Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has your car shut down before it hits zero?

Has your car shut down before it hits zero?

• I have not driven to low double or single digits

Votes: 80 31.3%
  • No

Votes: 163 63.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 13 5.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2015 Tesla just shut down on me showing 8km left but only 2km to the supercharger. I have cut it close before to <10km but never had this issue.

Guess I have to rethink my safety margin.

Is there some kind of battery I can keep in my trunk to give an extra 20 or 30 km?

Reactions: Tyl
My 2015 Tesla just shut down on me showing 8km left but only 2km to the supercharger. I have cut it close before to <10km but never had this issue.

Guess I have to rethink my safety margin.

Is there some kind of battery I can keep in my trunk to give an extra 20 or 30 km?
As the car gets older the more likely it will shut down right at zero or even before. You can usually stretch it out a bit more by driving very carefully toward the end.
There is no such thing as an extra battery to give you more range. You could bring a power station like Ecoflow or Bluetti and charge your car in those situations, but they give you very little charge. 2-5 miles at the most.

• Informative
Reactions: Eric33432
Once 7% and once 4%. No problem.

Drove gently when I knew it would be ~4% when I reached the SuC.

Problem was, I was planning on charging from dryer receptacle when I reached my friend's house. Both times. First time, reached their house with 7% and I just charged from friend's dryer outlet. Second trip, got to house with <10%. Imagine my sense of doom when I opened the frunk and discovered I had forgot my mobile charger, which was being used for an almost new Model 3 we had recently purchased. Closest SuC was about a 40 minute drive from friend's house. But reached with 4% with no problem.

Since then I have installed a second Tesla Wall Connector for the M3 Tessie and never take the mobile connector out of the frunk on our MX Tessie.

Shut downs: 2.

½ mile from SpC, 3 miles showing.
3 miles from SpC, 11 miles showing.

Towed both times.

I keep 25 as my minimum these days.

170,000 miles on the battery pack.

Now 176,963 on the pack. Top charge 218.

2013 85MS. 11 years old this March.

Soooo 218 means 193.

Winds, cold, load (passengers, luggage)

150 thereabouts🥴🥴🥴🥴.

Thank goodness supercharge gaps are shrinking, just not enough in many locations.
….. and, to get the range one needs in those gaps you’ll spend much more time charging.

Battery tech improving, that’s a good thing!

In the mean time, gap closures are needed the most.

I say that because the supercharging network’s original intent was/is to facilitate long distance travel. Most local area charging can be done at home, that’s never an issue. The coming challenges are the gaps that are greater than 100 miles at the moment; and soon to be 50 miles.

Reactions: David99 and Ed243
Are those fairly recent events? I'm just wondering if you used to be able to get down close to zero in previous years, and now for some reason it won't do it.
When my S 85 was new I once went 9 miles over. Another time 5 miles. At 200k miles it shut down at 0. At 250k it shot down a few miles before 0. So yes it does get worse with age. Degradation is one thing when the battery gets old. But the risk of shutting down cuts off more miles. And don't forget that to get to true 100% takes forever on old cars as well. So your actual usable range is, as Tyl said, much less.

• Informative
Reactions: ran349
Are those fairly recent events? I'm just wondering if you used to be able to get down close to zero in previous years, and now for some reason it won't do it.
My shut downs were a year ago & 1 ½ ago.
I’m much more cautious these days. I used to try to always arrive with 1 or two miles remaining.
I loved the fast charge of an empty battery pack in my early days of ownership. ….. I also ran negative by about 10 miles about 9 years ago.. whew …. barely made it without a tow. It’s degradation that’s making it impossible to fast charge and/or get the 270 miles I use to get. Now it’s about 214.

Reactions: ran349 and David99