Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have I locked in a price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course the big difference is inflation didn't sky rocket during the MY 2019/2020 rollout. US inflation was 2.3% in 2019, 1.4% in 2020. So far in 2021 inflation is 6.2% and very likely going higher in 2022 etc. No manufacturer can eat those cost increases and time will tell how consumers respond.

Sorry, the 100 was not an "order" so the prices is not locked in. Expect to pay more.
I have just took delivery of a model Y. The price went up $8k between the $100 deposit and delivery, but I paid the price posted at the time of the $100 deposit, so it was apparently an order. When you pay a down payment for a car or a house, or any dealing, it usually means it is for locking in the terms and price at that instant..

Reactions: T3SLAROD and Ogre
Of course the big difference is inflation didn't sky rocket during the MY 2019/2020 rollout. US inflation was 2.3% in 2019, 1.4% in 2020. So far in 2021 inflation is 6.2% and very likely going higher in 2022 etc. No manufacturer can eat those cost increases and time will tell how consumers respond.
Nor were the Democrats trying to push through an EV tax credit when the Cybertruck was revealed.

The product roadmap update will likely buy tesla some room to grow the pricing and still save some face. The more features that are standard now- that were NOT suggested at the original reveal work in their favor. For example, all CT are supposed to have 4 wheel steering now, but no one knew that when they put down their deposit. These enhancements will help Tesla justify the inevitable price increases. If they choose to not honor the original pricing, I'd be OK if Elon suggests honoring the as revealed prices adjusted with inflation. But it feels a bit bait and switchy to collect 1M pre-orders at one price point only to raise them. Contractually legal, but ugly.

The product roadmap update will likely buy tesla some room to grow the pricing and still save some face. The more features that are standard now- that were NOT suggested at the original reveal work in their favor. For example, all CT are supposed to have 4 wheel steering now, but no one knew that when they put down their deposit. These enhancements will help Tesla justify the inevitable price increases. If they choose to not honor the original pricing, I'd be OK if Elon suggests honoring the as revealed prices adjusted with inflation. But it feels a bit bait and switchy to collect 1M pre-orders at one price point only to raise them. Contractually legal, but ugly.
They are entirely evitable.

Reactions: HellsKitchen
What will the quad motor cost?
So, if we look at the new Ford F-150 increases today we can probably figure where it will land.

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 1.29.21 PM.png

I think this is a good indicator of where prices are going as well. Thanks for sharing.
However, I think Farley made the right decision to move in the direction of online sales to get rid of these unscrupulous dealers.
Can you believe a Ford F-150 Lightning dealer advertised for $69000 above MSRP? Come on, Man!

Perhaps the $7000 increase is reflecting that and the impending tax credit (kind of obviating the incentive).

The Ford boss aspires for a future wherein its dealership would no longer sell cars, ditching the price haggling that customers have to do with its salespeople, according to a recent report by Motor 1.

Farley wants all EV sales of Ford to be done online, bringing fixed prices for its products. (Telsa like).

The auto exec adds that "we got to go to non-negotiated price." He also says that the retail side of things needs to shift to "100 percent online."