Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have an Audi R8, does a Tesla or some other EV make sense for my commute?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it were me, a P3D stealth would be the way to go. You'll have no problems up in the twisties regardless of which one you choose. Definitely get Autopilot. Your call on FSD.

Definitely need some form of 240V receptacle in your parking area. Consider that you may want to get PG&E Time of Use metering so you can charge more economically in the middle of the night. With the current EV2-A plan, cheap rates start at midnight. So you want to be able to recover at least that 100 miles between midnight and whenever you leave in the morning. As a previous poster mentioned, you'd probably want at least a 30 amp (24 amps continuous) capability - which would give around 23 mph of charging. Starting at midnight, you'd recover your 100 miles before 5 AM. The LR battery pack cars can charge at as high as 48 amps continuous - which requires a 60 amp circuit and a dedicated EVSE (charging station) such as the Tesla Wall Connector.

If it were me, a P3D stealth would be the way to go. You'll have no problems up in the twisties regardless of which one you choose. Definitely get Autopilot. Your call on FSD.

Definitely need some form of 240V receptacle in your parking area. Consider that you may want to get PG&E Time of Use metering so you can charge more economically in the middle of the night. With the current EV2-A plan, cheap rates start at midnight. So you want to be able to recover at least that 100 miles between midnight and whenever you leave in the morning. As a previous poster mentioned, you'd probably want at least a 30 amp (24 amps continuous) capability - which would give around 23 mph of charging. Starting at midnight, you'd recover your 100 miles before 5 AM. The LR battery pack cars can charge at as high as 48 amps continuous - which requires a 60 amp circuit and a dedicated EVSE (charging station) such as the Tesla Wall Connector.

I see you have a 2016 Volt. Thoughts on the car? Was debating about picking a used one up, which are below $20K, and keeping the R8. Would it be a painful drive/commute and what about maintenance etc.

Because it is noisy as heck and it’s firm ride can get old on long drives. I switched from Model 3 to X and it’s night and day difference in comfort. Around town or short drives the Model 3 is fine. OP is coming from an R8.

He should carefully test drive both S and 3.

First day I drove an S as a loaner for a Model 3 repair I wanted one.
Ahhh, personal taste here. I have both S and 3 and would prefer 3 for any distance.

I see you have a 2016 Volt. Thoughts on the car? Was debating about picking a used one up, which are below $20K, and keeping the R8. Would it be a painful drive/commute and what about maintenance etc.

We also have a 2016 Volt and for under $20K, it's not that bad of a commuter. Of course it doesn't have the neck snapping acceleration of a S, 3 or R8. It does have blind spot detection in the wing mirrors, rear cross traffic alert, lane keep assist, parking assist and heated steering wheel (missing on the 3). Maintenance so far has only been oil changes, tire rotation and one set of windshield wipers. If you get a 2017 Volt, Automatic Cruise Control was an option....

I guess for me, getting a Tesla is sort of an acceptance of getting out of the "car hobby" in a way. Growing up I was always into performance cars and tinkering with cars. Now that I am older and started a family, my time and priorities have changed.

The R8 feels like the "last straw" of my old self in a way, but at the same time, I see myself not driving it as much and more just a nice thing to have and to see in the garage. I can't wrap my head around saying "Yea, I sold my 22k mile, gated 6 speed V10 R8 for a Tesla"

I'd love to keep the R8, but I know if I just bought a 3rd car, it'd get driven even less.

We also have a 2016 Volt and for under $20K, it's not that bad of a commuter. Of course it doesn't have the neck snapping acceleration of a S, 3 or R8. It does have blind spot detection in the wing mirrors, rear cross traffic alert, lane keep assist, parking assist and heated steering wheel (missing on the 3). Maintenance so far has only been oil changes, tire rotation and one set of windshield wipers. If you get a 2017 Volt, Automatic Cruise Control was an option....

Pretty much the same experience here. We bought one of the first Gen 2 Volts to hit the Bay Area (Oct 2015). It is a loaded Premier with both Driver Confidence packages and built-in nav. My wife uses it for her 60 mile r/t commute. When she had charging at work, it was running 100% EV for months at a time - only burning gas every six weeks during Engine Maintenance Mode. Unfortunately she can't charge at work anymore - so she burns a couple tenths of a gallon on workdays.

The Voltec system is generally very reliable. GM does a great job thermally managing their battery packs for minimal degradation. Early on there were some firmware updates that required some trips to the dealer. We also had the infamous "shift to park" shifter problem - which was covered under warranty. (It is not Volt-specific as the same shifter part is used in other GM cars.) And yeah - I just changed the windshield wipers for the first time. Also just replaced the tires for the first time.

We've really liked the Volt, and my wife likes the security of the ICE range extender. But the Model 3 is really a different class of car. Faster, roomier, much better GUI, navigation, sound system, etc. Coming from an R8, you'd probably like the Model 3 better.

I think a used Volt is probably one of the best used car buys in the market though.

Last edited:
I guess for me, getting a Tesla is sort of an acceptance of getting out of the "car hobby" in a way. Growing up I was always into performance cars and tinkering with cars. Now that I am older and started a family, my time and priorities have changed.

The R8 feels like the "last straw" of my old self in a way, but at the same time, I see myself not driving it as much and more just a nice thing to have and to see in the garage. I can't wrap my head around saying "Yea, I sold my 22k mile, gated 6 speed V10 R8 for a Tesla"

I'd love to keep the R8, but I know if I just bought a 3rd car, it'd get driven even less.

You have received a lot of good advice on this forum and ultimately you have to make the decision.

Bottom line analogy... think of the Model 3 as an Audi RS 3 and the Model S as an Audi RS 5 Sportback.

You have received a lot of good advice on this forum and ultimately you have to make the decision.

Bottom line analogy... think of the Model 3 as an Audi RS 3 and the Model S as an Audi RS 5 Sportback.

Hah, except the RS3 can run 10 second qtr miles with a few bolt on mods :) No I get you

Now a quick question...so you can get a new Model 3 Performance for basically $65K out the door depending on your spec. Gives you 310 mile range with 3.3 0-60 performance. When I look at a S Performance, it shows 2.4 0-60, huge difference but also huge price cost. If you were to look for a potentially used Model S for that 2.4 0-60 speed, what are you looking at? Any 2018+ model? I believe the 2019 S is the one that got the new motor from the 3 which is why the range is higher?

I felt the same at the time I gave mine up. But I’ve taken my P3D to the track several times and the “track mode” of the P3D is amazing. Getting Up Performance Coilovers made a big difference too. I’m fortunate that the track I go to has a Supercharger 5 minutes away. That’s the biggest drawback for most people if they want to track the car. You need a place to charge afterwards that is close by and especially if you expect to do a full day of track runs.

• Informative
Reactions: Sean Wagner
Hah, except the RS3 can run 10 second qtr miles with a few bolt on mods :) No I get you

Now a quick question...so you can get a new Model 3 Performance for basically $65K out the door depending on your spec. Gives you 310 mile range with 3.3 0-60 performance. When I look at a S Performance, it shows 2.4 0-60, huge difference but also huge price cost. If you were to look for a potentially used Model S for that 2.4 0-60 speed, what are you looking at? Any 2018+ model? I believe the 2019 S is the one that got the new motor from the 3 which is why the range is higher?

Any P100D (the older name for the Model S Performance) would work. The key is you want the 100 KWh battery. If it's not a 2019 Raven version you will have lower range, slightly less acceleration, it won't have the latest autopilot computer, it won't be able to do full 1 pedal driving. Also if it's old enough it will have the older display (MCU1) which has some reliability problems and doesn't support some of the latest software like watching Youtube in your car.

How about a Model S Raven Long Range (non performance) ? It's $80k, has straight line acceleration similar to the Model 3 performance, but has the comfort of the S. Plus with 370 miles EPA range you've got the longest range EV ever made up to this point.

And there's the rumor the Model S is close to a major update (although that rumor has been ongoing for 2 years).

And they have done several updates
1) Raven refresh for more range and better acceleration
2) HW3
3) (Just done) Revise the front seats, thinner and supposedly more comfortable.

So yes, there will be additional changes, some known, most not. Just be happy with your purchase.

Just got back from a Tesla dealership. Got to drive 2 cars

1. Model 3 Performance on software 2019.32.11.1
Is this the latest software for peak power? Handling and everything on the car felt good but the power just didn't feel there. Although the 0-60 speeds were good, 70-75+ and flooring it was lack luster in comparison to my R8. I know the EV dies off at higher speeds, but is there any Tesla that will continue to have that strong pull feeling if you floor it going 70ish?

2. Model S LR on software 2019.36.2.2
Wanted to see how the S compared to a 3. I like the comfort and cockpit and screen of the S a ton more. Obviously I can't really compare power since it is a LR but I am interested in what a performance feels like. Perhaps it will address my wants at the higher speeds? Big downfall is obviously the braking and handling...again coming from a 3, I could easily tell the difference. I'm not surprised, but I liked the agileness of the 3 better.

On the software the cars were on, is there anything concerning/missing from them that would impact power?

• Informative
Reactions: Sean Wagner
There is nothing quite like an S performance for power and acceleration, at least for urban and suburban driving up to and past quasi legal speeds. If you are talking triple digits or the track, different story.

You definitely need to try one if you are on the fence or trying to make a decision.