Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Tesla Build quality improved on new Model 3s in 2022?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like I may look for other options. I am retired and don't drive that much. I really like the idea of the Prius Prime. I think it only has like 25 mile ev range before engine starts but for me that would be fine. Don't really need a new car but love technology.

I owned a RAV4 Prime. MSRP $46K that basically was a sub $30K car with a $15K drivetrain. My ears were bleeding from how bad the audio system was and the safety systems are from 10 years ago. Loved the efficient drivetrain and how non glitchy it was compared to my ID.4 before it. I eventually moved to a Telluride which is 10x car the R4P was - for about same price.

I’ve owned a 3 and Y and I’d say they are $35K cars with $20K drivetrains. Great audio, plush seats, best in class infotainment + navigation, and top notch drivetrains.

The QC issues I had with my car on delivery were the passenger side black mirror trim was sticking out, the rear door handles are more sunken in than the front, and the interior door seals being wrinkled. I've also replaced my driver side tail light already from excess condensation building up inside. August 2021 build here with about 20k miles. Nothing really that has prevented me from enjoying my car or worrying about it leaving me stranded.

The tailight issue surprised me as I thought that was addressed already with multiple part revisions...the one they pulled off my car was Rev.H.

The intermittent condensation issue isn't unique to Teslas and won't be solved with any revisions of the LED taillights.

Not my video by very informative and useful. When I'm out of warranty have inevitably have the condensation problem again, I'm going to fix it myself for good.

The only way to not be disappointed at delivery is to keep your expectations low. Mine were low and my car still was a little disappointing due to a few misaligned panels and dust under paint in several areas at delivery in June. It was nowhere near as terrible as some of the examples I have seen posted here over the years however the build quality is still below par compared to legacy automakers. The interior was actually pretty good though so no complaints there.

The only way to not be disappointed at delivery is to keep your expectations low. Mine were low and my car still was a little disappointing due to a few misaligned panels and dust under paint in several areas at delivery in June. It was nowhere near as terrible as some of the examples I have seen posted here over the years however the build quality is still below par compared to legacy automakers. The interior was actually pretty good though so no complaints there.
it's also total luck of the draw unfortunately. my July build 2019 model 3 had flawless paint and nothing too bad with gaps or interior quality issues (one loose trim piece which they fixed). meanwhile the 2021 Model Y of a friend has interior trim pieces falling off left and right. sucks that there is little consistency.

The only way to not be disappointed at delivery is to keep your expectations low.
This is the sad reality of Tesla purchasing. While I agree with you that expectations should be tapered to not be disappointed, that’s not something anyone should do when purchasing a new car over $40k. No one goes in with low expectations when taking delivery of a new Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla (economy cars that are built-for and marketed-to the masses), which are much less expensive than the average Tesla purchase.

I think it’s our lowered expectations that have enabled Tesla to get away with defects that Tesla considers are “within tolerance“ or “within spec” deficiencies in their build quality.

Those are sad comments on a car in that price range. I am super fussy so I guess I will look elsewhere as though Tesla is the pioneer in electric cars there are so many other choices out there and for that price the cars should be perfect. Every Toyota I have bought in the last few years has been. Looking elsewhere for a new car and I really appreciate everyone's honest comments.

meanwhile the 2021 Model Y of a friend has interior trim pieces falling off left and right.

This is the issue I am running into now with my 2021 M3 and its driving me crazy. If you put any kind of light pressure on the A or B pillars...they pop off. People get into the car, and rub against them and they pop off. I've never had issues like this any car I've owned. Another issue I have is that the rear floor flexes like a baking sheet; it makes this weird warbling noise when you push on it (also like a cookie sheet coming up to temp.) My last gripe with the interior is that vegan p/leather feels cheaper/worse than any other OEM's take I can think of (reminds me of the pleather on cheap office chairs.)

Overall though, I like the design of Tesla's interiors. I just dont think the interior build quality matches the price point (or even cars half the price - ie Mazda.) Prior to my M3P, I owned a BMW M2, Mazda CX-5 and a ND Miata (both Mazda's are sub-$35K cars.) I like the performance of the car, but I find myself missing the more luxurious feel (the stuff your body touches directly) of the interior. The panels popping off make me angry though.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
The QC issues I had with my car on delivery were the passenger side black mirror trim was sticking out, the rear door handles are more sunken in than the front, and the interior door seals being wrinkled. I've also replaced my driver side tail light already from excess condensation building up inside. August 2021 build here with about 20k miles. Nothing really that has prevented me from enjoying my car or worrying about it leaving me stranded.

The tailight issue surprised me as I thought that was addressed already with multiple part revisions...the one they pulled off my car was Rev.H.
Yours must have been built the same week as mine. I had all those minor fit issues other than the taillight. The passenger side mirror trim is still sticking out as it hasn't bothered me enough to address it.

Those are sad comments on a car in that price range. I am super fussy so I guess I will look elsewhere as though Tesla is the pioneer in electric cars there are so many other choices out there and for that price the cars should be perfect. Every Toyota I have bought in the last few years has been. Looking elsewhere for a new car and I really appreciate everyone's honest comments.
I was also on the fence but rolled the dice and it worked out for me. Also, as an aside, the current market is crazy and it looks like it won't cool off much in the near future. So you could still purchase and try your luck and just sell the car if it really has any issues. You will be either even or even make a profit. Carvana is currently offering me $5K more than what I paid for my M3LR in February 2022.

This is the issue I am running into now with my 2021 M3 and its driving me crazy. If you put any kind of light pressure on the A or B pillars...they pop off. People get into the car, and rub against them and they pop off. I've never had issues like this any car I've owned. Another issue I have is that the rear floor flexes like a baking sheet; it makes this weird warbling noise when you push on it (also like a cookie sheet coming up to temp.) My last gripe with the interior is that vegan p/leather feels cheaper/worse than any other OEM's take I can think of (reminds me of the pleather on cheap office chairs.)

Overall though, I like the design of Tesla's interiors. I just dont think the interior build quality matches the price point (or even cars half the price - ie Mazda.) Prior to my M3P, I owned a BMW M2, Mazda CX-5 and a ND Miata (both Mazda's are sub-$35K cars.) I like the performance of the car, but I find myself missing the more luxurious feel (the stuff your body touches directly) of the interior. The panels popping off make me angry though.
just got a 2020 CX-5 in the Grand Touring trim and slightly used with only 9k miles - it was less than 1/2 (!) what a new Model Y AWD costs right now (for the wife). Fit/Finish and interior quality miles above my Model 3 AWD. That SUV feels very tight, zero rattles and super quiet inside (comes with double paned side windows like the Y). Drivetrain is clearly lacking but from a comfort and suspension perspective... ahead of the 2x more expensive Y. Imho as others have said... the Model 3 AWD is a ~$30k car (and that's generous) with a $20k drivetrain. Think about Kia quality from 15+ years ago combined with a Porsche drivetrain. If you don't care about performance and value interior quality/comfort... you will be disappointed.

Reactions: randmness
The intermittent condensation issue isn't unique to Teslas and won't be solved with any revisions of the LED taillights.

Not my video by very informative and useful. When I'm out of warranty have inevitably have the condensation problem again, I'm going to fix it myself for good.
I know some condensation is normal, but excessive pools of water in my tail light is not. None of my previous cars ever pooled water like my Tesla did.

I know some condensation is normal, but excessive pools of water in my tail light is not. None of my previous cars ever pooled water like my Tesla did.
Like I said, not Telsa specific.

305605-fa69d270ad04d4bb3c50deaf0bbedc60.jpg

condensation-3-jpg.55094

K3YO3oc.jpg

You didn't watch the video either, did you?

I am getting ready to order a Model 3 but now I have heard so much about poor build quality I am having second thoughts. I have driven Toyota for 25 years with zero problems and just need opinions on the latest 2022 quality. Thanks in advance
Compared to what? 2021-2022 not so much, but 2018-2022 has been ridiculous. The complaints about poor build quality are mostly ignorable. You may get misaligned door panels or something not fitted correctly in the interior, and you go get it fixed by service and the vehicle works as intended.

If you dont want poor build quality then dont get a 2018 like i did. Constant creeking and design flaws all over the place. Ridiculously loud road noise.

Reactions: father_of_6
just got a 2020 CX-5 in the Grand Touring trim and slightly used with only 9k miles - it was less than 1/2 (!) what a new Model Y AWD costs right now (for the wife). Fit/Finish and interior quality miles above my Model 3 AWD. That SUV feels very tight, zero rattles and super quiet inside (comes with double paned side windows like the Y). Drivetrain is clearly lacking but from a comfort and suspension perspective... ahead of the 2x more expensive Y. Imho as others have said... the Model 3 AWD is a ~$30k car (and that's generous) with a $20k drivetrain. Think about Kia quality from 15+ years ago combined with a Porsche drivetrain. If you don't care about performance and value interior quality/comfort... you will be disappointed.
I disagree that the Model 3 AWD is equivalent to a $30K car (or should be priced as such). The average price of new vehicles has risen substantially over the last 10 years. My sister has a Kia Optima that had an MSRP around $30K and there's nothing I would take from the Kia over what Tesla included. Its like really not even close.

I'll also say that I owned a 2019 CX-5 Signature and I hated the infotainment system so much that I dumped it after a year. So I'm assuming we just have different perspectives on what we want out of a vehicle.