Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Voice command improved a whole lot recently?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I'm not negative.. just disappointed.

When I first got a Tesla, I just expected everything to work a lot better...

I expected the UI to be a lot smarter and advanced...

The Tesla UI is like a very old smartphone...

........ And that's disappointing...

Curious to know what car you are comparing with the come to this conclusion. Coming from very recent Audi/BMW and a few recent rentals I'm not sure I have much to complain about other than lack of text messaging and maybe a couple of minor things with the music player/interface.

Is there room to improve, for sure, but the overall experience is positive for me.

Curious to know what car you are comparing with the come to this conclusion. Coming from very recent Audi/BMW and a few recent rentals I'm not sure I have much to complain about other than lack of text messaging and maybe a couple of minor things with the music player/interface.

Is there room to improve, for sure, but the overall experience is positive for me.

I'm not comparing Tesla to another vehicle or brand.

I'm comparing Tesla to their hype machine and the image they sell...

I expected the Tesla UI to be pretty comparable to a modern smartphone..

... and that's where Tesla disappoints ....

Reactions: WannabeOwner

I'm not comparing Tesla to another vehicle or brand.

I'm comparing Tesla to their hype machine and the image they sell...

I expected the Tesla UI to be pretty comparable to a modern smartphone..

... and that's where Tesla disappoints ....

I think the Tesla UI is pretty good. This is a car and you hopefully don't need to interact with the UI a lot, but when you do I think Tesla's UI is better than any other car. But it's really about personal preference so I understand how you don't like it.

About the voice command system, I don't know how anyone could be disappointed in that. It understands every word I say PERFECTLY and I'm not even a native speaker. Honestly to me it's one of the things that I didn't know worked so well before I got the car, and I am so pleasantly surprised that a function that is SO important in navigation/music works SO well, much better than any other car I know of.

Tesla Voice Command performs well below expectations...

Like most of Tesla's User Interface... (they all need a huge facelift and upgrade)

Compared to my BMW the voice command on my 13X for 17X is lousy. Compares to a BMW that my friend had in 1992.

I think you are is Tesla's Achilles heel any ventrally what other manufacturers catch up to EV functionality of Tesla, they will be held to the fire for UI issues, but likely not till then

About the voice command system, I don't know how anyone could be disappointed in that. It understands every word I say PERFECTLY and I'm not even a native speaker. Honestly to me it's one of the things that I didn't know worked so well before I got the car, and I am so pleasantly surprised that a function that is SO important in navigation/music works SO well, much better than any other car I know of.
You are glossing over the fact that the voice commands are extremely limited. Yes it does a good job understanding you for the few commands it knows, but you can control very little via voice. Cars have been able to set temperatures, dial numbers, and search for any number of things in the navigation all by voice command for over a decade. People are disappointed bc the breadth of voice commands are so antiquated compared to cars from many years ago.

You are glossing over the fact that the voice commands are extremely limited. Yes it does a good job understanding you for the few commands it knows, but you can control very little via voice. Cars have been able to set temperatures, dial numbers, and search for any number of things in the navigation all by voice command for over a decade. People are disappointed bc the breadth of voice commands are so antiquated compared to cars from many years ago.

I'm not glossing over anything, those things have limited usability. IMHO setting a temperature with voice commands is not really necessary since it's so easy to do... with your hand. I'd welcome that feature but it wouldn't really change much for me.

Being able to set up navigation so easily with voice (easier than any other car I know) and being able to voice-command pretty much any song in the world on the other hand, is EXTREMELY useful since those things are otherwise almost impossible to do while driving. I don't know any car that does those two things as well as Tesla does them.

I can also call people with voice no problem, it works really well. I'm not quite sure how being able to 'dial a number' would add usefulness since people don't memorize numbers any more.

To sum it up, Tesla's voice commands do the things that voice commands would be useful for extremely well.

I'm not glossing over anything, those things have limited usability. IMHO setting a temperature with voice commands is not really necessary since it's so easy to do... with your hand. I'd welcome that feature but it wouldn't really change much for me.

Being able to set up navigation so easily with voice (easier than any other car I know) and being able to voice-command pretty much any song in the world on the other hand, is EXTREMELY useful since those things are otherwise almost impossible to do while driving. I don't know any car that does those two things as well as Tesla does them.

I can also call people with voice no problem, it works really well. I'm not quite sure how being able to 'dial a number' would add usefulness since people don't memorize numbers any more.

To sum it up, Tesla's voice commands do the things that voice commands would be useful for extremely well.
I only listed a few use cases to provide examples. This isn't about providing a comprehensive list. The simple fact is that the voice commands are extremely limited when compared to other vehicles. We are in agreement that the few things the voice can be used for work well. And the fact that I can't do "call Joe Smith work" vs "call Joe Smith mobile" is a major, major limitation.

I only listed a few use cases to provide examples. This isn't about providing a comprehensive list. The simple fact is that the voice commands are extremely limited when compared to other vehicles. We are in agreement that the few things the voice can be used for work well. And the fact that I can't do "call Joe Smith work" vs "call Joe Smith mobile" is a major, major limitation.

Yeah, I didn't think of that one. I don't remember ever needing it, because personally I don't need to call people at their offices or non-cell numbers very much, but I agree that could be a big limitation if you did.

I'm curious as to what other important commands you think the voice system is lacking, though. I really can't think of something that's significantly lacking.

Yeah, I didn't think of that one. I don't remember ever needing it, but I agree it could be a big limitation.

I'm curious as to what other important commands you think the voice system is lacking, though. I really can't think of something that's significantly lacking.
Almost every contact in my phone book has either a mobile & home or mobile & work number stored - so I am frustrated by the inability to use voice to differentiate between numbers on a daily basis.

I also don't think the navigation search works that well. For example, I don't think the voice command works well if I want to see nearby Chinese restaurants or nearby ATM machines.

Personally I miss being able to say "set temperature to 78 degrees". I used to do that in my last car all the time. It's just faster than any other method when you want to do a big change in temperature.

I wouldn't categorize any of the voice features as important b/c you can do them all with your hand. The beauty of voice commands is that it provides convenience if you don't want to take your eyes off the road or change the menus/displays. With a limited set of commands supported you have limited conveniences provided by voice.