Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Tesla changed the glossy center console in the 2021 Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rumor and past practice indicate the new non glossy redesigned M3 Center console will make its way to the MY sooner than later. Tesla likes to keep production as simple as possible and a lot of M3 and MY parts are interchangeable. I wrapped mine with a matte black ABS plastic cover that I like a lot. Bought it on Amazon based on another Tesla owners recommendation. Longer lasting than a vinyl wrap. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZSGN7TD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: jfawns76
Rumor and past practice indicate the new non glossy redesigned M3 Center console will make its way to the MY sooner than later. Tesla likes to keep production as simple as possible and a lot of M3 and MY parts are interchangeable. I wrapped mine with a matte black ABS plastic cover that I like a lot. Bought it on Amazon based on another Tesla owners recommendation. Longer lasting than a vinyl wrap. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZSGN7TD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can you check the URL again. I'm looking to do something with my center console as well.

When I picked up my MY about a month ago, the center console was nicked. The service folks said they would replace it. I’ve been thinking that maybe I’d wait till the new console arrived and try to finagle an exchange. While talking with a service ranger earlier in the week, he suggested that even if Tesla agreed to this idea, he doubted the new console would fit similarly to the current console. He didn’t know for sure, but he seemed pretty sure. Oh well.

This is one of the things that I'm waiting for. I despise the glossy console, and yea, while wrapping is an option, I'd rather not. I also wanted a MYP, but I can't bring myself to buy a car where I instantly need to replace tires/wheels. I think it Tesla offered the MYP with all seasons, at least in winter, they would sell more of that variant. As it stands, will probably wait until spring before ordering if I decide to go for the P.

Does anyone who works at Tesla check this forum?
I would also love to find out when the new centre console is coming for the MY.
Also apparently there are 4680 cells coming.
Unibody construction?
heated steering wheel?
air suspension?
hepa filters?
European headlights?
double thick glass?

Should I wait for these?

Unibody construction?
heated steering wheel?
air suspension?
hepa filters?
European headlights?
double thick glass?

Should I wait for these?

Sure, if you want to wait for a couple of years.

Unibody construction?
heated steering wheel?
air suspension?
hepa filters?
European headlights?
double thick glass?

Should I wait for these?

Almost everyone here is speculating from the same spare hints.

4680 cells are likely to appear on newly designed, smaller volume vehicles long before the 3/Y battery pack.

The body is already a unibody. If you mean a structural battery pack, that's likely to be tested on a redesigned Model S or Roadster first.

A heated steering wheel is a likely near-term upgrade. It may already be in production, with only a software change needed to enable it.

Air suspension is a likely medium-term change. It may be an extra cost option.
It would be especially useful on the seven seat model to eliminate the coil spring pocket and widen the rear space, but doing that would require a different rear casting.

A large HEPA filter might be coming soon. It's not likely to be as large as the one on the Model S.

Adaptive headlights aren't likely to be approved in the U.S. in the near future, so they might be only installed on Chinese and Berlin production. A counter viewpoint is that they are legal when set to a static configuration, and still have a chance of quick approval. Plus they are an advanced, perhaps even transformative, feature aligned with Tesla's innovative market positioning. I think it's a challenging prediction to make.
NHTSA Still Hasn't Ruled on Adaptive Headlights

Laminated front side glass was a running change in mid October 2020 (last month). The benefit is lower for the rear side door glass, so I don't see that happening.