miss in late 2022 as it was in late 2017, early 2018.

Go in assuming the worst, hope for the best. Don't let the halo status or new car experience blind you and you will be fine.

If you're OK with 20-30K car quality with another 20K in batteries and some already aging tech, and can turn a blind eye to some fit/finish, build/paint quality issues - the whole package is still fairly enticing.

Sounds like I may look for other options. I am retired and don't drive that much. I really like the idea of the Prius Prime. I think it only has like 25 mile ev range before engine starts but for me that would be fine. Don't really need a new car but love technology.

• Funny
Reactions: enemji
I am getting ready to order a Model 3 but now I have heard so much about poor build quality I am having second thoughts. I have driven Toyota for 25 years with zero problems and just need opinions on the latest 2022 quality. Thanks in advance
I have a 2021 M3 SR+ built in July of '21. I feel the build quality is pretty good. Not like a German built Mercedes but much better than a Canadian Ford.

I think a lot of these moments about build quality are from previous years. Leftover FUD. Any product will have builds quality issues early in the production run.

My 2019 was just fine and I've had only 1 problem (sensors) which was quickly fixed. You hear a lot from the complaints but there are 100,000's of deliveries with no problems. Go on any other manufacturers forums and you'll see the complaints there too. The battery is expensive and takes up a lot of the cost which doesn't leave as much as conventional ICE manufacturers. I came to Tesla from MB - is it as "luxurious" as MB? No - but the tech and performance are light years ahead of MB.

I have owned a Model 3 for 4 days. I was terrified about build quality issues, malfunctions as soon as I drive away, and a generally miserable experience. My car is none of those, so far.

Don't worry about it. for every "bad" build which people will be happy to tell you about, I'm sure there are hundreds of near perfect cars being delivered. No one gets online to tell you how great something is. They come to solve problems they have, or vent when something isn't the way they think is should be. If you want the car, buy the car. and don't worry about problems you don't have yet.

In my opinion, the thing to worry about is service and spare parts. That seems to be the universal problem for Tesla owners. It made me keep my old car, as I don't trust the company to provide timely service, and I can not go without a car for long periods of time.

I received my 2021 Model 3 LR last November. Build quality was great no issues. On par with my Volvo XC90 and Mercedes.

Reactions: Bouba and enemji
Picked up my 2022 Model 3 LR this Feb and it had an issue with the roof glass being out of place that the service center saw and fixed before I paid for it. Other than that I reviewed the online checklist prior so I knew what to look for and discovered none of the issues that others have reported. I was very prepared to turn down anything I wasn't happy with but thankfully didn't need to do that.

It's still very much hit and miss in late 2022 as it was in late 2017, early 2018.

I believe this statement is accurate. I also believe there are much more good examples than bad, and I also believe that some of this stuff is self fulfilling prophecy of people reading about issues, then showing up with 8 page "delivery documents" that they never would have used for another car, and talking about panel gap measuring tools.

Some of this tesla has absolutely earned, but its not necessary for the average person, imo.

My wifes model Y, purchased in march of 2022, was significantly better than my model 3 purchased in 2018. I still have the model 3 I got in 2018, and intend to keep it for some time as its been very solid (if somewhat noisy from a wind noise perspective).

With that being said, There is no shortage of people who join TMC here simply to complain about build quality or make user names like "maybe owner" and have their first post be "why I cancelled my order" (as an example), with complaints about build quality on an supposedly almost delivered vehicle that are fairly fantastical (but also could be true given teslas previous history on the topic).

So, its still all over the map.

Last edited:
With that being said, There is no shortage of people who join TMC here simply to complain about build quality or make user names like "maybe owner" and have their first post be "why I cancelled my order" (as an example), with complaints about build quality on an supposedly almost delivered vehicle that are fairly fantastical (but also could be true given teslas previous history on the topic).

So, its still all over the map.
Just try Reddit/RealTesla for some real Tesla bashing, no positive posts allowed there, Elon is the Devil himself walking the Earth. I felt like canceling my order until I read more and realized that bunch of haters live for that xxxx.

Took delivery of My 2022 LR Model 3 back in January. Build quality of my car is pretty damn nice. No egregious flaws. Panel gaps were ok overall. The frunk fitment was the only thing that was not perfect, but it doesn't bother me at all since it's hardly noticeable. I'm happy with its build quality inside out overall. Soft touch materials where you touch, harder plastics where you don't on par with everyone else really. The white interior is surprisingly very easy to clean!

Has it improved…. I’m sure it has since the initial Model 3. I have a late model 2021 and am now starting to notice some issues that I did not notice when I initially took delivery (I’m at 10k miles.) Most of my issues are with the interior build quality though.